Ordered Custom Amp.

Yikes

I have recently come to an agreement with a very talented builder. He is going to build two reference tube amplifiers (One for himself and one for me). It?s going to be a two chassis, all premium parts, Siltech G6 point to point wiring tube amplifier. He?s a single ended guy and I remain unconvinced that balanced is worth the trouble. So it?s going to be single ended. Since my source is single ended only it should work out well.

We?re still working out the exact circuit topology and ergonomics of the units; number of inputs, type of volume control, preamp outputs ect. I?ll be lucky if I get the finished amp by September. I think it?s more likely to be a killer Christmas present for myself. This will be something that should handily beat my current amp. It will also be built like a brick shit house.

I?m really excited. Now all I have to do is avoid the temptation to call the builder too often. A watched pot never boils. ::)

Congratulations, Ethan! I think I'm the one that should be envious of an amp, not you. :D

This will be something that should handily beat my current amp. It will also be built like a brick shit house.

Wow, that really should be something. We definitely need to have another mini-meet once you get this new custom amp in few months.

. He?s a single ended guy and I remain unconvinced that balanced is worth the trouble. So it?s going to be single ended.

Assuming by single ended you mean SET, you can still have a balanced SET amp, just use two and use on channel on each for the + and the other for the -. >:D

SET is a tube topology, charlie.

I know, I couldn't tell if he was reffering to it being a Single Ended Triode amp like the Noise Duality amp, or just single ended... :P

The comment that he was a "single ended guy" is usually applied to people who make SET amps, not people who don't make balanced amps. Whatever. ;D

Guest sacd lover

What output tubes are you using .... 2a3/ 300b ..... or something else? Are you going to have the amp made with tube or solid state rectification? Will the amp be OTL or transformer coupled? Dont hold back :-X ..... let us know.

I don?t know Blackie, and at the National I missed listening to his amp.

Until the exact circuit topology is decided the builder shall remain anonymous. I will say that he is definitely not a DIYer. There are probably hints in my past postings that would give the identity away.

Hell if it?s as good as we anticipate it might just make it into production.

I just might keep it a secret, with occasional photos of the build process.

• 3 weeks later...

Work is progressing. It begins to look like the amps might be done by September. In discussing the topology and structural design we?re getting very excited about this project. The prospect of having a one (Two actually. One for me and one for him) off attack on the state of the art headphone amp is beginning to become an obsession.

By the way a couple of people were right. The builder and designer is John Tucker. This amp may make it into limited production, although that is not his intent, nor is it mine. After modifying my ASL MG Head OTL/32 we were amazed at the performance that was achieved by this humble little amp. John worked miracles on the OTL/32. Ask people who have heard my Exemplar OTL/32, everyone who has heard it has raved about it.

We haven?t even talked about what the amp is going to cost. My guess is that it won?t be as expensive as the Noise Duality 300B Amp. It also won?t be as large, or as cool looking, although we are looking towards a high level of fit n finish.

So ends the update.

That?s it.

I believe that at this point it would be premature to contact him about this project. I?m not sure that he is aware that I am posting about it. Not that we?re sworn to secrecy or anything. I do know that he is very busy and fielding calls about this might not be the best use of his time.

Of course if you have a piece of gear that you?d like to have modded I consider him to offer the very best mods around.

Ha! I didn?t even notice it until you called my attention to it.

Man you have to be careful what you say around here, some Dinosaur Mother Fucker will take one mild Monty Python allusion and create a custom title for you.

I?m just glad that it wasn?t a Gay Boys in Bondage allusion. ;)

Still it?s a pretty cool title. 8)