Southern California CAN MEET 10/18/08

For those that are interested in a DIY table and participating, please list also what DIY gear and supplies you can bring.

Here's what I have equipment wise so far:

Metcal SP200 Soldering Station

Metcal SP440 Desoldering Station

Keithley 2000 Multimeter (kind of overkill and pretty large, handy really if someone really wants to use kelvin leads and match resistors)

Fluke 110 portable DMM

Helping Hands (free standing and table clamped versions)

Flush cutters

Ideal Custom Stripmaster (sizes 16-26awg)

Erem flush cutters

Dewalt 14.4V 1/2" Battery powered drill

Various drill bits including stepped drill bits

Various screwdrivers.

I'd like to avoid bringing all of it, so if others have some that duplicate what I have, that would be great if they could bring it as well. And of course, any Vendor or Member that is having amp or other equipment malfunctions at the meet is more than welcome to borrow my stuff to help fix their stuff.

Parts:

PIMETA PCB (I might have two, I know I have at least one)

Various Resistors (not sure if I have a full matched set)

Various Capacitors (electrolytic and others)

Will have to look at my supply and see what else I have available, including if I still have a Hammond case still available. I might just part out an old PIMETA of mine and leave the inputs and outputs, so that all that is needed is to put in a finished PCB. Case work eats up quite a bit of time, so I'm not sure there would be enough time to do both PCB stuffing and case work during the meet.

-Ed

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

909, any chance you can get On A Higher Note to either bring or loan the Luxman P-1? I'd be really interested in hearing the amp to see how it fares with my AT headphones in particular.

Working on that already, we shall see.

I too am very interested in the Luxman P-1.

thanks Greg -- good to see you've got my back.

here's the ticket-holder update:

1. guzziguy

2. guzziguy's guest

3. velogreg

4. jp11801

5. melomaniac

6. ldj325

7. edwood

8. Hunted Charlie

9. soundfreq

10. jbucla2005

11. BRBJackson

12. Mazuki

13. zippy2001

14. blubliss

15. Asr

16. santacore

17. Iron_Dreamer

18. Uncle Erik

19. FrankCooter

20. G.Kennedy

BTW, for the DIY Table, I don't think it's feasible to finish an entire PIMETA in one day at the meet. Especially since I don't want to be the only one doing all the soldering. Unless others want to chip in with soldering and assembly, it can be a "cooking show" style session or maybe just a practice session where we trash a PIMETA board. i.e. Everyone gets a chance to solder stuff without regards to whether or not the stuff survives.

Any thoughts?

-Ed

909, any chance you can get On A Higher Note to either bring or loan the Luxman P-1? I'd be really interested in hearing the amp to see how it fares with my AT headphones in particular.

Asr, you have your wish. Luxman has agreed to participate and they will have their P-1 there for reviews. I hope to get some real time with this as well. :D

here's the ticket-holder update:

1. guzziguy

2. guzziguy's guest

3. velogreg

4. jp11801

5. melomaniac

6. ldj325

7. edwood

8. Hunted Charlie

9. soundfreq

10. jbucla2005

11. BRBJackson

12. Mazuki

13. zippy2001

14. blubliss

15. Asr

16. santacore

17. Iron_Dreamer

18. Uncle Erik

19. FrankCooter

20. G.Kennedy

With the 20 tickets and two trade members prerequisite met, does this turn from from a Provisional Meet to an actual headphone meet?

For the DIY Table:

Are you guys OK with everyone just messing around with and possibly just destroying a PIMETA board for amp building practice, or do you all want to build a working amp during the meet? I'll be on hand to a few soldering demos, but won't be assembling the entire amp. I figured everyone could get a chance to solder different kinds of components. I'll just have to find some cheap SOIC-8 OP amps, don't want to sacrifice an OPA627. Anyone have cheap or better yet dead SOIC-8 OP amps to donate for soldering practice? If we only have a few, I can keep desoldering them, and then letting people resolder them.

