Office Rig Expansion Project?

tyrion

I've been thinking of expanding and moving my office rig. At the moment I face the back of my office (back to windows) with my rig set up as Headroom style rig using the Headroom stands. For pretty much my entire day I fact the back corner of my office looking at the computer screen with my back to the window. As a result, I rarely use the actual desk portion of my office furniture. Here are a few pics of the layout and one with a crude drawing of what I am considering.

Current layout:

officeback.jpg

Proposed future layout:

officebackfull-1.jpg

I question whether this is overkill. I already have the speakers, I would just need stands. Either the low gain beta I have in my office now or the higher gain being built or an Arcam Solo or Solo Mini could be used to provide amplification. The only additional cost initially are the speaker stands. If I go with my computer based rig I would need a pair of long IC, either mini to rca or rca, depending on the dac used.

Does anyone have a full speaker rig in their office? If so, do you get to use it? Any thoughts are welcome.

In my little office at home, which is way smaller than yours, I have a PC based system. I formerly used a pair of Spendor SP3/5SE loudspeakers, and now I run a pair of Celestion SL600 which are bigger. I have them on Partington Dreadnought stands.

For amps in the winter I use a pair of Manley Tiny Triode tube monoblocks

TTspainsmaller.jpg

The one in that picture posted at the Manley's website is one of my own amps ;)

In the summer I switch to a YBA SS integrated for heat reasons. I'm very happy with this secondary system and it gets a lot of playtime.

My layout is quite similar to your projected one. Speakers in front of me with the amps in between them. Long mini to RCA interconnect from soundcard to the monoblocks or the integrated and that's all. Well, some speakers wire too hehehe.

If you already have all the components, do it! you won't regret.

Rgrds.

I just tried to temporarily move my monitor to my desk. That's not a problem but if I keep the same rig, I will then have multiple wires running behind the monitor and speakers that are mostly hidden when it's in the corner. The option would be my original thought or leaving it where it is. I think it's time to pay Oz a visit and borrow an Arcam Solo and speaker stands.

Lies.

For Nate's sake, I am going to hold off on the expansion. I've also considered the added expense and the added volume that I would probably need which in turn would carry outside the office.

ah, so that's what hell looks like

It might be just a bit less of a hell if I had a nice dac only Pico as part of my system.

Esthetically I think it would look much better where it is but for the sanity I think it would be nice to have a partial view of the outside world while working.

I will just have to do what I have always done, turn my head every so often and look outside.

I would turn the desk around so you face the door and have the windows behind you. Of course, this would cause glare on your monitor.

I actually considered doing that. It would be a big pain in the ass and I decided pretty quickly after starting this thread that I'm probably better off the way it is. I would also have to add an electrical and data outlets in the office. It just isn't worth it.

That is a great poster and as you can see it only blocks almost 1/6th of the view behind me and then there is also the side window.:D

officewindowfront.jpg

officewindowside.jpg

So, I don't know why you don't just move your current rig to the place in your drawing. The perspective change would do you good and you wouldn't be staring into a corner when you have that great behind you. The near-field with the HR stands will not be a big deal as that space isn't used anyway. The poster should move to the wall the the right of its current window location no matter how many total windows you have. Alternatively, put it on the wall the the right of where your rig is now.

Might as well try it in that location and see if you like it. I sit perpendicular to the windows with an amazing view of SF Bay and I have my rig on my desk with the wires hanging off, etc. Who cares, that space on the other side of my desk is unoccupied because me guest chairs are to the left of my desk facing out the window. Just my 2 cents, but buying new gear seems unnecessary you gear whore.

So, I don't know why you don't just move your current rig to the place in your drawing. The perspective change would do you good and you wouldn't be staring into a corner when you have that great behind you. The near-field with the HR stands will not be a big deal as that space isn't used anyway. The poster should move to the wall the the right of its current window location no matter how many total windows you have. Alternatively, put it on the wall the the right of where your rig is now.

Might as well try it in that location and see if you like it. I sit perpendicular to the windows with an amazing view of SF Bay and I have my rig on my desk with the wires hanging off, etc. Who cares, that space on the other side of my desk is unoccupied because me guest chairs are to the left of my desk facing out the window. Just my 2 cents, but buying new gear seems unnecessary you gear whore.

Buying new gear is always necessary.:) I have a the table and chairs to the left of my desk on the rare occasions I have someone in the office. No one ever sits on the other side of my desk. I might go in a bit early tomorrow and make the move and see how it works out.