Sony XA-5400ES

JBLoudG20

Unless you plan to listen to REAL loud levels constantly (say 'party') it is always a best bet to let the receivers on '8 ohm': here the internal PSU is its max output and the amp section has the most headroom. With 4-ohm setting it may sound less dynamic, yes.

But if you combine low impedance speakers AND loud levels, the current goes too high and there is not enough aluminium inside, nor fans powerful enough, to cope the extra W dissipated, and the amps sections shuts themselves off (thermal protection).

This happens really rarely, and is safe (reversible) unless some component shows its internal magic (they do in a smoke form), even more rare.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting.

I was looking at amps and this Bryston 9B SST has basically the perfect specs for what I'd be getting.

I guess I'd have to run pre-outs from the Sony unit through a preamp of some sort, then to the Bryston. Probably more complicated than its worth, I don't know. I'm just not sure how nice the amp sections of the Sony receiver will be with revealing speakers like Thiel.

I guess I could always just skip the surrounds and go with 2.0 to get a similar Bryston amp sooner.

Too many choices.

:confused: keep in mind the Sony is just an (analogue) stereo machine. To have multichanel you need a decoder, and to have best multichannel (using the hdmi HATS) you need a Sony latest decoder (just 5400 or 6400).

You may then decide to use an external power amp: fine. My advice will be to use just a stereo one for the front main channels, that way the internal amp/psu of the receiver will be much less stressed (less stress = better sound).

Many people (me included) have multichannel/home cinema configured this way (AV receiver + stereo power amp).

:confused: keep in mind the Sony is just an (analogue) stereo machine. To have multichanel you need a decoder, and to have best multichannel (using the hdmi HATS) you need a Sony latest decoder (just 5400 or 6400).

You may then decide to use an external power amp: fine. My advice will be to use just a stereo one for the front main channels, that way the internal amp/psu of the receiver will be much less stressed (less stress = better sound).

Many people (me included) have multichannel/home cinema configured this way (AV receiver + stereo power amp).

I'm definitely not grasping something here, I'm just not sure what.

I thought that if I was going to use the Sony receiver and send the unamplified signal out to a power amp, that the Sony was the decoder you mention. So for television purposes, the Sony would act as the DAC, and instead of using its internal amplification, use a dedicated external amp.

I do have the Sony XA-5400ES, which would go to the receiver via HDMI, which is definitely the optimal connection between the two. I'm assuming that sending this signal out to external amps after its reached the receiver would not be at a significant SQ loss (after all the whole point would be better SQ) ?

I do have the Sony XA-5400ES, which would go to the receiver via HDMI, which is definitely the optimal connection between the two. I'm assuming that sending this signal out to external amps after its reached the receiver would not be at a significant SQ loss (after all the whole point would be better SQ) ?

This is right.

From Sony player -> Sony receiver (digital via HDMI HATS) -> External power amp/s (via RCA analogue), best SQ in multichannel.

• 1 month later...

Digging up an old thread here a bit, but has anyone here had a chance to listen/use STR-DA6400ES or STR-DA5400ES receiver? I'm looking for either a good pre/pro or receiver for my HT rig now that my ModWright preamp has been sold.

I was initially thinking of going with Emotiva's new pre/pro (& a power amp) but it appears that it won't be available until January or later unless you were on the pre-order list (which I'm not).

I had the 5400 receiver and was pretty good. It is not up to Onkyo 906 buliding standard, but I will put on par wit it and Yamaha Z7 on SQ and general usability-day to day reward (had both and Pio etc too).

But as said, if you do not 'need' the ultimatest, you can do well with something good pre-hdmi and a switcher ;)

Well, the Mrs wasn’t too enamored with the idea of adding more speakers into the living room, so I’m basically back to square one (and contend with just adding a sub).

I was looking at receivers since it would’ve been most convenient for the Mrs after it had been set up (one thing to turn one, no need to remember the on/off order, remote controls everything, and etc.).

Let’s see if I can go find a nice integrated or pre with nice DAC built-in for not too much.

if someone finds an AVR600 for 2k$ I want two!!

This beast is by FAR the best integrated AV I ever had at home. And I had quite a few ;)

A stereo setup plus subwoofer is a good route to happiness. I recently helped a friend to setup such a system and one wonders a bit why the hassle of everything else... at least if the stereo was good to start with.

Look for an used Onkyo 905 and you will be very happy with it (beware of your back when carrying it however). Excellent multichannel but very good stereo too, multiple inputs and HDMI switching, 'net' capacity.

Regards

Josep

• 4 months later...

I've been re-reading this thread.

I know that it is completely counter-intuitive, but if you want a dac that has the

same parts as the 5400 in it (and the same exact sound qualities) then you have

to buy the str-da6400es receiver, and use just a very small part of it.

Soon there will be a preamp/processor that is the same as the 6400 without the

power amps inside.

Does anyone know if this ever came out? If so, what is the model #? Are there any other Sony products that have the 5400's DAC section, a decent analogue output stage and a digital input?

Does anyone know if this ever came out? If so, what is the model #? Are there any other Sony products that have the 5400's DAC section, a decent analogue output stage and a digital input?

As far as I know, the pre/pro hasn't come out and I couldn't find any info regarding it on Sony's website. As for what else has 5400's DAC section, no clue.

As far as I know, the pre/pro hasn't come out and I couldn't find any info regarding it on Sony's website. As for what else has 5400's DAC section, no clue.

Before posting in here, I did some googling and came up with jack squat. In fact, most of the meaningful results were back here on H-C. I did find this guy's Flickr page in the same search. Is that a head-caser?

(Still mining this thread.) Kevin said this a bit later:

Sony is coming out with a new $3k beast the very beginning of

next year. Also a hats balanced digital preamp, also about $3k.

I'm hazarding a wild guess that Sony hasn't released ^^that either yet.

AFAIK no 'interesting' new products from Sony, not in EU at least. They upgraded the 5400 receiver to 5500: it just ads DLNA capacity, new HD-DCS sound modes (not as useful as ther classic ones btw) and everything else is exactly the same as per 5400.

I liked how the SACD and receiver sounded together (5400 units) with HDMI-HATS activated, but this looks very much like another good technology 'show' that no one else will care about. Pioneer and Denon have their own 'ways' to make HDMI connections sound better with music too, off course all different and incompatible...

The SACD 5400 by itself is a good but not great player IMO (and the balanced outs a bit of a 'fake' as I said already in this thread IIRC).

• 2 months later...
The Xa5400es works really well with the diy T2, so that is what i'll be

bringing to CJ. Otherwise i would bring the krell, but the sony is a bit more

sturdy and a lot cheaper to replace if it gets trashed.

I fear the Sony is not expensive enough to use with the T2.