gPhone

blessingx

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you brought this up. I was a couple hours late noticing this, I'm slipping. I heard a rumor that it's going to be sold unlocked with 3G bands for ALL US GSM carriers. If so, that would just be crazy (and awesome, as it would hopefully set a precedent for future high end devices). If this came with a SnapDragon, I'd have to try to track one down.

Heh, did you also notice that the poor quality twitter pic was taken with a white iPhone?

I wonder if it's going to use the same 5MP cam (confirmed) that the Droid is using.

I'm really hoping HTC will release a Leo-esque device (HD2) with Android 2.x.

Am I reading correctly that this thing will only operate on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US? I hope not.

Probably, Nate. There are a couple solid devices out on CDMA carriers, but the real star (of the next few months on CDMA, at least) is the Droid. The Droid Eris on Verizon and the Hero on Sprint (revamped versions of the same phone) are both good devices, but running a dated processor (top of the line in August). The Droid is a major step up in speed, and the Google Navigation function is great, albeit a little flawed. I was using it daily in SoFla, but it led us astray in our quest for a pre-flight Five Guys burger. This was just on the 14 month old G1 which I had bogged down, but you could see where the Droid would definitely up it's game. I'm interested in seeing if this is the 'gPhone' or if it's going to be the Dev Phone 2.

@Nate, you ready to head to Android?

**BRENT**

The Droid is so last Friday.

I concur. However, it's a valiant effort by both Motorola and Verizon, and I applaud them for it, as each of them needed to release a good phone.

For people stuck with CDMA, it's a win.

I carry T-Mo and VZW, live in 3G areas for both, and love it.

I'm just expecting this to carry AWS1700 and handle HSPA+ and have a 5MP cam with flash (that's confirmed, at least) and hoping it will incorporate a better keyboard and hope 2.1 fixes the browser (it was so good pre-1.5) and a SnapDragon processor and a gig of ram (doesn't the N900 have a gig of ram?) and I'll go :prettyprincess: Oh, and dammit, a bloody 3.5mm jack. :facepalm: @ HTC with that one.

**BRENT**

Yup, just about. I'm in a semi holding patter since if I go back to Verizon and pick up their data plan it'll be a family-wide change (wife too) and I'm not sure I want to be carrying around a $150/mo cell phone bill.

Did you check to see if your employer has a discount through VZW? Don't forget that if you don't already have a contact there, I believe there will be ways to do it online that will waive the activation fees and whatnot. Also MIGHT be possible to get a 25$ credit on your account with a friends and family program or something. Let me know before you do it and I'll scout some options... usually pretty good at dealing with these things.

You're coming from an iPhone, right? Data phone for the wife, or no?

**BRENT**

The Google Phone: what we know... and what we don't -- Engadget

The engadget guys are probably the most trusted guys out there when it comes to this stuff, so there's some light reading for you.

Cliffs notes:

Probably a Snapdragon-based phone (fastest of the fast processors, possibly up to 1GHz clock speed) with a 3.7-inch AMOLED display, 5 megapixel camera (seemingly with flash), and no physical keyboard. Rumored to be sold unlocked and unsubsidized by T-Mobile through their retail channels, and have both AT&T and T-Mobile 3G bands. Oh, and obviously a trackball.

My Notes:

:prettyprincess::prettyprincess::prettyprincess:

**BRENT**

There are at least two versions floating around (possibly early testers and recent Googler distribution) as there are differences in the HTC branding and button order between some of the shots I've seen and the one I played with Saturday night. Can't know for sure what they have in common, but I'd say you're probably safe with your no keyboard, with camera flash, very fast processor, beautiful screen, similar to Droid in functionality, but at least some OS differences (2.1.1?), miles above the G1 build quality, and trackball assumptions. ;)

Wish I went to the specs screen with the few moments I had it, but didn't. Overall (including shots of the Droid), the first time I felt the iPhone had real competition... if its apps catch up. That's something I'm not exactly optimistic for in the near future (this list isn't encouraging). Then again, if you're anything like me, Google apps account for a good chunk of the use of the "phone" and in most cases better implemented here.

Anyway, we've got Googler members here. Perhaps when the phones are fully distributed we'll get more detailed feedback. This along with likely Android tablets, and even possibly an Apple one, announced at CES in a few weeks, makes this an interesting time.

And typing this on a Nexus One. ;)

Really gorgeous screen (makes the iPhone look low res) and much faster than my iPhone 3G. I don't know if I could do without a few iPhone apps, and miss multi-touch, but man is this nice. I think this is a winner.

Even has a working VU meter for a wallpaper. ;)

And typing this on a Nexus One. ;)

Really gorgeous screen (makes the iPhone look low res) and much faster than my iPhone 3G. I don't know if I could do without a few iPhone apps, and miss multi-touch, but man is this nice. I think this is a winner.

Even has a working VU meter for a wallpaper. ;)

I hate you.

Does this have the Snapdragon processor? Have they upgraded the KB at all in 2.1.x? I really enjoyed the HTC Sense keyboard when I was playing with the Eris, and the stock was OK with the MyTouch3G, but I still reach for my real KB on the G1 8 out 10 times. 1.8 out of ten I go for voice search/entry. 1 out of 50 I'll go virtual, but that's usually just to show it to someone.

What IS the resolution on that? Same as the Droid? Better? I'm wondering if the N1 will be better than the HTC HD2 hardware wise.

I also need to find out of T-Mobile is going to snag this, even if just for unlocked/unsubsidized distribution.

**BRENT**

I hate you.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Don't know how to look-up screen res or processor speed. Not in Settings/About Phone screen. And where are the Googler members we have at HC? Can we or can't we talk about the phone? Google is obviously going for a soft launch.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Don't know how to look-up screen res or processor speed. Not in Settings/About Phone screen. And where are the Googler members we have at HC? Can we or can't we talk about the phone? Google is obviously going for a soft launch.

I'm in India so I might not have the straight dope, but what I heard was we weren't supposed to discuss for a bit. There already have been some peeps that've caught shit (Possibly fired).

why in the world would they do this? seems strange to me.

Don't know if this makes sense, but I've read that Google may be wary of possible Apple's US multi-touch patents? But when I think about it, I'm not sure that makes sense because there are tablet pc's with multi-touch... Perhaps I'm not understanding something. :confused:

I've been told cannot

Don't know if this makes sense, but I've read that Google may be wary of possible Apple's US multi-touch patents? But when I think about it, I'm not sure that makes sense because there are tablet pc's with multi-touch... Perhaps I'm not understanding something. :confused:

From what I understand, Apple doesn't necessarily have solid patents on multi-touch. Doesn't the palm pre do multi-touch? I'm not sure that Apple has patents on gestures either (what I believe most people are referring to re:iPhone vs Android.)

I think that it's a gentleman's agreement between Apple and Google for google to hold off on it for a bit, at least, in the states, something to do in the past where an Apple person was on the board of Google, and/or vice-versa. Just my speculation, though. That has been cleared up, afaik.

One thing I doubt, but is a remote possibility, is that Android is not going to be used only on touchscreen devices, unless the roadmap has changed. They may be having a little trouble unifying things since there are now 10-20 Android devices on the market right now, and there are at least 5 flavors of Android in current circulation right now, not including the cooked roms. We know the hardware is capable, I'm thinking they're just waiting to flip the switch on it in the US.

Now, if they'd just give me back the webkit browser from RC29 I'd be a bit happier.

**BRENT**

• 3 weeks later...