Which CDP would sweet EAR HP4 & GS1000 rig at most

Blackmore

I've been in the same situation, only with HD650s & HP4. Mentally, I think I've thus far eliminated Esoteric off my list of candidates, as well as Rega.

The ones I'm looking at now are the Capitole Mk II, Ear Acute, Cary 306, Emm Labs, and the Krell. More or less in that order, I suppose.

It makes little difference now, since I have to save a bit for any of the above anyway. Hopefully I'll have narrowed down my choices by the time I've got the money.

The Ear Acute doesn't have a digital input. Not an outright deal-breaker, but its something I'd like to have for simplicity's sake, as I've got plenty of lossless on my computer. But some of the reviews have been very enticing, to say the least.

Well, because HD650 are totally different than GS1k, I wonder if we can share the same CDP with correct results. For example, just what I could read so far, Arcam MFJ36 seems to be very good CDP, but than again to dry/cold for GS1000, especially bass reproduction of older or records with lower bass quantity, isn't ideal. Have the same issue with my NAD, which simply a great for the money, but I need one which can get the most of any record, old or new one, and bring it to my ears as natural possible.

Another thing is that the price range of your choice isn't my preference/wiliness to spend now, or ever, want to keep it most "real", if I can say so.

I have got some hint about old Marantz CD94 MKII CDP, but the price of it is ridicously high, imo.

How about the Linn? Seems to be a very musical player.

I've been in the same situation, only with HD650s & HP4. Mentally, I think I've thus far eliminated Esoteric off my list of candidates, as well as Rega.

The ones I'm looking at now are the Capitole Mk II, Ear Acute, Cary 306, Emm Labs, and the Krell. More or less in that order, I suppose.

It makes little difference now, since I have to save a bit for any of the above anyway. Hopefully I'll have narrowed down my choices by the time I've got the money.

The Ear Acute doesn't have a digital input. Not an outright deal-breaker, but its something I'd like to have for simplicity's sake, as I've got plenty of lossless on my computer. But some of the reviews have been very enticing, to say the least.

The phones will sound different, no doubt. But I personally dont want to let my headphones be any sort of deciding factor for which CD player I get. In my case, the headphones cost me ~$330. Even at $1000, its not something I'd want to place emphasis on, if I was looking at any source $3k and up.

My general attitude is, give me something as neutral yet natural as possible, with good tone and data retrieval, mico and macro. The headphones will add their own sound on it, but I just dont see that as a deciding factor.

I know most disagree, and strive for synergy, but I'll probably be running god-knows-what brand of speakers with the same CD player eventually, using god-knows-what amp. I want a CD player that will work with anything. Maybe thats a bit lofty though.

I suppose if I were looking for slightly cheaper sources, I may view it a bit differently.

I agree with you that hp must not be the factor up here, but listen through the speakers is something different from hp. Also the differences may not be the huge factor, when you get USD 3k source, cos they all sounds good, but for different folks only...;)

To tell you the true, I do not want to spend such money for a source, must be a cheaper solution, imo, but on the other hand I do not mind if people does8)

The phones will sound different, no doubt. But I personally dont want to let my headphones be any sort of deciding factor for which CD player I get. In my case, the headphones cost me ~$330. Even at $1000, its not something I'd want to place emphasis on, if I was looking at any source $3k and up.

My general attitude is, give me something as neutral yet natural as possible, with good tone and data retrieval, mico and macro. The headphones will add their own sound on it, but I just dont see that as a deciding factor.

I know most disagree, and strive for synergy, but I'll probably be running god-knows-what brand of speakers with the same CD player eventually, using god-knows-what amp. I want a CD player that will work with anything. Maybe thats a bit lofty though.

I suppose if I were looking for slightly cheaper sources, I may view it a bit differently.

Practically, I think the best way for you to find a CDP is to audition (if possible) or buy used and sell what you don't like. Audiogon makes it easy to do the latter. You might as well roll a dice to determine your buying decision otherwise.

As I've heard the GS1000 a few times (stock and re-cabled with Equinox and ALO), I don't envy your position - pairing equipment with it is going to be complicated. But from here, all I can see is your wallet and the ordeal that's imminent... :P

I have no experience with the models you're looking at, but Audio Aero could be a good choice if the Prima that I previously owned was even a slight indication of the Capitole - it was nicely rich-sounding and had quite the mid-range.

Well, I dont think it could be that difficult if I lived in US, which have a better choices, regarding Audiogon, however when I check some second hand market up here, its not that bad at all, but going the same way as I did with amps/phones, isnt my preference at all, especially within EU.

I think your idea of roll a dice isnt that bad, but only if the price is right, cos reselling up here is not that easy.

The meaning of the thread, at least what I thought, was to get an idea of possible choices and I think I am getting the picture:eek:

Thanks for your input, and, I relly like your English8)

Practically, I think the best way for you to find a CDP is to audition (if possible) or buy used and sell what you don't like. Audiogon makes it easy to do the latter. You might as well roll a dice to determine your buying decision otherwise.

As I've heard the GS1000 a few times (stock and re-cabled with Equinox and ALO), I don't envy your position - pairing equipment with it is going to be complicated. But from here, all I can see is your wallet and the ordeal that's imminent... :P

I have no experience with the models you're looking at, but Audio Aero could be a good choice if the Prima that I previously owned was even a slight indication of the Capitole - it was nicely rich-sounding and had quite the mid-range.

• 2 weeks later...

THX:palm:

I have had some time with a Cary 306 and my GS1000s. I don't remember what the headamp was, just it was very neutral. But I do remember the source, best I have heard. The GS1000s worked very well with the 306. Very involving. If I had the money I would buy a 306 at the drop of a hat.

Simon