Demagetizing Vinyl

ldj325

But wait, it's only better if you've dropped about 5 grand on a table, arm, cart, stylus, phono-stage, cleaning supplies, f'ing demagnatizer, record brush, global azimuth arm positioning system, etc., etc, ad nauseam. And that's not to mention that it's a complete crapshoot if you can actually find what you want to listen to on vinyl. :P

Vinyl budget:

Free table (basically)

Upper mid-fi cartridge barely used, $100

Cheap but effective phono stage ($300ish, can't remember exactly)

Record brush & cleaning supplies, yeah I've spent a bit but the stuff lasts forever. I doubt I'll use the whole bottle of full strength Vinyl Zyme I've got in my lifetime. Especially considering that I buy mostly new records, and keep them in good sleeves.

Other tweaks. Not much, a record clamp, tracking force guage. Alignment tool is a carefully printed one mounted on a John Denver record (definitely didn't pay for that).

The sound. Much better than my cd player that cost me a grand. Vinyl cures my ADD when listening to CD's, I listen to whole albums and the flipping and changing out is only a minor concern.

Oh yeah and the selection is great. Very few albums that I've called favorites in the last few years couldn't be obtained on vinyl. Only huge disappointment was the horrible release of Radiohead's Kid A. They destroyed the mix and mastering on that one. That and Neko Case are the only things I can think of right now that I have to reach for CD's to listen to (and I may be behind on the Neko Case thing. Edit: Yup, I was.)

I tried the shelf-liner a couple years ago, and while quite effective, in a positive sense, the liner left surface patterns on the vinyl.

I tried washing the liner, to no avail. I don't think the liner residue was audible, but it certainly was visible.

YMMV

I do recommend the zerostat.

I tried the shelf-liner a couple years ago, and while quite effective, in a positive sense, the liner left surface patterns on the vinyl.

I tried washing the liner, to no avail. I don't think the liner residue was audible, but it certainly was visible.

YMMV

I do recommend the zerostat.

At times it can leave a patter, but it in no way affects the playing of the vinyl since the liner doesn't penetrate the grooves.

My mat hasn't left a pattern on my vinyl in months. The only few times it has it was because the vinyl stayed on the mat for a few days.

I can't hear the difference between a cd I rip from lp and that lp...

Yeah that's my impression too. I read this great review of a the Rockport Technologies System III Sirius Turntable (somewhere north of 70 grand) and he spends time raving about the CD-Rs ripped from the LPs :) He did say the table creamed the CD-R when compared to each other (I doubt it) but he went on to say that the CD-R creams any of the other turntables he has heard. Hilarious.... If that's not a sign of the turntable getting in the way of the recording I don't know what is.

That said I think turntables are neat looking.

Why don't you guys go start an "I Hate Vinyl and I'ts A Waste of Time and Money" thread and quit dumping on my OP. You can all go over there and congratulate your selves on your wisdom and your great ears. When digital hits 36/384 I hope that I will be able to join you. All the hopping up and down to change the record is making me muscle bound.

On an on topic note I think I'll take my Zerostat into my audio dealer next time I visit and see if it is working compared to his Zerostat.

In my OP I was thinking that something that would possibly effect magnetic charge would also ground out any static charge. Does anyone know if that would be likely aside from the magnetize/demagnetize issue? Perhaps that is the effect that the believers in those devices are hearing.

Why don't you guys go start an "I Hate Vinyl and I'ts A Waste of Time and Money" thread and quit dumping on my OP. You can all go over there and congratulate your selves on your wisdom and your great ears. When digital hits 36/384 I hope that I will be able to join you. All the hopping up and down to change the record is making me muscle bound.

On an on topic note I think I'll take my Zerostat into my audio dealer next time I visit and see if it is working compared to his Zerostat.

In my OP I was thinking that something that would possibly effect magnetic charge would also ground out any static charge. Does anyone know if that would be likely aside from the magnetize/demagnetize issue? Perhaps that is the effect that the believers in those devices are hearing.

looks like your posts are just as worthless as they are at Head-Fi. What idiot doesn't know the difference between static electricity and magnetization?

i am drawn to this thread, it's magnetic, and feeling the static gives me a charge. :P

How long will it last?

One can reasonably expect on the order of 10,000 such "squeeze cycles" during the lifetime of a Zerostat 3 unit, although the typical Zerostat 3 will last much longer, sometimes as long as up to 50,000 trigger squeezes. The Zerostat 3 needs no batteries or electrical supply nor does it contain any radioactive components.

if you have an older one it might not last as long or offer the same number of effective squeezes.

i am drawn to this thread, it's magnetic, and feeling the static gives me a charge. :P

How long will it last?

One can reasonably expect on the order of 10,000 such "squeeze cycles" during the lifetime of a Zerostat 3 unit, although the typical Zerostat 3 will last much longer, sometimes as long as up to 50,000 trigger squeezes. The Zerostat 3 needs no batteries or electrical supply nor does it contain any radioactive components.

if you have an older one it might not last as long or offer the same number of effective squeezes.

I have a real old one (probably ca. 1985-1990, possibly older than that) that still works just fine. It came with a neon light thingie to test it with. You pop that in the barrel opening and if it lights up, the Zerostat is working. The instructions with mine told you to pull and release the trigger with it pointing at 3 different spots around the LP, and then pull the trigger while pointing at the spindle, and then point it at the floor and release the trigger. Mine came in one of the big Discwasher sets with the wood base BTW.

Congrats. I fully respect the vinyl crowd for their dedication to a medium that to me only seems to get in the way of actually listening to the music. I get plenty of enjoyment out of CD's that I can rip losslessly and spend 1/100 of the setup time that you vinyl guys do only to have to justify what is generally a higher noise floor in the name of superior sound. So, after only an hour or so of prep you get to sit and listen for 20 minutes before you have to get up, flip the disc, maybe wonder if you remembered to clean both sides only to bump the arm and wonder if you shouldn't realign it before going back to listen only then remembering that you forgot the demag the album. Love that superior sound! But wait, it's only better if you've dropped about 5 grand on a table, arm, cart, stylus, phono-stage, cleaning supplies, f'ing demagnatizer, record brush, global azimuth arm positioning system, etc., etc, ad nauseam. And that's not to mention that it's a complete crapshoot if you can actually find what you want to listen to on vinyl. :P

This is exactly why I'm recording my vinyl. While some of my pressings have some surface noise, many others are silent--or have an occasional pop--easily edited out. Over all, I'm amazed how well they've turned out. For example, my pressing of Michael Hedges' "Aerial Boundaries" (I bought in the mid-'80s) is to die for. :)

I have a real old one (probably ca. 1985-1990, possibly older than that) Mine came in one of the big Discwasher sets with the wood base BTW.

I'm flashing-back to the thousands of these things (discwasher stuff) I sold in my previous life.

... and the tdk and maxell (not "maxwell" :palm:) 10-packs.

I have a real old one (probably ca. 1985-1990, possibly older than that) that still works just fine. It came with a neon light thingie to test it with. You pop that in the barrel opening and if it lights up, the Zerostat is working. The instructions with mine told you to pull and release the trigger with it pointing at 3 different spots around the LP, and then pull the trigger while pointing at the spindle, and then point it at the floor and release the trigger. Mine came in one of the big Discwasher sets with the wood base BTW.

Thanks for the additional instructions. My Zerostat is probably close to that age but the tester is long since gone.

And I still have some of those tapes, although I don't really know why.