So what is a sport?

hungrych

I'd say has to require you are physically fit and there should be an obvious winner

curling, sport

nascar sport

cheerleading, not sport

chess, not sport

ice dancing not sport

snowboard cross sport

snowboard half pipe, not sport

So (competitive) cheerleading doesn't take a ton of fitness? What the guy brought up was that he didn't think an actual sport could have judges determine points, like gymnastics etc.

"an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition" according to Google. But does that make Spelling Bee Championship and Poker non-sports, but why are they televised on ESPN?! I'd say bring back Fencing with the real swords.

Overlunge

Because sponsors pay for it because it gets ratings...

Because sponsors pay for it because it gets ratings...

I find two people duke it out with swords far more audience attracting then two people wearing funny shades getting anxious over an 'all-in' or a 12 y.o. battling to spell out some sadisitcly long greek-latin-then-thousand-years-ago-used-to-be English word.

:D

Overlunge

I'd say has to require you are physically fit and there should be an obvious winner

curling, sport

nascar sport

cheerleading, not sport

chess, not sport

ice dancing not sport

snowboard cross sport

snowboard half pipe, not sport

I think this is a good definition. In my mind if a judge is required to determine the winner it is a competition and not a sport.

Aren't hunters and fishermen called sportsmen? I guess you could say there's a clear winner if you catch something, but its not really competition like you're speaking of. Certainly minimal fitness requirements.

btw, why do they call them "sports coats" for a dress jacket? Could there be a less appropriately named item of clothing? Maybe that's what they used to go hunting in the old days?