gPhone

blessingx

The iPhone 4.0 Beta OS has the ability to tether. The question is will Att finally activate it and what will be the charge. I have Att tethering on my iPhone because I am still on 3.0 and it works, just not as good as MyWi. This feature was taken away, when 3.1 was release. This time, according the article I will link, it looks like there is a screen to activate, which there wasn't with the 3.0 version, so there is some hope.

Internet Tethering for AT&T Customers to Finally Arrive with iPhone OS 4.0? - Mac Rumors

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want the EVO. I dislike the TFT LCD screen though. My fears are being confirmed by rumors about the light leakage around the outside of the screen as well, really wish that they hadn't chose to cheap out on the screen.

What's so bad about the screen? It seems they have used the same screen from the HD2, which I use daily. I gotta say, it's pretty :ian: If you can get good Sprint service, really not much of a reason not to get this. I ran the #s and it'd only be about 15$ more than my VZW dumbphone line. She who must be obeyed She who should be taken into consideration has already veto'd getting a Sprint line, but we'll see.

The iPhone 4.0 Beta OS has the ability to tether. The question is will Att finally activate it and what will be the charge. I have Att tethering on my iPhone because I am still on 3.0 and it works, just not as good as MyWi. This feature was taken away, when 3.1 was release. This time, according the article I will link, it looks like there is a screen to activate, which there wasn't with the 3.0 version, so there is some hope.

Internet Tethering for AT&T Customers to Finally Arrive with iPhone OS 4.0? - Mac Rumors

iPhone stuff in a gPhone thread?!?!? You thinking of joining the Axis of Not Evil, Mike?

**BRENT**

Nope, just responding to post #154. There really is no reason for me to switch to another carrier as it is unlikely I will get better service and I don't believe I will get a better phone than the iPhone 4G.

I posted somewhere else that I can get out of my ATT contract on 5 lines for $300 as of 8/10 so I was researching Android phones. As you know from chat, what I read did not cause me to believe I would be better off with an Android based phone.

• 1 month later...

They are soooo close. The HD2 is pretty much the sexiest feeling phone I've ever come across (haven't played with the iPhone 4 yet, but I hear physically, it is amazing), and with Android instead of WM6.5, the phone should be just about perfect. Too bad it's a bit slow running Ubuntu. I wonder if it'd work with a BT Mouse and KB? Hmmm...

**BRENT**

• 2 weeks later...

Nate... played with an X today... I like the hardware. phone wasn't activated so i didn't get a chance to test a lot of things but the size was manageable and I saw a ronan who made an appointment to get one. She asked my opinion and we talked about it f for five minutes. if petite 50 year old women love this phone the size should bee fine for you. I really did like the hardware.

Got a chance to play with the Droid X and Evo 4g over the last couple of days.

both are so big but fit easily in a jeans pocket (cause they are thin?) i like the Evo's placement of the sleep/wake button but the Droid is unnatural being in the middle of such a large phone. love the Droid X's camera button..probably the best thing i seen on a smart phone lately (next to ip4's display). the Droid X could not make a call, actually the owner and i both tried for an hour (the mic was not working when he held it up to his ear, but for google and speaker phone it worked perfect,,any ideas?), we both laughed at the fact two of the best smart phones on the planet and one cant hold a call while the other wont let you be heard on a call. the evo's 4G speed loaded in at 3.5mbps on 4G, while my ip4 rated in at 2.8mbps on 3g, the Droid x's 3G was 1.5mbps..all very good in terms of speed. all three of us agreed the ip4 had amazing screen when it came to video, we watched a dvd copy of Blazing saddles which looks so damn good on the ip4 screen, while we watched t2 on the droid and UP on the Evo both where suppose to be done in 720p. so it came down to a lower resolution movie looked better on the ip4's higher res screen. but the little bit of extra size or both android phones made you want to watch more movie then the smaller ip4. didnt get to test the camera's. i did play with the Droid while i was trying to get the mic working, i played around in the settings menus and wow...just way to much shit going on there, like way to many choices and i don't like how the menu layout or look is compared to Apple's, then again i could be used to mine though. love the Droid X's "droid" voice when you get a text or turn the phone off, actually its pure awesome. the ip4 feels more professional, the droid x feels solid but the evo felt cheapish in your hands, this we all agreed on with the ip4's glass and steal body was a big step above. the android market is not as pretty as the ip4's app store but is pretty easy to navigate. at first when the browser on the Droid x gave you the option of which one you want to use (factory or the user loaded opera) was cool but after a few times going on the net it turned out to be annoying more then anything. everyone says the phones are more open then the ip4, but to me the two phones O/S just felt less put together. didnt get to test battery life but we all noticed the EVo running threw its battery a bit faster, actually when 4G was on it was really gulping juice where the Droid X and ip4 just siped.

