General speaker-buying tips?

Asr

I'm planning on building a 2.0 speaker system for music and movies for a home-theater setup within the next 3-4 months, so I recently started researching speakers, receivers, DVD players, and HDTVs (I'm still creaking by with an analog TV so I'll have to get an HDTV before February next year anyway).

Have never really listened to speakers much, but I've been reading various audio mags for a while now so I at least have a general idea & direction. However, I could probably use some general speaker-buying tips, as far as dealers, auditions, and decisions go. As in, would it be acceptable form if I took my Plinius CDP around with me and asked dealers to unseat their sources so I can plug mine in? :P What do you listen for in a speaker versus a headphone? On average how long does it take to get a good listening impression of a speaker? Et al. So if anyone has any tips, including the newbish ones, throw 'em at me.

I already know of course that speakers all sound different which is why I'm not going to ask for a recommendation of any one model or brand - I'm sure I'll be auditioning speakers a lot throughout the next few months. But I am putting together a shortlist of models from Athena, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, and PSB - any suggestions of other brands I'm missing?

And my requirements:

- <$1K budget

- floorstanders or mini-monitors, no higher than 5'

- bass driver(s) must be at least 5.25" (let's just say I know what kind of bass comes from smaller drivers)

- must sound good to discerning ears :D

Even though its a "recommend what I own" recommendation I'll just throw Quad in the brand hat. I currently own the 22Ls, they have prodigious bass, a wonderful midrange, and crisp treble (whose level is easily adjusted with toe-in), but they would certainly benefit from a larger room then I have them in.

As far as monitors go, I used to own the 12L actives, and I wish I had not have sold them. Lacking in bass, of course, but otherwise they were like the 22L midrange and treble wise, and nice soundstage in the nearfield. Would probably be nice paired with a sub.

Good luck in your search, and have fun researching. Do keep us abreast of your impressions of the various models you listen to.

For home theater duty you should figure in for a subwoofer as well, when able.

5.25" driver is not too small if you have the sub, but >6.0" would be better

I'll add a subwoofer when I live in a place where neighbors can't hear through the walls. It's one of the reasons I've been into headphones as much as I have. ;)

And of course 6.5" bass drivers are preferrable.

For monitors I doubt you'd find anything new as good as these for the price. If you don't mind buying used though there's tons of good speakers on audiogon.

One of the tough things with demoing speakers is that they probably won't sound the same in your place as they do in the store. If you buy new make sure they have a good return policy.

two great points about buying use is the price and you don't have to burn them in..and unlike headphone amps or other shit speaker burn in is a fact. burning them in can be a real pain in the ass...

one more reason why i will never buy new speakers again.

if you go used you can get a set of dynaudio 122's. they fit all your requirments and are well noted for Home theater. their MTM design makes them seriously great for music listening and they will last you forever!

You could certainly do worse than a pair of Aperion 6Bs for $700. I have a bunch of their stuff in my HT and it's very good for the money.

Plus they have the best return policy in the business. You can listen to the speakers in your own room for 30 days and if you don't like them in the end it won't cost you a dime. They'll give you a full refund and pay shipping both ways.

Picture12.png

About all I have to offer is that it's worth some extra effort to audition stuff in conditions as similar to those that you'll be using them in as possible and with as much of your own equipment as is feasible. And for both Audio and HT you might have a look at Paradigm's Reference Series. In your budget there should be a few options and you could also give a listen to some of their Monitor series as well. There should be dealer within driving distance and honestly I'd think long and hard before purchasing used speakers especially if shipping is involved.

About all I have to offer is that it's worth some extra effort to audition stuff in conditions as similar to those that you'll be using them in as possible and with as much of your own equipment as is feasible. And for both Audio and HT you might have a look at Paradigm's Reference Series. In your budget there should be a few options and you could also give a listen to some of their Monitor series as well. There should be dealer within driving distance and honestly I'd think long and hard before purchasing used speakers especially if shipping is involved.

I can vouch that the Paradigm Ref 100s are very good. Detailed, great soundstage, neutral and extended top to bottom, but not too bright. But if you have bright rig or like a rolled off sound they may not be well suited to your tastes.

Four words. Rocky. Mountain. Audio. Fest.

Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2008

The best of the best and everything in between will be there. Plan on spending the weekend listening to everything. I would think after that you should have a good feeling for what you like.

There are some pretty good stores in the Denver area. For Paradigm, I don't know about Denver but there is The Stereo Shop in the Springs. Dealt with them before and they are some pretty good guys.

Regardless of where you get them from, make sure you can audition them in your room with your equipment. It varies from speaker to speaker but room interactions can drastically change the "sound" on most speakers. Internet dealers generally give you 30 days so plan accordingly. Most respectable brick-and-mortars will also give you a return period but you generally have to pay-up-front unless you have a well-established relationship with the dealer.

Oh and another vote for the Paradigms. Now that our family room is done, (The carpet is going in as I type this) I will be buying the Studio Ref 100's, Studio Ref 20's and the CC-690 Center.

I am putting together a shortlist of models from Athena, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, and PSB - any suggestions of other brands I'm missing?

And my requirements:

- <$1K budget

- floorstanders or mini-monitors, no higher than 5'

- bass driver(s) must be at least 5.25" (let's just say I know what kind of bass comes from smaller drivers)

- must sound good to discerning ears :D

If you thought choosing your source was tough, picking speakers is at least an order of magnitude harder and more crucial. While there are plenty of nice box speakers, such as on your list, speaker audition should always include some reasonable alternatives: Planar-magnetic (Magnepan), electrostats (Martin Logans (urggg), used Quads, older Acoustats, used Innersounds (budget-stretcher), etc), single-drivers and/or horns.

I'll say this much. If you are a planar lover (yet undiscovered), you will regret not going with one from the get-go, and vice versa.

Von Schweikert is another brand I would take a look at. Buying used is good IMHO. I bought a pair unheard based upon my brother's recommendation and have been quite happy with them.

One factor that I really like about the VR4 Gen IIs that I bought several years ago is the soundstage and the ability to move around without it collapsing much. My other brother has a pair of Apogees, and while they do sound great, moving your head 1/2" significantly changes the soundstage.