New HeadAmp Modules (for GS-1 and GS-X) Beta Test Program Announcement

justin

New amplification modules from HeadAmp are coming soon. What I expect will be the final prototypes should be ready in a few weeks. At that time, I'd like to have a limited beta program to allow current GS-1 owners to try the new modules in their own system.

If you own a GS-1 and are interested, post here or email me at [email protected].

I will update this post later with a detailed FAQ about the modules.

Thanks,

Justin

To answer Akwok's questions...

What's in these modules? Any specifics?

This is an all-new module designed in-house. It will be the first non-Gilmore amplification circuitry I have offered in a home amp. It is a 100% discrete design, real Class A circuit. The output consists of a pair of Hitachi MOSFETs designed for audio -- good for a substantial couple of watts in this circuit.

How will it sound compared to the current Gilmore modules in the GS-1?

If I had a marketing guy, he'd probably be telling me to say that there is "no comparison" between my new modules and the Gilmore circuit or to throw out some juicy words that audiophiles will eat up. I'm not going to do that. I've done plenty of comparisons between my module design and other designs to know that I have created a very solid product. Out of respect for Kevin's work, that's about as far as I will go here.

The reality is, if you've ever tried an A/B switch test between two amplifiers and you couldn't tell the difference, the same will probably hold true with my new design. An exception is with the AKG K1000, where there is a very noticeable difference in the A/B test especially in bass response - the power output of the new module is definitely needed here. I am far from owning every headphone in the world, so there are likely other similar differences waiting to be heard.

It's important to me to continue offering discrete designs, which I feel separate my products from most of the others on the market. It also gives me the peace of mind to know I've done all I can to create the best sounding amp within my abilities.

Are you planning to take this design into your Gilmore Lite (which I assume would no longer be a 'Gilmore' anything)?

What do you plan to charge for these new modules, and are they user changeable?

Are they your personal design, or do you have a design team, or are they based on previous designs, such as your Gilmore Dynamic implimentation?

Always been curious about your amps.

Sloth,

Are you planning to take this design into your Gilmore Lite (which I assume would no longer be a 'Gilmore' anything)?

The Gilmore Lite will still be for sale, as is. However, when the time comes, I will design a new home amp at that price point to replace the Gilmore Lite. I don't know at this time whether that amp would be based on the new module design, or another new circuit. But it would absolutely be based on one of my own designs.

What do you plan to charge for these new modules, and are they user changeable?

I will likely charge something like $199 for the GS-1 and $299 for the GS-X (which requires twice as many modules), but this is not definite. They will become standard on the new amps. They can be changed easily. The module boards are socketed and also secured by 2 small phillips-head screws.

Are they your personal design, or do you have a design team, or are they based on previous designs, such as your Gilmore Dynamic implimentation?

This is my personal design and HeadAmp is a one-man shop. The design is based on previous experiences and knowledge, other designs through research, and what I have learned during the design process. Work on the new module design began last November.

Nice to see you in a post, Justin. Congets on the new amp design, I look forward to hearing it at a meet somewhere along the line. If you don't mind me asking a question: What are the power supply rail voltages you are running?

The amplifiers have already been built for +/- 16.4V, so the modules are designed around these voltages.

Would it be possible to order the GS-X with the Gilmore and the new modules?

Ben,

It would depend on whether or not I still have Gilmore module boards left when the new modules are ready. I don't intend to offer both...so..."while supplies last"

justin

is the new modules' Gs-x ( balanced ) going to cost same as the Gs-x that's on sale now

boodi,

I will not be increasing the price of the GS-1 or GS-X, or any amp that uses the modules. I will say though that each of these modules costs at least 3x as much to build, not including any of the R&D costs which have included 4 prototype runs and a lot of work.

Justin put me down for some of the gilmore Modules before you run dry..I will pay the cost also.

can you compare (with respect to both of course..) the highs or the overall sound between the two? what were you aiming for as far as sonics off headamp's modules that would differ from the gilmore sound?

mosfets? are those the thingys used in the m3 design?...dumb question I know but I firgure I ask..to lazy to look it up..lol

have you done any pre amp listening with the new modules or just all headphone use when designing them?

thanx...

Justin put me down for some of the gilmore Modules before you run dry..I will pay the cost also.

can you compare (with respect to both of course..) the highs or the overall sound between the two? what were you aiming for as far as sonics off headamp's modules that would differ from the gilmore sound?

I'm very interested too on your own opinion ( differences between the two ) Justin .

Thanks .

• 1 month later...
Guest sacd lover

Did anyone receive any modules yet? When are they supposed to be shipping?

I talked to Justin yesterday and the modules are still weeks away from completion.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some early RMAA test results from the current round of prototype modules.

The results so far are excellent -- only 0.0014% THD with a tough 10 ohm load, the baseline for the soundcard is 0.0007% THD. This test is done in HIGH GAIN (8.5x or 18.5dB)

A couple things about these results: you will see the volume level is about 0.2dB higher in one channel, that is due to normal (actually better than average) volume control mismatch. Had I done this test with a stepped attenuator it would be exactly even. The stereo crosstalk rises at high frequency, however still inaudible, this is also due to the volume control. The high frequency roll off in the graph also only exists in the test setup, it is flat to about 500KHz unless I decide to bring it down some.

The noise level graph is also not very meaningful as it is limited by the sound card, and it shows only 3dB of noise is introduced over the source signal at high gain of 18.5dB. This amp passes my test of using an ultra-sensitive IEM (Shure E3) and listening for any hiss at the high gain setting. You can tell there is a difference flipping the power switch on and off but if I didn't tell you the amp was on you would say there is no noise coming through the IEMs. My goal was to have a noise floor as quiet as the Gilmore design, and that is the case. I would be very surprised if a quieter amp exists.

With a AKG K701 load, much easier than a 10 ohm load, the distortion is not measurable with my test setup. There is no difference in the results between no load and an AKG K701 load.

The module has also been designed to be unity gain stable.

http://www.headamp.com/10_ohm_high_gain.htm

10 ohm load, high gain

http://www.headamp.com/no_load_high_gain.htm

no load, high gain