Hagerman Bugle + DL-103 Revisited

postjack

The Texas contingent would be very interested in listening to it :)

Yes please. I'd love to A/B it with my Consonance SUT.

Just tell me when you want it back and I can send it, I'm pretty sure now that I'll buy one when I get the chance.

By all means, send it on to the Lone Star state whenever you are done. I'm doing just fine with my current setup.

I ordered my Cinemag transformers yesterday, according to David at Cinemag they have a very hard time keeping the transformers in stock. So my units should be shipped next week. I guess since they are out of stock, they must be either a really good product or they are being purchased based on price alone. I'll keep you posted on the build up, in the mean time I will need to find a Denon Dl 103 to purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the Cinemags and the Zu/Denon Dl 103 up and running and I could not be more pleased. The Cinemag transformers were a breeze to set up with no hum at all, and the Zu/Denon is unbelievable. Zu was running a special on the 1% model at $299.00, which makes the duo even more impressive. With a little work and approximately $425.00 in parts I have a really wonderful MC setup. IMHO, you would have to spend a lot more to get anything better. This pair is highly recommended.

Cinemag doesn't really stock anything, from what I can tell. They build everything to order. That said, I'm a big fan of the transformers in my m3, so I'm sure they're at the very least a good value. I was looking into a dl110, but maybe I'll do 103 + SUT instead.

Well I have the Cinemags and the Zu/Denon Dl 103 up and running and I could not be more pleased. The Cinemag transformers were a breeze to set up with no hum at all, and the Zu/Denon is unbelievable. Zu was running a special on the 1% model at $299.00, which makes the duo even more impressive. With a little work and approximately $425.00 in parts I have a really wonderful MC setup. IMHO, you would have to spend a lot more to get anything better. This pair is highly recommended.

nice deal on the zu, I hope to one day try one.

That's the same cartridge and deal I got too. The Cinemags are supposed to be a wonderful match. Can I ask what tonearm you're using?

I ordered my Cinemag transformers yesterday, according to David at Cinemag they have a very hard time keeping the transformers in stock. So my units should be shipped next week. I guess since they are out of stock, they must be either a really good product or they are being purchased based on price alone. I'll keep you posted on the build up, in the mean time I will need to find a Denon Dl 103 to purchase.

What other MC carts in that price range have you heard?

Just wondering, because statements like this "IMHO, you would have to spend a lot more to get anything better. " are pretty bold.

Just wondering, because statements like this "IMHO, you would have to spend a lot more to get anything better. " are pretty bold.

I dunno, say another $300? Maybe that's a lot percentage wise... I still maintain my hubristic (dunno if that's a word, but hey..) comment that graces the title of the "ZYX" thread I started here.

Tonearm: SME 3009 Series II

I guess opinions may vary on the DL103/Cinemag combo, as they do on everything audio. But with that being said, I own several MM ranging from an ancient Stanton 681EEE/S to a Grado Reference Sonata, and this combo out performs them all. I have listened to several higher end units such as Dynavector X20, Ortofon Rondo and Shelter cartridges, and without doing an A/B comparison can't give detailed reviews, but I don't remember them offering anything that suggested any better tracking, soundstage or overall presentation than this combo. Let's not forget my statement was also made based on finding a true multi-tap SUT for $125.00, most DIY Transformers will cost at least twice that and pre-built units can cost much more. A parting thought, there may be something special about matching a 45 year old cartridge design with a 40 year old tonearm design, it's just groovy man.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any Bugle owners care to comment how many hours they get out of a pair of 9v batteries? Debating whether I want battery power or one with the PSU. The huge plus side of the battery powered unit being it would be infinitely easier to "case" up.

Any Bugle owners care to comment how many hours they get out of a pair of 9v batteries? Debating whether I want battery power or one with the PSU. The huge plus side of the battery powered unit being it would be infinitely easier to "case" up.

Deepak, the figure "20hrs" sticks in my head for some reason. Of course it'll largely be dictated on opamp choice and battery capacity. Actually I just looked and Hagerman quotes it at 16hrs.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

A total newbie here, looking to buy a phono-stage match a MC Denon DL103R. If I pickup the recommended "Bugle" (assembled) and Cinemag tranformers plus additional power supply where do I go from there?

i.e what soldering, etc if any required?

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

Gary

Hello,

A total newbie here, looking to buy a phono-stage match a MC Denon DL103R. If I pickup the recommended "Bugle" (assembled) and Cinemag tranformers plus additional power supply where do I go from there?

i.e what soldering, etc if any required?

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

Gary

Gary:

I'd try and find one of the "assembled" Cinemag setups, on Ebay/Audiogon/etc. At that point, all you need is cables.

• 2 months later...
So you mean ADDING a 100ohm resistor to the Bugle, right?

whatever resistor you need to add in to have the loading at 100ohms. there is a calculator at the Hagtech website that figures it out for you. I'm not real strong with DIY stuff so I can't tell you what it is off the top of my head.