McIntosh flagship SACD/CD/Headphone amp player

Eric5676

Bitstream: CEDIA: McIntosh's SACD/CD Player

imgp2803.jpg

What? You thought SACD was dead? How wrong you would be. At least at the CEDIA Expo, SACD was making a strong comeback showing. Maybe higher-end installer types are presenting more demand than lowly big-box store customers. In any case, the high-end audio format is certainly alive and well on the Expo floor in Denver.

Case in point, the McIntosh MCD500 SACD/CD player is their flagship model, joining the MCD201 and MCD301 players.

It features two selectable digital inputs, coaxial and optical digital inputs, fixed and variable balanced outputs (up to 6 volts), dedicated headphone amplifier with level control, and die-cast disc tray.

Also inside, you'll find four 24-bit/192-kHz D/A converters per channel arranged in a differential balanced configuration. Of course, all clocks are phase-locked looped. Data is read from the disc at twice the normal rate. The glass front panel is illuminated by a combination of custom-designed fiber optic light diffusors and LEDs. An illuminated remote control is included

The MCD500 will retail for a mere $6,500.

Not cheap, obviously, but considering all that it does and such, this might fill a void for some folks around here, especially if you kill a bunch of birds with one stone like what this thing does.

You could kill a shitload of birds throwing that thing at them.

How many vertebrae in my lower back would I kill as well? ;)

I've seen sentiments like what I'm seeing in this thread for a while. McIntosh isn't quite what it used to be?

I remember way back in the 70's and early 80's my father had owned some McIntosh gear and it was truly something else.

the Mac amps are very good (if also very overpriced), but none of their digital sources have impressed me. don't get me wrong, the sources haven't been bad, they have simply been super overpriced.

Super overpriced definitely seems to be the common theme.

Back in the day, my dad owned one of their amp/receivers...I couldn't tell you what it was since I was a young kid, but I still think about that piece of gear to this day. It was something.

I find it interesting that there are two sets of outputs, one that's fixed and one that can be volume controlled.

Why? This is not a new idea. The fixed set is for use with a preamp or integrated amp. The variable output allows the CD player to be plugged directly into an amp. In that case, it acts as its own preamp.

I've had a chance to compare the new 500 with both the 201 and 301 for a couple hours at my local dealer, and its a different player (sound) altogether. Much more detailed, alot more air, and not the normal slightly soft Mac CD players of the past. Thought it was nice and also preferrd it to the Ayre universal player (C-5XE), which really suprised me. Just as resolving with more weight and texure to the music.