RIP: Meridian G08 (9/19/08 never forget)

bhd812

My babies transport has died today, was working earlier but now she just makes a clicking noise..

She has had her use over the years sometimes playing 10 hour days sometimes even 24 strait for burn in...

i called Meridian and they are sending me an email on what to do next, expected turn around is about three weeks from start to finish. no clue on repair cost as the machine is way out of warranty.

been offered $5000 on a used 808 yesterday also, but i don't have the time nor use for such a player now. i just hope the repair cost don't hurt me...

please pour a bit of coffee out today for my fallen homie!

Make sure you post on both sites how quickly they service the 808 and what they end up charging you, it would be valuable information for all those current and potential Meridian customers to know. I have had reasonably good luck with service regarding their dsp 5500 speakers but I am not done yet.

Good luck Billy I hope it all works out.

I need to send a Meridian M60 Mk2 speaker to Meridian but since I don't have the original packaging, they offered to send me a Meridian box for...$250 (for one) plus shipping. Kind of pricey for a cardboard box...

q

Make sure you post on both sites how quickly they service the 808 and what they end up charging you, it would be valuable information for all those current and potential Meridian customers to know. I have had reasonably good luck with service regarding their dsp 5500 speakers but I am not done yet.

Good luck Billy I hope it all works out.

how are the Meridian DSPs?

When they are both up and running I will let you know. Right now they sound about the same as one of your granite slabs...................... (nothing). To be fair, I have been a little preocupied with work for the last two months so I have not spent the time to fully troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks for the love people, my ears need it. the G08 served me well over the years and she is well worth the fixing cost.

I paid around 20$ for replacement drives and if you can swap a drive in a computer you can do it in a G08. You might need to flash the firmware though (new drives as the old ones are discontinued) but it's easy as pie with a null-modem cable.

Can you explain this more in depth? I can easily replace a rom in a computer (done it more then a few times..)

Can you explain this more in depth? I can easily replace a rom in a computer (done it more then a few times..)

Sure thing. I couldn't find my internal pics of the G08 but the transport is just a standard DVD-Rom drive with a removable cover over it. Remove the cover and then remove the drive and put in a new one. All the mounting hardware is identical to a PC drive and so are the power and data cables. The only adjustments you have to do is with regards to the door on the front panel so that it works as it should. Just move the drive back and forth before tightening the screws to find the right placement.

You may also need to upgrade the firmware which is easy to do with any PC with a serial port. All you need is a null-modem cable and the Meridian software and the new firmware was included with the drive on a CD-rom.

I've never owned a piece of Meridian gear myself, but a friend has the 588.24 at home. It developed some problem and he contacted the spanish distributor. They looked at it, said they had fixed it, but when the CDP got to his place, the problem was still there.

My friend contacted Meridian UK directly and explained the whole thing. They were responsive, asked him to send the player to UK, and they fixed it perfectly and quite quickly.

I've read at other sites that Meridian distributors are in the moronic and expensive side of things. I'd try to contact Meridian headquarters directly to have the G08 repaired.

• 1 year later...

WEll almost two years and an a minor little update...

so after the flood i was cleaning out my closet and found the Broken GO8 in the closet (put it there to make room for the move long ago and forgot about it). after looking to fix it myself for a few weeks i decided to pop it open and see whats up in there. turns out the cd was just wobbling around so i opened the drive up and next you know....

THE GO8 WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its like an old love coming back in my life! i been listening to my speakers with her for the last 3 hours strait! i have not listened to my gear like this in years..i weep the times from ago but its back..my baby is back! she works and sounds a bit cold..i bit of break in is needed since the player has not been used in two years. the sound is so Meridian, the Meridian i missed! hell i have been listening to mp3's for the last two years with the dac1 so its so nice to have the player back. the drive inside it is a dsl-720a with IDE connection, just incase someone needs to know one day.

maybe the flood was not such a bad thing, i really been enjoying the speakers and now my baby..then again maybe i should of grown a pair years back and just open the prick up back in 08, but theres nothing i can do about it now besides....listen to her musical heart beat and never take her for granted again..sonicly speaking