Outlet advice.

Knuckledragger

The two receptacles in the wall by my computer and assorted audio equipment are both quite poor. They're at least 25 years old and don't hold plugs well anymore. I'm looking for some quality replacements. I balk at the idea of paying $100+ for boutique audio outlets, but I don't want $3 pieces of junk either. There must be some middle ground in the market. Any suggestions on brands, models, and where to look would be muchly appreciated.

The two receptacles in the wall by my computer and assorted audio equipment are both quite poor. They're at least 25 years old and don't hold plugs well anymore. I'm looking for some quality replacements. I balk at the idea of paying $100+ for boutique audio outlets, but I don't want $3 pieces of junk either. There must be some middle ground in the market. Any suggestions on brands, models, and where to look would be muchly appreciated.

check out the Porter Ports on Audiogon.

For general outlets available at hardware stores such as Menards, etc., Pass and Seymour are what used to be recommended (before the Oyaide, etc. flood of audiophool products... note that this is based on not having used any of these :palm:). Something like a 5262 IIRC.

Thanks for the replies. The Porter Ports are reasonably priced, by the standards of power products directed toward audiophiles. That said, I am completely unsold on the merits of cryo treating, especially for power components. I spent a bit of time digging around the Leviton site Jeepster linked to, and found what suits me. The "One Stop Buy" online store has these for $10 each.

The store also have a variety of hospital grade plugs, but I'm going to resist the urge to start making my own power cables at this juncture.

Here's some interesting material and discussion about receptacles from Audiogon. Mostly it references other links. Hospital grade has mostly to do with how much force it takes to remove the plug and also that it won't spark when inserting or removing a plug. It probably has nothing to do with getting better sound quality.

Hospital grade info

• 3 weeks later...

w00t. After no updates to my order for two weeks, the outlets arrived yesterday. As I type this, the electrician is installing the first one. The outlets in my room will be easy, and the two in the kitchen will be okay. I am not looking forward to moving my 120lb TV and the massive mission library table it sits on. Said table also houses my 5ch Rotel amp an my housemate's X-Box. It is an absolute clusterfuck of weight and wires, and the outlet is directly behind it.

knuckledragger-albums-smileys-picture241-blink.gif

2950717688_eba869101e.jpg?v=0

I now have six peculiar white receptacles in my house. They really don't like to let go of the plug they are holding, which stands in stark contrast to the 25+ year old outlets they replaced. I am as of yet unsold on any sound quality improvements, and will most likely remain so. At least my plugs don't fall out of the wall now. After coughing up $11 per outlet, and $40 per hour to have them installed, I'm thinking I should spring for some new faceplates. The current ones are vintage 1967 and rather grimy.

knuckledragger-albums-smileys-picture241-blink.gif

• 4 weeks later...