Best Single Ended USB DAC under 1000?

Jeepster

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was considering the 740C but I dont need a transport and would like to have USB. Dac1 w/usb is over my price range. I want something smooth and musical, another reason im shying away from the Dac1. I like all kinds of music except country and opera. Classic rock and Jazz mostly.

Also consider adding $150 or so into your budget for a USB -> toslink/coaxial transport like the Blue Circle Thingee or something and then getting a DAC without USB. Or some sort of PCI interface with digital out.

same chip as Thingee and Trends UD10

There is the possibility that the Trends might sound better than the Thingee using its optional external PS.

As far as the Thingee goes, I'm not sure it does anything more than the $50 usb converter from DIY.... except that DIY mentions that you should power the chip separately and not from the usb connection if you want it to sound good and the Thingee is USB powered.

picture.JPG

I can recommend a MHDT Havana, if NOS DACs, no opamp and tube (coupled?) output appeals to you.

I use it via USB from my PC without much issue, though I do plan on trying it out with coax at some point.

The things that attracted me to this DAC were the positive reviews, the build quality, the price and good impression from owning the cheaper Paradisea+.

The Havana is a solid step up and good value imo.

Pico will sound better than the DA100 Signature? Reason I ask is because I rather have all the extra inputs and outputs and don't really have a use for a portable. I have DVD player I want to use as a transport as well as the computer.

Not necessarily better, more likely just different. The Pico is a bargain for the quality of the DAC, assuming you don't need more I/O options than it has.