PS-1s for sale on the 'Bay

Knuckledragger

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple, because this way, he can get $4k a pop. :P

I wish I knew back then about the existence of HF and HC.

Back in 2004 I was happily enjoying my stock Creative mp3 player earbuds and my $30 panasonic earbuds... :palm:

Yep, I was one of earliest member of Headfi & Headwize...about 7 to 8 years ago. I saw Vertigo_1's R10 went for $1600 to Hirsch. Back then, folks were complaining about how expensive the W2002 was and some R10 oweners were having very difficult time selling their R10 for around $3300, b/c they cound't find the right amps to drive them properly. I still can't believe that the price of some ultra highend & rare headphones still go up and up. But I'm more surprised that some people want to spend that much for a pair of the PS-1. Maybe its the competive natures of auction compled with ultra highend headphones.

That price is just beyond insane. Honestly, I am pretty indifferent to the whole PS1 high pricing phenomenon because I've never liked the headphone. Too bass heavy for my taste and also too physically heavy on itself. After 15 min I was too aware of the weight of the headphone for comfort...

$4700 is more than the second hand value of my car.

My car is worth less than a PS1... :(

But I'm more surprised that some people want to spend that much for a pair of the PS-1.

Same here. Can you imagine if the guy does not like the PS1 sound?

Imagine what a nightmare he is gonna have to go through to sell it back at that price... :eek:

The guy is probably gonna take a significant loss if he wants to get rid of it. Unless of course the next PS1 sells for $5k... :palm:

They sell thousands of headphones each year. I'm sure he could care less about the money from a few auctions.

While that may be true, he is running business after all, and so every cent counts. If you had a very simple (& entertaining :o) way to add $4700 into your pocket, wouldn't you want to?

$4700 = 68 units of SR60

Selling one PS1 is like selling a bucket load of SR60... :o :o

I bet $4k ABSOLUTELY makes a difference in John's bottom line. The materials are all proprietary, and the assumption is that these are NOS pairs, meaning their production expense is on books that are years old.

That's almost pure profit.

I bet he makes about $20 on a pair of SR-60s, if that. That works out to, what, 200 some odd pairs of SR-60s? He's not moving enough units to write that off as a novelty -- that's rel money to anyone with a mortgage. If he's making the things out of tweaked GS-1k drivers and milling new housings, all the better. At that price I'm never buying one ever, so more power to him.

So far everyone is ignoring the obvious point - private sales through ebay are easily not reported as taxable income for either the business or individual or requiring sales tax to be paid. That makes them even more valuable.

I don't think it's an issue here since he is still well under the taxable amount. I believe the amount is $10k a month in private sales (at least in NH), but I would have to double check that.

I'm guessing he is selling one PS-1 every month or two?

I don't think it's an issue here since he is still well under the taxable amount. I believe the amount is $10k a month in private sales (at least in NH), but I would have to double check that.

I'm guessing he is selling one PS-1 every month or two?

No, what I'm saying is that he's way better off selling them as a private individual as compared to offering them through the business. That way he doesn't have to declare the sale as either income or profit for the business.

No, what I'm saying is that he's way better off selling them as a private individual as compared to offering them through the business. That way he doesn't have to declare the sale as either income or profit for the business.

I see what you're saying, I totally missed that :palm: (<-me)

There are 2 Grado PS-1 for sale in eBay as I'm typing.

Grado PS-1, Electronics, ipod items on eBay.com

One is in Germany with US$4200 b/o. :eek:

The other is for sale by aobadragon, no reserve, currently with 3 bids at US$510 and that one may go over 3 grand.

Something tells me there are people who buy these OOP production for investments --> profit and not for listening.

I bet aobadragon is the same fellow who was banned at Head-fi for using multiple nicks and used to buy cheap from members to sell for a profit. He's been trying to sell several Grados at Audiogon and other places.

I think he is here too, under one of the names now banned at the other site (waddragon or something like that).