As for making Interconnects, I can do a complete demo on the assembly of one. I think I might have a pair of Neutrik Pro-Fi RCA's lying around, otherwise I can make do with whatever anyone else brings in.

-Ed

Boy do I wish I could join you all. But Starkville, MS is a long way from Southern California especially for me right now. I do have a favor to ask of all you lucky participants. I talked to Craig today and there's a good chance he'll be introducing another new amp: the Aficionado with an amazing new AD1 tube from Emision labs. Craig is going to be interested in how folks see/hear it in comparison to the BA which will be ready w/in the same time frame. Since I'm in for the BA, I'm also interested in all your experieces. So while you're there having a grand 'ol time, when you get to Craig's new stuff I'd reallly appreciate your extra sensory perceptions! Photos of course would be great! :dan

Yeah, I just heard the same news from Craig and am in the same position as I already put in a deposit for the BA as well.

If I'm not traveling, I'll definitely drive down to the meet and test it out.

Craig says he's flexible as to which amp our deposit will go for as either amp will be the same price except for the price of the tubes...btw, those AD1s are up there in price!

Oh, and it will not be in the be in a BA housing. More "boiler plate" and simplified stye amp. Nothing showing on the top but tubes, no screws; 1/2" thin Delrin plates. Very elegant. Craig's not sending it out. He's doing the work initially. Whataguy! I means he's just so right bith creatively and technically; and then you combine him and Paul doing all this ol' Moth style colaboration. I can't take it. Ain't we got fun?

But now that they'll be a second alternative as if the BA wasn't going to be enought and we'll have a choice about what will be the current the "Best o' Craig," So I'm counting on you all (I hear you have some "bitchin" phones 909 and ears to match, as well as Sir Iron Dreamer, hell I've gone to ASR for his esteemed opinion for neigh over a decade now, a quarter century. Times just a rubber band.). So I really can't wait to hear what you all think. Craig his put his heart and soul in these new babies. I've been talking to him and following the progression of sketches. This is gonna' be some kinda' miracle. Lead to world peace; cure for the common cold; even bring the Cubs their first World Series in 100 years (Oh, that may be a stretch) I'm tellin' ya,' I'm not one for exageration, dramatics, or hyperbali, but...starting at the Southern CA meet as Craig brings forth his pair of wonders we are in line for cosmic realighnment and the begining of the real Age of Acquarius. So "give me a head of a hair, let the sun shine in and...let me know how the planets align for you when you a/b the BA and the Aficionado. All of us first in on the BAs are counting on you.

Most importantly. Have a great time! :jacob:

Update, a little recap and important new info...

Hotel Address: 5711 West Century Boulevard, Los Angeles, California, United States 90045

Date: Saturday, October 18, 2008

Time: 10:30AM to 6:00PM

If you need hotel accommodations, try Hotels.com.

Ticket-Holders:

1. guzziguy

2. guzziguy's guest

3. velogreg

4. jp11801

5. melomaniac

6. ldj325

7. edwood

8. Hunted Charlie

9. soundfreq

10. jbucla2005

11. BRBJackson

12. BRBJackson's guest

13. Mazuki

14. zippy2001

15. blubliss (bought four tix to support the event, even though, he plans on using two -- thank you, Andy!)

16. blubliss' guest

17. Asr

18. santacore

19. Iron_Dreamer

20. Uncle Erik

21. FrankCooter

22. G.Kennedy

22. NU62

24. Jasper994

25. 909

Eddie Current, HeadAmp, Smyth Research, and Ray Samuels are all onboard! :wink_face:

If you’re interested in attending CAN MEET, please PM me with your email address to get the advance e-ticket details and post in this thread you would like to attend and what, if anything, you plan to bring. I’ll PM you with the ticket purchase details--purchase as many tickets as you would like, please include number of guests, if any, in your PM.

Members: $15 per admission ticket

Member of the Trade: $89 per table