gPhone

blessingx

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that it's not restricted to T-Mobile, it's just that T-Mobile is the only carrier right now with a subsidized purchase price. It ought to work with AT&T if you have a valid SIM card.

It will work with AT&T but will not have access to their 3G network, because that's on a different band that its radio doesn't support. Suspect that's a nonstarter for most people.

The only thing I covet is the N wireless.

EDIT: Penger > Stretch.

I may just get the Nexus One for work.

EDIT: when it comes to a provider that works in NYC, that is (i.e., Verizon).

I would do that. It looks like by far the best Verizon phone.

One possible wrinkle, no lossless audio support except WAV. You're gonna need a big SD card.

Edited by Hopstretch

And hopefully, Verizon won't gimp the hell out of it, like they like to do to their phones.

I'd like to think they won't have the option to do so. I'm now pretty much in a holding pattern as far as my next phone goes. There's too much on the 2010 horizon between AT&T's Apple contract expiring, the gphone potentially coming to Verizon, rumors of an Iphone refresh, etc. Seems like now is a bad time to buy a phone if you want to be on Verizon's network.

I'd like to think they won't have the option to do so. I'm now pretty much in a holding pattern as far as my next phone goes. There's too much on the 2010 horizon between AT&T's Apple contract expiring, the gphone potentially coming to Verizon, rumors of an Iphone refresh, etc. Seems like now is a bad time to buy a phone if you want to be on Verizon's network.

Nate, looks like the word is there won't be a Verizon iPhone until summer at the earliest.

Exclusive: Qualcomm to Power Apple iPhone | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

I might well be going Droid.

I demo'd one in store last week, I didn't like it. I liked the Eris better.

And Stretch, waiting till summer time would be fine. I'm going to try a headset with the iPhone and see if that'll be sufficient for times when the in-car volume leaves me wanting.

Thanks, I'll be sure to demo first.

It just felt clunky, overly thick, and I for one don't need the physical keyboard and couldn't help but think that it would have been a better phone without it. The lack of multi-touch also pissed me off considering the Eris has it and is supposedly the "stripped down version".

It just felt clunky, overly thick, and I for one don't need the physical keyboard and couldn't help but think that it would have been a better phone without it. The lack of multi-touch also pissed me off considering the Eris has it and is supposedly the "stripped down version".
(makes mental note: 'things to look for')

I'm actually thinking I might wait 'til summer, too. I'm going to see if I can get my Palm 700p replaced under the extended service plan, but I might be too late in the game to do so. I'm happy with the tiniest of keyboards over a soft one, but I do prefer a real keyboard.