sunn o))) are back (sunn + ancient church organs!)

deepak

A new double LP with amazing organ drone :cool: from drone masters sunn. I've heard the entire album via a stream and it is absolutely amazing- IMO their best work since Black One; better than all the side projects and one offs they've released, this one is black as hell! The album isn't pure organ drone, but has some vocals, guitar and bass.

splash2pg0.jpg

"Last year sunn 0))) was invivted to perform at a ancient cathedral in Bergen Norway . The performance was captured via 24 track mobile recording and the resuluts were pressed onto double 180 gram vinyl. This recording will be available exclusively on vinyl only. There will not be a digital release (cd or downloads). Pure analog! The 0))) lineup for this performance includes Attila Csihar (Mayhem) on vocals, Steve Moore (Earth, Ascend) on the churchs' legendary pipe organ and Norwegian native Lasse Marhaug on electronics.

The packaging for "D

SouthernLord's distributor that presses them has great quality control and apparently they weren't happy with the surface noise they were getting with the grey vinyl. So it's been pushed back a few days (though they say the wait could be up to four weeks :( ) and is now being pressed on clear/black swirl vinyl for whoever ordered the grey. Works for me :)

• 1 month later...
I've yet to buy a southern lord vinyl that doesn't sound marvelous. And I've bought quite a few!

Turns out Domkirke was the first southern lord vinyl I purchased that didn't sound "marvelous". :rolleyes: Actually sides 1, 2, and 4 sounded marvelous, but there was a horrible repetitive scratching noise on side 3. Also they forgot to include my t-shirt. I finally boxed it up and sent it back last week, we'll see how the replacement sounds.

Musically its gnarly as hell.

Turns out Domkirke was the first southern lord vinyl I purchased that didn't sound "marvelous". :rolleyes: Actually sides 1, 2, and 4 sounded marvelous, but there was a horrible repetitive scratching noise on side 3. Also they forgot to include my t-shirt. I finally boxed it up and sent it back last week, we'll see how the replacement sounds.

Musically its gnarly as hell.

Ah that's right. Mine sounded great on all four sides. As much as I like classic Sunn, this is fast approaching one of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

SL customer service update:

Sent in my faulty Domkirke vinyl a month ago, still no communication from SL, no new vinyl, and no t-shirt that was supposed to be included in my order. Also no Boris LP that I paid for last January and never received.

I'm picturing their customer service department as this one guy in a sweaty Sabbath t-shirt laying under his desk with a needle sticking out of his arm.

I'm thinking in the future I'll avoid buying direct from SL and just go through a retailer instead.

• 1 month later...

Email I sent to SL's customer no-service guy just now:

"So I was reluctant to even try and return my faulty Domkirke vinyl, due to my past experience with the Boris vinyl not even being in a shipment I ordered, and my repeated emails on the subject to SL over a period of a year being completely ignored. Basically that was a free $17 for Southern Lord, but I chalked it up to bad luck and continued to patronize your business.

BUT, the Domkirke vinyl really was unplayable, so I thought, what the hell, I'll send SL an email and see if they don't actually respond this time. I was pretty dumbfounded when you did actually respond and offer to resolve my problem.

Should have known it was to good to be true, because I've received zero satisfaction on any of the three issues I have with SL:

1) My Domkirke vinyl is faulty

2) I am still owed a Boris Deep Red Pink vinyl or a store credit of some kind

3) I am still owed a Sunn t-shirt that was to be included with my Domkirke vinyl

You claim you sent me the package via media mail in December. I don't believe you. Maybe you sent it to the wrong address, maybe you didn't send it at all, I don't know. I don't know what you all do all day, besides not send me products I pay for.

I feel I have been more then understanding with Southern Lord in regards to these issues. I am not a rich man, and when I choose to spend what little money I can scrape together to support a small record label recording good music and pressing it on vinyl, I would think they would be damn appreciative of my business. As it stands I'm disgusted with SL, and have no intentions of doing any business with you or any of the artists you represent ever again."