gPhone

blessingx

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like we're in a weird holding pattern with respect to tech. I know that CES always has it's fair share of "and it'll be available next year!" and just pure vaporware, but it seems like there's more of that than usual. Maybe it's just me. I suppose some of it could be due to the fact that the companies are scratching their eyeballs out trying to get share prices up now that they've cut headcount to the bone, so might as well try to scare up as much buzz-related stock spike as possible. It's a pain in the ass; I don't like waiting around for stuff.

On a completely unrelated note, I think history will reflect that Verizon played the AT&T/iPhone deal perfectly.

I agree with you completely -- especially in this area. And the funny thing is, I don't think it's entirely tech-related. Some of it has to do with economy (people just are being more frugal than previously), and some of it has to do with agreements (like the AT&T/Apple/iPhone one) that needs to play out before something else can happen.

Having had the phone for a bit. I'm fully converted.

My initial qualms with it were 1. no multi touch (The only place I care is squeezy zoom) 2. no at&t 3g since I have 7 months on my contract and don't plan on breaking it.

2 was immediately blown away by the sheer superiority of the hardware specs everything except for a couple of websites loads faster on the edge than on the iphone 3g with 3g.

I also like the os a lot more then I thought I would. I haven't used it much before in the past and there are a few non intuitive quirks where I wish options were on screen rather than one click deep in a menu... but overall its much richer and more powerful than iphone os while being still very intuitive and cool and not glitchy/open sourcey like I feared. (Yes I know its not really open source).

Also the navigation feature combined with things like voice search make me unwilling to even consider going back. God the navigation feature has changed my life.

Oh yeah of course I'm a super light app user which helped the transition (I use shazam/yelp/fandango and now advanced task killer and that's pretty much it). But I'm sure the app situation is a deal breaker for many if not most. There are just so many cool built in to the OS features that probably replace apps like this extremely cool battery use view... autocomplete as it should be and not the abomination that the iphone had.

As for playing with this phone and playing with droid... well the droid felt like a cheap/plastic toy to me and this phone is frankly the nicest phone I've ever felt. I didn't think it would feel better than my iphone 3g, but yeah it feels much classier and nicer built. I've also never needed a physical keyboard since I've been iphone and now this and the droid's keyboard is kinda shitty... so that doesn't really help the droid for me.

Lastly: Can I get an Amen for no more fucking having to go through itunes to move shift music around? This + navigation = massive victory.

Edited by Icarium

You say that, but then you find yourself in India wanting to put new music on your Iphone but it's synced to your desktop almost exactly 1/2 of a world away.

Yeah I know there are ways around this and smarter things that I could have done besides syncing it to my desktop, but its all still kind of cumbersome and annoying to deal with.

Yeah I know there are ways around this and smarter things that I could have done besides syncing it to my desktop, but its all still kind of cumbersome and annoying to deal with.

+1,000. I don't understand why they make that so hard.

I'm glad the Android hardware is catching up. The more good choices, the better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...