Someone stop me, I'm getting GAS about Guitars again

That would have been great but I'd be WAY out of place with a seasoned guitarist. I'm a raw beginner and it looks like I'll stay one for a bit longer than I'd like! Cut my hand today trying to get into a panel box to throw a breaker on an AC unit that wasn't working! I'm furious with myself as it will hinder my practice time considerably. Heck, I don't have my pads yet! :'(

Not to worry, even the great Django only needed 2 fingers to play!

"by Joseph Dinkins

Django Reinhardt has astounded and thrilled numerous generations of guitar players and jazz lovers with his amazing command of the guitar. January 24th, 1910 at Liberchies Belgium, Django was born into the open air, rambling lifestyle of his gypsy parents. At the age of eight, his mother's tribe settled near the belt of fortifications that surrounded the old Paris, near the Choisy gate. He never wore a suit or lived in a real house until he was twenty years old. These French Gypsies or Manouches were a world unto themselves, medieval in their beliefs, and distrustful of modern science. Django grew up in this world of contradictions, one foot in the bustling big city of Paris and the other in the age-old life of the nomadic gypsy. Though born into poverty Django had the soul of a nobleman and this natural elegance of bearing and attitude expressed itself in his music.

It was at an early age Django became attracted to music. When twelve years old he received his first instrument, a banjo/guitar that was given to him by a neighbor who had noticed his keen interest in music. He quickly learned to play, mimicking the fingerings of musicians he watched. He was soon astounding adults with his ability on the guitar, and before he was thirteen he began his musical career playing with popular accordionist Guerino at a dance hall on the Rue Monge. He went on to play with numerous other bands and musicians and made his first recordings with accordionist Jean Vaissade for the Ideal Company. Since Django could not read or write at the time "Jiango Renard" was how his name appeared on these records.

On November 2nd, 1928 an event took place that would forever change Django's life. At one o'clock in the morning the 18 year old Django returned from a night of playing music at a new club "La Java" to the caravan that was now the home of himself and his new wife. The caravan was filled with celluloid flowers his wife had made to sell at the market on the following day. Django upon hearing what he thought was a mouse among the flowers bent down with a candle to look. The wick from the candle fell into the highly flammable celluloid flowers and the caravan was almost instantly transformed into a raging inferno. Django wrapped himself in a blanket to shield him from the flames. Somehow he and his wife made it across the blazing room to safety outside, but his left hand, and his right side from knee to waist were badly burned.

Initially doctors wanted to amputate his leg but Django refused. He was moved to a nursing home where the care was so good his leg was saved. Django was bedridden for eighteen months. During this time he was given a guitar, and with great determination Django created a whole new fingering system built around the two fingers on his left hand that had full mobility. His fourth and fifth digits of the left hand were permanently curled towards the palm due to the tendons shrinking from the heat of the fire. He could use them on the first two strings of the guitar for chords and octaves but complete extension of these fingers was impossible. His soloing was all done with the index and middle fingers! Film clips of Django show his technique to be graceful and precise, almost defying belief."

• 1 month later...

Well, that's what I'm trying to decide. I'm more of a keyboardist than I am a guitarist, so I find myself tapping a lot when I screw around on the guitar, but I want to learn guitar proper, hence the thought of getting the NS/Stick...but I love the sound of an active bass (and Chapman Stick, of course), so I'm thinking in that direction, too (also, we don't currently have a bassist in the band, and it'd be nice if I could double, at least as far as writing/recording goes). I guess the deciding factor is if I can get sufficient bass out of a NS/Stick to write basslines, or if I should just go straight to a Chapman Stick. I think I'll end up getting both over the next couple years, but I'm trying to decide which to get now (or rather, "...soonish", as they aren't cheap).

I dunno, they seem kind of gimmicky.
Dude, all of my guitars are gimmicky -- I have a plexiglass/acrylic one, an "aluminator" from Rogue, made entirely out of metal (with cutouts so that it doesn't way a ton), and a Steinberger (one of those headless/bodyless jobbers).
And only being able to produce notes by tapping would be a bit limiting over just using a guitar or bass.
Well, (a) most of the music I make is by tapping, for some reason (it just seemed natural); and (B) that's why I want the NS/Stick -- it can be strummed and picked and stuff. It would sort of ween me into playing "normal" guitar.

Someone also mentioned Warr guitars and Anderson something guitars, which I may look into as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was all set to buy a used "Parker" for $1790 at the local "Guitar Center". Thats when I saw her. A 1month old (never thought I would see me going for an import) Tradition "PRS" style 450 semi hollowbody. Red mahogany/bookmatched 1/8" maple flame top (no photo top/ real wood) with dual humbuckers and gold plateing. It was same as new condition. Very close action on the slim neck. Sounded better than the Gibson 335 semi hollowbodies. It is ultra well constructed for an imported guitar. Some, again I say SOME, of the imports have come of age and are a real bargain being well built and durable. Paid $250 out the door price. Bye bye Parker. :dance:

The Tradition 450 is very very light weight and plays as fast as if the neck was coated with cow snot varnish.

I read where, if you x-rayed a Gibson Les Paul Std. and a Tradition Les Paul copy, you would find plywood type lamination in the Gibby and solid mahogany in the Tradition. My 450 semi hollow body is advertised as all solid mahogany used in it's make-up except for the maple cap. I verified with Tradition Tech's that there is no lamination (except for the maple cap) as in the construction of the Gibson 335. So much for my genuine Gibson Les Paul Custom. I wonder what it's made out of? ???