SVS Decision: PB12-NSD vs. 20-39 PCi

postjack

So finally accepting the fact that I'm a bass head, I've decided to pair a sub with my 22Ls. While it'd be cool to get the Quad L-sub and have a matching set, reviews of the L-sub say it lacks the lowest bass frequencies. I would be devastated if I paid $1000 for a heavy ass sub and it didn't reproduce low bass effectively, so I've decided to go with SVS and save some money at the same time.

Room size is 13 x 10, ceiling height just under 8'. As you can imagine, floor space is at a minimum. My 22Ls are 18" from the side wall and 24" from the back wall.

So, while I could possibly squeeze the PB12-NSD in the corner behind the speakers, it would be a tight squeeze, coming right up on the speaker and possibly messing with the sound a bit. The PB12-NSD measures 18" wide x 21" high x 25" deep.

Alternatively, I could go with a cylinder sub. The PB12-NSD's cylinder equivalent is the 20-39 PCi. According to SVS, the two subs are sonic equivalents. The biggest difference and the best benefit to me would be the cylinder goes up instead of out. The 16" diameter would be much more desirable to the PB12's massive footprint.

Both subs have continuously variable phase control and variable low pass crossover frequency control. The one control feature the PB12 has on the 20-39 is something called variable tuning. I don't really know what this is, is it something I want?

Both subs cost $599, but I'm leaning towards the cylinder because its smaller and lighter. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the cylinder, sound wise? Just purely based on your experience or opinions on box vs. cylinder subwoofers designs?

Thanks.

If this is solely for music, do you really need a 12" sub? There are more compact options that would give you loads of extension for anything short of pipe organ extravaganzas.

Otherwise, if the cylinder form factor works best for you then go for it. I remember seeing some measurements a while back of the SVS box subs and equivalent cylinders and there was really no significant difference in response.

I have baby Quads (10Ls) and owed 21Ls for a few years during which I used a small REL subwoofer (Q series?) that had very good integration with both sets of Quads. That REL and the PSB that replaced it were both about a square foot, and IIRC the REL had pretty robust output below around 35 Hz. REL's product line seems to change regularly but they seem to have an ultracompact still in their stable. I'd guess 800.00 or so for the PSB and much less for a used REL.

best,

k

Posty, go with the cylinder I have the PC-Ultra and love the floor space that it saved vs my old sub. It also puts out a hell of a lot of bass.

Also, try to keep the cross-over as low as you can. With your 22L's I'd have the sub running from 40hz on down.