Recommend cordless drill

guzziguy

I have an older B&D 14.4V Fire Storm cordless drill. This drill has 2 speed ranges and a wide range of torque settings. i really like it except for one minor problem. after many years of light use, i tried to use it only to find that both batteries are toast and that the charger puts out nothing. A quick search of the web shows that this is not an uncommon problem with these batteries and charger.

I searched the web again and it looks like 2 replacement batteries and a charger would be at least $80. It occurs to me that I might be able to get an entire drill kit for not much more than that. So can anybody recommend a drill kit with similar features in the $80 to $140 range? I'm a fairly light user so not need a heavy duty monster. I would like something that is more reliable than the B&D has been.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

First off I would make sure what ever you get has either Ni-Mh or LiPo batteries.

I have a couple Hitachi cordless drills that I really like. One was not cheap but the other came in a kit with a cordless screwdriver and flashlight and was in your price range.

DeWalts (Black&Decker) are also pretty popular.

Go to your local HD/Lowes and get a feel for what they have. If you go with a name brand that has the feel/features/look/cost you want you should be happy for a long time. Or at least until the batteries become useless.

First off I would make sure what ever you get has either Ni-Mh or LiPo batteries.

I have a couple Hitachi cordless drills that I really like. One was not cheap but the other came in a kit with a cordless screwdriver and flashlight and was in your price range.

DeWalts (Black&Decker) are also pretty popular.

Go to your local HD/Lowes and get a feel for what they have. If you go with a name brand that has the feel/features/look/cost you want you should be happy for a long time. Or at least until the batteries become useless.

I just found this Hitachi. It has all the features I like on my Firestorm plus it has lithium ion batteries, and is the same price as 2 batteries and a charger would be. Any reason I shouldn't just pull the trigger on this?

Edit: Shipping would be $14.59, so unless a red flag appears soon, I'm going for it.

I've been beating the bag out of my Makita for the last 5 years and it still works great. Personally, anything bigger than 12 or 14.4V is absurd unless you're a contractor.

Unless you're building a deck, or a shed, or fixing your fence, or ....

Oh and I have several cordless drills but the one I like best is a relatively new model by Ridgid that uses Li-Poly batteries. I really like the Ridgid cordless drills as they have a lifetime warranty on their batteries.

Unless you're building a deck, or a shed, or fixing your fence, or ....

Oh and I have several cordless drills but the one I like best is a relatively new model by Ridgid that uses Li-Poly batteries. I really like the Ridgid cordless drills as they have a lifetime warranty on their batteries.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked out Ridgid but the cost for Li-Poly battery versions is significantly higher than the Hitachi I'm looking at. As I said, I'm a fairly light user of cordless drills and think the Hitachi will do what I need. If I find I need a heavier duty drill, I'll take another look at the 18V Ridgid.

I just ordered the Hitachi. Would anybody like a 14.4V B&D Fire Storm drill? I'll be happy to pass it on for the cost of shipping. Of course, you pretty much need to have working batteries for this deal to make any sense. ;)

14.4V has been fine for me for both projects not to mention numerous others.

Well that is good for you. Unfortunately my experience does not coincide with yours. The 14.4 V drills I have used in the past (mainly a B & D and a Porter cable) have not had the battery life nor more importantly the torque to take the drudgery out of the bigger long-term projects. So although not a contracter, I consider a good 18V+ cordless drill an extremely important tool for my own personal sanity and not even remotely absurd.

BTW, nice deck :dan:

Well that is good for you. Unfortunately my experience does not coincide with yours. The 14.4 V drills I have used in the past (mainly a B & D and a Porter cable) have not had the battery life nor more importantly the torque to take the drudgery out of the bigger long-term projects.

Well, there's your problem right there...

Well, there's your problem right there...

Maybe the B & D (but I have been relatively satisfied with most of the B & D tools I have used over the years) but not the Porter Cable. I have a B & D 18 V that I am very satisfied with, it generally does as good a job as the Ridgid. The Ridgid is lighter and may have better torque but the ergonomics of the B & D are better.

if you bought a hole hawg you could do all kinds of neat stuff. for instance, you can spin around in circles if the bit gets stuck and you don't let go.

I can't do that with my magnum, it just rips itself out of my hands or simply stops in the rare event that the bit snags on something. :(

• 1 year later...

I just bought a new Porter Cable 18v Li-Ion set w/impact gun. The impact gun is really sweet for driving 3" or longer screws, but eats up battery life a lot quicker than the drill. Most of the new 18v Li-Ion drills are as lightweight now as the old 14.4v used to be. I too like the LED light for working in dark spaces.

I just bought a new Porter Cable 18v Li-Ion set w/impact gun. The impact gun is really sweet for driving 3" or longer screws, but eats up battery life a lot quicker than the drill. Most of the new 18v Li-Ion drills are as lightweight now as the old 14.4v used to be. I too like the LED light for working in dark spaces.

You need the Light of E

Steve,

I was looking at a setup like the one you bought recently since my cordless is down to own good battery. It's hard to fault it, having lasted 6 years or so and through countless projects. Still it's always frustrating to look and find that buying an entire new drill with two batteries costs slightly more than buying one replacement battery.

Still it's always frustrating to look and find that buying an entire new drill with two batteries costs slightly more than buying one replacement battery.

This. Which is why I'm interested in the Rockwell drills for their lifetime battery replacement program, but the one drill I found was ~$280 and that's more than I want to spend right now.