at the end of it all i really walked out happy owning my ip4 but the EVO 4G and Droid X are the best Android's i ever played with and that makes me really happy...the closer the competition gets the more features the end user gets on any phone! also i am really happy to see the Droid so well done, the fit and finish of the phone itself was great, really happy to see the local boys and gals at MOTO step up and get in this race with a horse that can compete. the evo could make a call and have the call be heard so as a cell phone it was hands down the winner, the Droid X had better build and awesome layout with the camera button, the ip4 felt more refined, more thought out, more thought out in the smaller details from the screen to the steal sides, it was clear who was chasing who in the smart phone game. next year i think Android will be toe to toe with the iPhone, then again when Steve announced the 2007 first iPhone he did say it was 5 years ahead of the market.

My first step into the smartphone realm and after a little behind the scenes chatting to Brent, I picked up an EVO. It is probably wasted on me as I essentially needed a phone that could sync to exchange and read standard documents etc. Never having spent any time with anything like this , I am totally wowed by what it can do. It even gets a signal in the deadzone of my office - my flip that this replaces couldn't pick up a signal and sprint even sent me an airave which IT will not allow on their broadband.

The browser is pretty quick but I have yet to learn how to navigate between windows and how to be less firm with my finger strokes as I keep making the phone do things that I didn't particularly want it to. I thought the size was going to be an issue and came very close to picking up the samsung galaxy but am very glad I stuck with my initial conviction and got the HTC. It can be personalized so much it is incredible and has a very cool feature of being able to set up various "platforms" for work and play. Simple to flip between them and gives the phone a total different level of functionality. I am not crazy about the stock music player so foobar had best hurry up and get their app released. The docking station looks pretty cool too.

..dB

doubleTwist should be a good solution for your music player woes.

I'm glad it's working out for you, dB, especially in the former Dead Zone. If you didn't know, you can set that phone as a wifi hotspot for a 20$/mo fee, iirc. Also, if you wanted to be able to tether to you computer (for free), check out PdaNet.

If I didn't tell you previously, check out App Brain.

Also, if you do much/any reading, the Nook app just landed on Android, Audible has a supposedly phenomenal app out (possibly in beta still, but look it up in the Market), Kindle has an app. Lots of stuff out there.

Also, if you didn't know, Google Maps has built-in turn-by-turn navigation service. Amazon has an app with a barcode scanner which will allow you go scan barcodes (using the camera) when you're out, compare prices with Amazon, add-to-cart or even buy straight from the phone. I'd also download Shazam if you ever listen to a song but just don't know the name of it and want to know within a few seconds. For other barcode scanners, I like Barcode Scanner, Compare Everywhere and/or ShopSaavy. I'd get at least one beyond the Amazon app... you can scan the QR codes that are popping up here and there for various things, including ones that take you straight to the download of certain programs/apps.

So that's what, 10 apps down, 100,000 to go? That should keep you busy. :)

**BRENT**

Oh... almost forgot the most important thing. www.Head-case.org. Click on the chat room. :)

Edited by MexicanDragon

I had tried to resist exploring App Brain until I had the time but you know how that goes. I used the NAV function the other day - driving , couldn't find the place , spoke to the phone and it took me where I needed to be - boggles the mind. Blue Ant may well be a MUST ;)

I did check out double twist , it seems to have an issue with the EVO so I will watch their forum closely until they figure it out and then try it. Tapatalk also looks like a must have :D ..dB

ps - no idea about the sound, have yet to plug a pair of headphones into it