DAC to enjoy Stax Omega II

Tony

I have been sucked in the spiral of Stax and I feel I might end with an Omega II+SRM-717 before or later. I'm wondering what DAC would be up to the job. I am considering the OMZ 4.1 since it seems to have a soft tonality that I might like, and I am waiting with interest for the AMB Gamma 1, which still is "just" a small DAC (probably Pico competitor).

Would these make justice to the Omega's, or should I go up to a Cambridge 840c and such?

Thanks for any hints you can throw.

LOL, you'd need to read some Catscratch's post elsewhere recognizing how much of the source's character the O2 reveal. I knew you'd get to that point hehehe.

I really can't advice you a good DAC, at least one that I truly like, which I'd be happy listening to through very revealing phones and amps, and has a sensible price.

Yup, I would consider only used DAC's, since the only one I could afford new in my price range would be the Zhaolu, and even if it supposedly sounds wonderful with the HD600 and MS2i (per sacdlover's statement), it might not be enough for the Omega II.

I drive my Omega II with what could be considered a "poor man's source" and it sounds pretty awesome to my ears. I haven't had the chance to compare to many high-end sources, only the Audio Research CD3 MK2, which was a very noticeable improvement, but using a mid-fi source shouldn't stop you from buying the Stax. Once you will decide to improve your source, you'll appreciate the upgrade even more than if you had jumped straight away to a top source.

The 840c is only a placeholder until I can get something better. I just wanted the Rega out of the system, and I didn't want to use it as a transport. The Rega was a good source for things that aren't brutally revealing, but when it comes to brutally revealing, at the altar of all things brutally revealing where esoteric electrostats revel in revealingness and brutality, they worship the Omega 2. It's seriously in a different league.

The O2 needs a reference-level source. Needs. Period.

That doesn't mean, however, that you won't enjoy it with a mediocre source. It was still enjoyable with the Rega, even if you could hear all of its problems. It's more enjoyable with the 840c, and sounds very good. But, you can still hear all of its problems. Not having a reference-level source shouldn't stop you from getting the O2, but you should be advised that if you're driven by perfectionism like a certain stupid catscratch (don't want to drop names here) you will not want to stop until you're driving the O2 right, and that means $ (or patience + luck with hunting down quality vintage gear).

Try talking to the seller of this item:

AUDIOSYNTHESIS Da-X CD Digital to Analogue Converter on eBay, also, CD Players, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 13-Sep-08 19:13:31 BST)

I think its still quite well-regarded even to this day, and it uses the ultraanalog DAC and receiver.

Yup, I would consider only used DAC's, since the only one I could afford new in my price range would be the Zhaolu, and even if it supposedly sounds wonderful with the HD600 and MS2i (per sacdlover's statement), it might not be enough for the Omega II.
Don't. They don't even compare with my $120 M-audio SuperDAC. (the 2.5 at least)

buy a used Meitner/Museatex DAC any one Bidat, Melior Bitstream convertor, Idat-44 or Idat-M. Send it to John Wright and have him totally upgrade it for you and you are done like dinner. The three small ones can sometimes be found for under $400.00 in the used market but the Bidat will break your budget unless you luck out and steal one. Used a Bidat normally goes for around a minimum of $1500.00 these days so look to one of the other three. Of the three small ones the bit box is the most analog sounding with the Idats sounding a little more digital but still less so than a Bidat. Mods on the small ones will run around $700.00 and a Bidat mods for about $1000.00. Since the Idat-M is an auto convertor it will run right off a battery which sounds fantastic and is a major bonus to consider. So what will it compare to you ask? Allowing for personal preference anything you like at any price. Strong claim yes. You asked for somethng to run with your O2's so here you go.

Wonderful, thanks for the informative post. Is the more expensive Bidat any superior to the other three, sound quality wise? Which are you referring to when saying "the three small ones?". By your description I am very tempted by the Bitstream (=bit box?), which you defined the most analogue sounding, and the Idat-M for convenience.

Guest sacd lover

Quote:

Don't. They don't even compare with my $120 M-audio SuperDAC. (the 2.5 at least)

We are talking modded Zhalous here. The modded Zhalous featuring a zap filter output stage are excellent. In fact, any of the one box players featuring a zap filter and a clock upgrade will go toe to toe with sources many times their cost.

