Echo Indigo io / dj

hYdrociTy

I know quite a few of you guys had either at one point, and I wonder what you guys thought about it.

First of all, the difference between the two. The dj has line and variable headphone out with the volume knob. The io has line/headphone out and line in. The question is basically about the outputs. The dj headphone out seems like a dedicated headphone thing, while the io seems like it's a combined headphone/line out, BUT the advert claims both have "high quality headphone amps" built in.

So I am confused. I have a feeling the only way to settle this is to buy both, listen to them, and then take them apart. I would do all that if anyone is even interestedin something like this, since everyone has Picos. I only have two usb slots so usb dacamps are out of the question. and price range

So what an the experiences?

I know quite a few of you guys had either at one point, and I wonder what you guys thought about it.

First of all, the difference between the two. The dj has line and variable headphone out with the volume knob. The io has line/headphone out and line in. The question is basically about the outputs. The dj headphone out seems like a dedicated headphone thing, while the io seems like it's a combined headphone/line out, BUT the advert claims both have "high quality headphone amps" built in.

So I am confused. I have a feeling the only way to settle this is to buy both, listen to them, and then take them apart. I would do all that if anyone is even interestedin something like this, since everyone has Picos. I only have two usb slots so usb dacamps are out of the question. and price range

So what an the experiences?

I haven't heard both, but I'm listening to my indigo IO. I would be will to bet the DJ is just the IO with the line-in removed and two line-outs. It might have two amplifying sections though. I wouldn't think their is much difference in the design of the amplifiers if any, but the only reason is because they come from the same product line, have the exact same specs on the output and use the same driver and software controller. I would just pick deciding whether you wanted a line-in or two outputs.

High quality sounds a bit like an overstatement. Definitely more powerful then your average device amplifier and it has a fair amount of detail for the price, but I don't think it would ever compete with the PICO on detail. It has always made me think "neutral" when I listen to it. A little cold, not the strongest bass, and although it beats the crap out of most typical laptop output, its detail would only surprise those who had not heard anything mid-fi before. It seems to excel at not under or over emphasizing the music and does fairly well with Kernel Streaming and ASIO, but isn't as involving as I would really like. I really like the external volume control that lets me put the volume at line-out levels on the digital controls and use it.

I purchased one based on your reasons I think, I wanted something a little closer to integrated and had the PCMCIA slot available. There really only seems to be about three competitors for the echo, creative has its audigy 2 zs notebook which has all of its driver issues and is focused 7.1 surround sound and costs a little less and the VXpocket 440 professional which costs over 3x more and offers outputs and inputs like a portable professional studio. The Echo seemed like a logical choice considering.

Thanks for the info. I will get the io then since the input is a great alternative to recording into lappy instead of minidisc.

I mainly want this because i only have two usb slots and the cardbus is just free and itching to be filled. As small as the pico is, it is still hanging off a usb cable, and i will only use the er-4s with it so nothing epic is required. Btw just curious, how is it with the 650's?

Thanks for the info. I will get the io then since the input is a great alternative to recording into lappy instead of minidisc.

I mainly want this because i only have two usb slots and the cardbus is just free and itching to be filled. As small as the pico is, it is still hanging off a usb cable, and i will only use the er-4s with it so nothing epic is required. Btw just curious, how is it with the 650's?

Its very congested with the HD650. The detail it presents is there, but the soundstage is close to flat on the ears and not nearly the way it should be. So, not as powerful an amplifier, but for the ER4S, it should be fine and seems like your going to have a pretty clinical setup.

Its very congested with the HD650. The detail it presents is there, but the soundstage is close to flat on the ears and not nearly the way it should be. So, not as powerful an amplifier, but for the ER4S, it should be fine and seems like your going to have a pretty clinical setup.

Also, listening to the echo indigo IO amp out to the millett maxed is hell. It ruins everything. :( Don't expect to use it as a line out to another amplifier, my shuffle would work 5x better IMO.

I only have two usb slots so usb dacamps are out of the question. and price range

You could get a PCMCIA usb card and use a usb dac/amp. They have 2-4 usb slots. I have one and have my pico and mouse hooked up on it, on my laptops usb's I have my portable hard drive hooked up and it works great.

About the Echo Indigo, I had the DJ version and both the headphone and linout is hiss free. Can't talk about how it sounded because I had a tomahawk and it was over a year ago.

You could get a PCMCIA usb card and use a usb dac/amp. They have 2-4 usb slots. I have one and have my pico and mouse hooked up on it, on my laptops usb's I have my portable hard drive hooked up and it works great.

About the Echo Indigo, I had the DJ version and both the headphone and linout is hiss free. Can't talk about how it sounded because I had a tomahawk and it was over a year ago.

Actually, second on that if you can afford a decent portable USB DAC/amp like the PICO on the go and don't mind having it not quite as integrated. Echo is decent in its price range, but most still get the upgraditus. I only used it with my speakers or IEMs usually, no hiss. Its possible to get crackling when turning up the pot or a hum when you touch it if you get a bum one possibly (happened to me once), but in that case, do a trade in.