PS-1s for sale on the 'Bay

Knuckledragger

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but this n00b is confusing PS-1s with RS-1s, which have had multiple incarnations over the years. The PS-1 had only one run of 250 cans (+/- the ones from the JAG Bag). No changes over time, no different models in terms of sonics or different "versions," just PS-1. Of course, you have the different wording (Freestyle) and finish on the aluminum, but I agree with Nate that the chromed monstrosity does not set itself apart in a good way.

Hmm...

/OT on

I had three 'few-minutes' audition with the PS-1 in Skokie. For the first couple of times I auditioned it, I thought I had gone deaf. I went upstairs and whipped this thing to Todd's 307a amplifier, it's still the bassiest thing I've heard in recent memory and I couldn't hear jack #$%^ in the treble region. Although... I LOVE the sound of HP1000 (first Grado I actually enjoyed listening to).

With that said I didn't know I was auditioning a PS-1 until someone told me, "Yes. This IS the PS-1". Soooooo I want to hear thing in a brighter setup.

/OT off

Hmm...

No, polished aluminum isn't chrome, and I don't think anyone would confuse the two. There were definitely a few variations in the finish of the PS1s.

These chromed ones are I'm sure just something John did when trying to figure out what he was going to do with his finished product early on.

I'd trust John Grado to know if the ones he's selling on ebay are 1 of a kind or not. And I can't imagine two of those godawful abberations would have been made.

Yeah I don't think its the end all be all myself, even though I had an amp tuned for it. I mean I do like it, but there's no way I would pay the going rate for it though I appreciate that there are people who will. It's just another sound to me in a world of many sounds from many different headphones.

Moreover again my main reason for selling was because I couldn't hang with having 5-6k on my headphone where if I drop them they could become 0 dollars. That's just freaky. Same thing with the HE90s.. K1000s and Qualias and AD2000s any day of the week :)

I don't find the R10 to be the be-all, end-all that many do. I like it and I have wanted to borrow a balanced pair for the sake of really seeing if it rules on my SDS-XLR, but I am not planning on buying them anytime soon.

Yeah at the current price they are very expensive. But after hearing what they can do one of the SDS-XLR, it is my favorite headphones. Even with single-end SDS, I found them incredible. Whatever floats your boat Al.

Yeah I don't think its the end all be all myself, even though I had an amp tuned for it. I mean I do like it, but there's no way I would pay the going rate for it though I appreciate that there are people who will. It's just another sound to me in a world of many sounds from many different headphones.

Moreover again my main reason for selling was because I couldn't hang with having 5-6k on my headphone where if I drop them they could become 0 dollars. That's just freaky. Same thing with the HE90s.. K1000s and Qualias and AD2000s any day of the week.

So you decide that you could hang with 4.5k x 4 on your head right? You and your 4 Qualias!!! No one is as Lucky as you Dan to have a perfect fit for those Qualias. When I borrowed Muveling's Qualia awhile back, it took me about 30 mins to find the right position. I had to hold them in place just to listen to them. They were pretty amazing with SACDs.

Speaking of "nicking" if a PS1 ever gets a ding in it Grado will not replace it with a newer one as they are all out of those parts.Don't ask me how i know.

Good news is that the chrome pair for sale is already scratched from storage. That makes them even more unique, you can't duplicate original JG scratches!