PS-1s for sale on the 'Bay

Knuckledragger

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty, this is mildly depressing. I still haven't received word from the L3000 seller as of yet. I can't disclose any details but I'm not the person who caused the 'deal-pending' (i.e. not the first person in line :palm:, hence my reply in that IC thread)

This is the "$H!T" us newcomers have to deal with when hunting down an OOP headphone. I've spent quite a good deal of effort trying to hunt down an L3000 and I was foolish for not grabbing the pair in A'gon a couple months ago. If the string snaps early, I'll hunt down a pair of original SR-Ω or SR-007mk1 and start saving for a KGSS or a BHSE. :rolleyes:

I just wish I came into the scene a few years earlier... or at least I wished my father wasn't too much into speakers. What am I going to do with them in the apartment I live in? :S .... I mean imagine $1900 for used pair of L3000, or <$3000 for a used R10.... Okay now I am depressed.

Take into account that these are "special" Grados from John collection, not used and sold for charity (we are always more generous if there is a charity involved). I don't think this is the current market price of PS1s.

I've been talking with someone trying to sell a pair of PS-1s, just out of curiosity (as an aside to another transaction), and it certainly has influenced his asking price. The market is frankly too dumb to make the distinction.

Offer him less, if he wants to sell it to you he will. Sure, the market is impacted by high water marks, but if he can't find a buyer willing to spend that, he'll get less, or won't sell. It's just a pair of headphones. If they're worth the asking price to you, buy them, if not don't.

Offer him less, if he wants to sell it to you he will. Sure, the market is impacted by high water marks, but if he can't find a buyer willing to spend that, he'll get less, or won't sell. It's just a pair of headphones. If they're worth the asking price to you, buy them, if not don't.

Yeah, I know that, but someone out there's gonna bite and then the high water mark will become more permanent.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting how Mr. Grado has such a large personal supply that he consistently has one available to ebay but is unwilling to consider rereleasing the headphone. Perhaps he is under a contractual obligation not to... but I mean he knows first hand in the most direct way possible that there is a thriving market for the headphone that his reluctance to release a successor headphone feels almost like he is purposefully driving up the price.

More power to him but I do feel bad for the current buyers. We all know that the PS-1 and the L3000 are relatively similar in sonic performance but the L3000 is significant more comfortable and luxurious. Sadly, I have yet to see any L3000 break above 3000 USD yet while the PS-1 is now fetching 4k.

More power to him but I do feel bad for the current buyers. We all know that the PS-1 and the L3000 are relatively similar in sonic performance but the L3000 is significant more comfortable and luxurious. Sadly, I have yet to see any L3000 break above 3000 USD yet while the PS-1 is now fetching 4k.

I think this is just because they are John Grado's and are new. There was a PS-1 listed on Audiogon (by one of waadragon's many screenames) for around $2600.

edit: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1228412803&/Grado-PS1-headphone-in-pristin

I think this is just because they are John Grado's and are new. There was a PS-1 listed on Audiogon (by one of waadragon's many screenames) for around $2600.

edit: AudiogoN ForSale: Grado PS1 headphone in pristine conditio

I just read this on the seller's audiogon page.

"The phone is extremely rare. Only 250 headphones were produced and 80% of them had been exported to German."

20% left in the States means that there are 50 left, and IIRC Todd sold a few PS-1s on his website and was the only person who had access and could sell them. Does this mean that this "waadragon" guy has like 30 of these "straight from John Grado's personal collection" PS-1s lying around, waiting to be sold?