Purity Audio - updated website and product info

omendelovitz

Other than the word Head-fiers in the first sentence on the first page, it looks good. :P

I've been to many meets this year including CanJam and have never seen, much less heard your amps. Would you be willing to send a demo KICAS and/or Caliente to meets? If so, I'd be willing to set up and watch a table for you at the upcoming SoCal meet in October.

Other than the word Head-fiers in the first sentence on the first page, it looks good. :P

I've been to many meets this year including CanJam and have never seen, much less heard your amps. Would you be willing to send a demo KICAS and/or Caliente to meets? If so, I'd be willing to set up and watch a table for you at the upcoming SoCal meet in October.

I'll see what I can arrange for you. Right now Skylab over at the other site has my KICAS as he loaned his Caliente to Nick20 for a fledgling loaner program - as murphy would have it, Nick20 (who has great feedback and community participation) is MIA - until we can get the amp back from him, my loaner program died during birth:mad:. Needless to say I'm not happy about the situation (though there may be a good reason behind Nick20's disappearance that will only reveal itself in time) and am a little hesitant about future loans, as you can imagine.

Just personal preference, I hate rectangular power switches and with everything else no the front panel being round in nature it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Nate, I agree totally - problem is, that was the only switch we could find that fit the price bill and the size. We had a much nicer switch originally, that fit the price range, but in a design misstep (one of only a few, to Peter's credit), Peter didn't consider the switch size - when we mounted it, it protruded too far and flexed the protoboard. The only other option would have been mounting the switch higher on the amp, which would look just as ugly b/c of alignment assymmetry. There are always trade-offs, Vince...

I'll see what I can arrange for you. Right now Skylab over at the other site has my KICAS as he loaned his Caliente to Nick20 for a fledgling loaner program - as murphy would have it, Nick20 (who has great feedback and community participation) is MIA - until we can get the amp back from him, my loaner program died during birth:mad:. Needless to say I'm not happy about the situation (though there may be a good reason behind Nick20's disappearance that will only reveal itself in time) and am a little hesitant about future loans, as you can imagine.

Hopefully Nick20 will reappear soon. As to me, I like going to MOA and SoFla parties too much to risk it for an amp. You won't have to worry about me until you make a tube amp that rivals Voltron's SDS-XLR. ;)

There are always trade-offs, Vince...

I'd suggest that any misalignment-induced visual pain could be minimized by relocation of the Kicas label so that it and the switch form a group to help it feel more symmetrical. And even the misalignment of round things would be preferable to my eye to all of sudden coming across this clunky rectangular switch.

You have to bear in mind that once you make the leap into the fully commercial realm (as you guys have) I'm going to hold you to the same standard that I do Tyll, Justin, Ray, etc.

You have to bear in mind that once you make the leap into the fully commercial realm (as you guys have) I'm going to hold you to the same standard that I do Tyll, Justin, Ray, etc.

And they all have products aesthetics down to the 'T'. The K.I.C.A.S. screams cheap to me, and I think the stickers add to the cheap look. Overall its just looks too DIY'ish. Of course, these are just recommendations for future improvements. If the amp sounds a good as you say it does, tie it all together with some nice packaging.

...Ray, etc.

And they all have products aesthetics down to the 'T'.

:kitty:

The success of the Purity Audio stuff begins with the name. Find something different- if you want to stay within your theme, call it KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), because that's somewhat recognizable, and it rolls off the tongue well.

Details matter, and the "oh so extreme pure signal paths like whoa" thing can only take you so far.

Hopefully Nick20 will reappear soon. As to me, I like going to MOA and SoFla parties too much to risk it for an amp. You won't have to worry about me until you make a tube amp that rivals Voltron's SDS-XLR. ;)

I'll keep that in mind, LOL. AFAIK, Peter and I won't get near that as Peter doesn't want to touch UL and/or sell high V apps while we're this two man crew operation;)

aesthetic points noted, all, but for this unit we're sticking with the cheap, reliable and awesome sounding motif. Future releases will improve in the looks dept., but the niche we looked to fill here is similar to the 'xin' model, but with good service and proper customer care. For fancy looking units that trade SQ for looks, and/or cost a pretty penny (but sound awesome), other makers can be consulted.

Remember the 197x Honda Civc? How about the Hyundai Pony?:cool: - one has to start somewhere...

Peter's already playing with a newer design that will be more expensive, have a lower noise floor, and better dynamic response; it will also have more power output and will look better, I promise.

aesthetic points noted, all, but for this unit we're sticking with the cheap, reliable and awesome sounding motif. Future releases will improve in the looks dept., but the niche we looked to fill here is similar to the 'xin' model, but with good service and proper customer care. For fancy looking units that trade SQ for looks, and/or cost a pretty penny (but sound awesome), other makers can be consulted.

That's completely not the point. With some careful thought and design you can come up with something that looks better with little to no extra cost. You can be cost-effective and reliable and Spartan-looking without looking "cheap".

That's completely not the point. With some careful thought and design you can come up with something that looks better with little to no extra cost. You can be cost-effective and reliable and Spartan-looking without looking "cheap".

If you can show me a better looking, properly fitting outer parts for the amount of money our current externals cost, not only will I change the look, I'll thank you for the help! Other than buying large volume, expensive parts from east Asia, I've found nothing that meets the needs otherwise.

Here's a start: take off the KICAS logo, integrate the text of the name of the amp into the other sticker with the Purity Audio logo. YMMV, IMHO, etc., but that would make it look better to me, at least.

Maybe fool with the locations of parts if possible, the power switch doesn't need to be soldered to the board directly, etc...

You guys remember the HeadAmp Gilmore V1 & V2 ?! They weren't that beautiful and still were commercial products despite their somewhat DIY look. It's hard to get it right the first time, everybody has to start somewhere.

I do agree about that flimsy rocker switch, one can really do better than that cheap looking piece of plastic.

Keep up the good work and it's nice to see an audio company putting SQ & good value before anything else. It's rare nowadays.

If you can show me a better looking, properly fitting outer parts for the amount of money our current externals cost, not only will I change the look, I'll thank you for the help! Other than buying large volume, expensive parts from east Asia, I've found nothing that meets the needs otherwise.

buy a mini / desktop CNC mill.

Just IMO, 400 CAD (especially now that the USD is worth crap) isn't priced very competitively when I could just get a Gilmore Lite which I know sounds good and looks much better.

The Caliente is the twin to the K.I.C.A.S. – they are so alike, they even bear the same name. The only discernable differences between these sisters are in two areas. The Caliente bears a little flame birthmark on her nameplate and she sounds warmer than her neutral sister. The Caliente is the warmer version of the K.I.C.A.S.

Also what does this mean ??? Warm side of neutral?