Do headphones exacerbate surface noises from vinyl?

humanflyz

I am constantly thinking about getting a turntable (not like a high-end one, just something basic that can do the job), but one thing that is holding me back is my worry that headphones, due to their close placement to the ears, might exacerbate vinyl surface noises to the point of distraction.

Is this worry warranted? I will probably get a basic vacuum cleaning machine if I do end up with a table. And of course a lot depends on the table itself, cartridge, phono stage, and set-up, but in general, has anyone found that using headphones to listen to vinyl has picked up surface noises to the point of distraction? And if so, how have you dealt with it?

Having had a vinyl rig growing up, some clicks were always part of the "normal" experience...

So getting back into it now, it has been less distracting then I thought it would be, but I could see how a CD baby might have a harder time adjusting.

All that said, a good stylus (micro-line or micro-ridge or the like) gives you a quieter ride, and the cleaning machine helps tremendously.

I am constantly thinking about getting a turntable (not like a high-end one, just something basic that can do the job), but one thing that is holding me back is my worry that headphones, due to their close placement to the ears, might exacerbate vinyl surface noises to the point of distraction.

Is this worry warranted? I will probably get a basic vacuum cleaning machine if I do end up with a table. And of course a lot depends on the table itself, cartridge, phono stage, and set-up, but in general, has anyone found that using headphones to listen to vinyl has picked up surface noises to the point of distraction? And if so, how have you dealt with it?

yes, I would agree with your concerns. One benefit is that you can really dial in a vinyl rig much more with a headphone rig that a speaker rig. In order to "cope", I tend to listen to "audiophile" recordings more with a headphone rig and the no-so-great recordings, but awesome performances with my speaker rig.

as headphones bring out more detail (in general) yes you will hear more of the LPs imperfections. You can greatly reduce this with a decent lp cleaner, I really like the VPI 16.5 over the nitty gritty designs. Also check out the steam cleaning thread on audiogon I have found that a good steam cleaning removed the last bit of crud in the grooves. Please read the thread prior to attempting steam cleaning though.

Used records often have groove distortion from shitty needles, broken needles, quarters taped to the top of a cart.... you can not overcome this and I just toss these. I went through 4 copies of Marvin Gayes What's Going On to get a good copy. Most jazz lps thankfully seem to have been played on better setups. Rock and R&B can be a gamble.

@JP:

I think what you said is probably the biggest obstacle preventing me right now. Part of the appeal of vinyl for me is just the experience of going to used record stores and looking through the racks to find good stuff. But if everything is too much of a gamble, I don't know if I could deal with the frustration.

My experience is that most of the LPs I get from the used record store,

(and I look to make sure they are in good shape to begin with, outwardly)

clean up very well, to the point were I don't mind playing them.

There will still be minor clicks (can never get rid of those) but usually no loud pops after I'm done cleaning with the VPI 16.5

My experience is that most of the LPs I get from the used record store,

(and I look to make sure they are in good shape to begin with, outwardly)

clean up very well, to the point were I don't mind playing them.

There will still be minor clicks (can never get rid of those) but usually no loud pops after I'm done cleaning with the VPI 16.5

Same here. Also, I can manually remove loud clicks (in my case, using Audacity). I've learned to listen-through the surface noise, if any. A good, well-setup rig can help in that regard.

I'm amazed at how good it all sounds.

I've seen the light...

So today I went to Red Onion Records & Books in Dupont Circle to check out their used CD selection. But I saw that they had a vinyl listening station set up for people who want to listen to records before buying them. So I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

The store set up is pretty lo-fi as far as audiophile things go: a Technics SL-D3 DD table, a Pioneer receiver from the 80s from the looks, all hooked up to a generic pair of Koss phones. I don't know what the cart on the table is, and I doubt that the owner painstakingly made sure that it was set up correctly.

So I flip through the bins, find a copy of Coltrane and Duke Ellington in average condition. The inner sleeve is a little bit yellowed from the age, but the record itself is not warped, and I couldn't see any obvious signs of damage.

Anyways, I put the record on, press the "start" button, and the arm lowers itself.

What happened next I can only describe as a state of trance: when Duke starts to play those first chords on "In a Sentimental Mood," I knew that I HAD to get a turntable. Even in this very lo-fi setup, the music just sounded RIGHT. I really cannnot adequately describe the euphoric feeling I got from listening to this cheap setup. The next thing I knew, I finished the whole of side one, and someone tapped me on the shoulder because I was hogging up the listening station.

So I guess that answers my original question: no, the surface noise did not bother me at all. Sure, I could hear some hiss in between cuts, and there was the occasional pop, but nothing deal-breaking.

Well, I guess I know where my next paycheck is going...

I absolutely agree with the necessity of a record cleaning machine. Most of the time, the used American pressings are pretty acceptable, especially if I get an original American pressing. And even the Warners/Reprise reissues are good. And occassionally you get something that has got too much surface noise, and there is nothing to do but dump those if you've really cleaned them well.

Modern audiophile vinyl, while expensive, is generally very quiet and should be no problem.

Experimenting with interconnects from your phono pre to amp can make a big difference and be one way to dial down the impact of surface noise.

Lastly, I sometimes play a little mind game with myself. I imagine that the surface noise is the sound of the fireplace I am sitting by in my imagination. This helps me to not be so resistant to the noise.

If you focus on and obsess about the noise it will drive you crazy. But if you relax, let the surface noise intrude when it does and yet keep focusing on the wonderful natural, warm rightness of the vinyl sound then you'll be OK. Its working for lots of people and I'm sure most of us would prefer a dead silent background.