The specific Zhalou Tony is referring to is the Oritek v4.1. The Oritek sound, to my ears, is noticeably different and not to the overall level of my zap filter Zhalous .... but very still good .... and much better than the stock Zhalou 2.5C. The OMZ v4.1 was a price point recommendation for a new dac with a completely different setup that Tony was considering. I would not build a high end electrostatic setup around the OMZ v4.1 dac as this dac imposes to much character on the sound. However, I would build a high end system around something like the Opus/ zap filter dac.

As a side note, I recently bought morphsci's modded Eastsound E5 (zap filter + LX03 clock) and I dont know why he sold the Eastsound and kept the 840C. The 840C is to analytical and dry for my tastes. The modded E5 is fast, clean and airy .... yet still has a powerful, dynamic character. The E5/ zap paired with the Mini-Tube or tkams old high voltage PPX3 SLAM has been a revelation with my Alessandro woodies.

IMG_0216.jpg

If I were you Tony, I would find a good used dac; especially one of the modded units. There are lots of them out there and the value is much better. I picked up swt61's custom wood faceplate, zap filtered Zhalou D2.0C and then some months later his zap filtered Opus .... and these units both absolutely rock.

zhaolooser101002712x536po6.jpg

systemfaceplates001600xeb1.jpg

I could not resisit so I am now waiting on Fierce Freaks Buffalo dac to arrive .... and this dac may be the best yet according to Jim/ FF .... who built the Opus /zap filter dac for swt61. I only paid a little over $500 shipped for the Buffalo dac .... less than the parts cost.

buffalo1.JPG

buffalo2.JPG

Tony all the small ones are well small. They are all half size chassis. The bit box = the Bitstream Convertor and the Idat-44 and Idat-M. The Idat-M is really wonderful as it is totally off of the mains running on a battery. My first Bidat was worked on till I had to sell it as It would not take anymore iron heat. My second Bidat sounded far better when I sold it. I have settled on the bit box but I really do love the way an Idat-M sounds. Take the time and get one of each and then decide for yourself. Remember also that John is always comming up with something extra just when you think things just could not get any better. So there is a lot of milage to be had from one of these boxes.

Now we're talkin'! ;D

Funnily enough a modded Bidat may outperform the Lavry Gold (I have an acquaintance who owns several Bidats, the Lavry Gold, some Pacific Microsonics.. I think Moray knows this guy too) in some features. Of course YMMV and it's all about preferences, priorities and evaluation methods. The good part of the Lavry is that it's not discontinued and can be found more easily than any of the Museatex old DACs.

If I hadn't already a Museatex I'd be looking at Lavry's gear. I guess that even the modest DA10, which I still have to try, has probably some of the interesting goods of the higher end products.

Funnily enough a modded Bidat may outperform the Lavry Gold (I have an acquaintance who owns several Bidats, the Lavry Gold, some Pacific Microsonics.. I think Moray knows this guy too) in some features. Of course YMMV and it's all about preferences, priorities and evaluation methods. The good part of the Lavry is that it's not discontinued and can be found more easily than any of the Museatex old DACs.

The guy also known as Romy the Cat from the GoodSoundClub website? :o

The guy also known as Romy the Cat from the GoodSoundClub website? :o

Yep, I know him since his Audio Asylum days when he managed to get banned for his incisive comments :rolleyes: Very opinionated, but he undoubtedly has the kind of approach to audio that I find interesting. Very insightful.

I remember Romy from AA too. He's pretty much a whacko. But he's always right and if you don't agree with him, you are wrong. :palm:

Tony all the small ones are well small. They are all half size chassis. The bit box = the Bitstream Convertor and the Idat-44 and Idat-M. The Idat-M is really wonderful as it is totally off of the mains running on a battery. My first Bidat was worked on till I had to sell it as It would not take anymore iron heat. My second Bidat sounded far better when I sold it. I have settled on the bit box but I really do love the way an Idat-M sounds. Take the time and get one of each and then decide for yourself. Remember also that John is always comming up with something extra just when you think things just could not get any better. So there is a lot of milage to be had from one of these boxes.

Hey James, I have checked John Wright's website and, while he offers upgrades for the Bidat, Idat-44 and Bitbox, I can't find the Idat-M upgrades offered. Should I email him to see if he discontinued its mods?