Very, very portable audio ... fast too.

Tyll Hertsens

I've been having sooooo much fun putting together a 100mph audio system I just couldn't resist posting it up for your viewing pleasure before it starts moving too fast to see.

You see, I bought me a super slab gobbler (highway bike) and I had to rig up some music.

This is what it looked like when I bought it.

377485585_3oisW-L.jpg

A week later it looked like this.

378108379_LU2bX-L.jpg

Didn't really have to take it apart that far just to install the gear, but I wanted to see what was under the hood. (BTW, what's under the hood is a 1300cc, 140hp, 100ft/lb torque screaming Yama-mill.)

Then I did a bunch of this shit.

382360040_gXvDG-L.jpg

382364885_xSkx6-L.jpg

382363753_Xc3Y3-L.jpg

382366869_CJTiw-L.jpg

384145475_pcmv8-L.jpg

384133107_4FawL-L.jpg

384132139_XByHN-L.jpg

And now it looks like this:

384146787_CyBE3-XL.jpg

Guess how I'm getting to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest next week?

384148862_B2Fud-XL.jpg

Mua ha ha ha ha ha!

If you're interested in the whole thread, visit here.

Nice job Tyll. You should see John Chase's DRZ-400S. He didn't do anything for music. In place of that, he added several lights. You two would get along great. I'll introduce you if you ever get to SB.

For motorcyclists, John is the "Chase" in Chase Harper. He hasn't been a part of Chase Harper for many years, though he remains close to Ron Harper and offers advice, etc. to him.

Ain't that illegal/inadvisable?

For most of us motorcyclists it's a big gray area. Most of us refuse to ride without hearing protection (those of us who value our hearing anyway) since ambient noise levels, especially at highway speeds, are significant. Also, studies have shown that road noise contributes to fatigue which is something that affects motorcycle riders a lot more than cage drivers. Couple all that with the idea that "helmet speakers" aren't illegal (as far as I know) and IEMs seem no worse than what a lot of other people are doing anyway. I've been pulled over before wearing IEMs and the officer didn't say a thing about them.

For most of us motorcyclists it's a big gray area. Most of us refuse to ride without hearing protection (those of us who value our hearing anyway) since ambient noise levels, especially at highway speeds, are significant. Also, studies have shown that road noise contributes to fatigue which is something that affects motorcycle riders a lot more than cage drivers. Couple all that with the idea that "helmet speakers" aren't illegal (as far as I know) and IEMs seem no worse than what a lot of other people are doing anyway. I've been pulled over before wearing IEMs and the officer didn't say a thing about them.

Understood. The other reason I asked was the big chunky plug jacked into the output on the Micro Portable in this pic. I wondered whether it was connected to a helmet or something other than regular IEMs. Plus, I just love the fact that the XM is playing Barbara Streisand, Draw Me a Circle. :D

384146787_CyBE3-XL.jpg

The only thing I can add to the legality issue is this... I was looking into if headphones are legal while driving (I had a soft-top Wrangler Rubicon, and the cabin noise was tough to handle... as Nate said, it could be very fatiguing on longer trips). All I found mentioning headphones anywhere was the State of NH bicycle laws, which basically said you must follow all motor vehicle laws, and they also recommended you not use headphones while riding. My logical leap was that it must not be against the law in automobiles (and by extension motorcycles) if they specifically recommend (but not prohibit) their use while on bicycles.

In California, it's illegal to drive wearing headphones or earplugs. The exception is it's legal to wear earplugs (and I would assume IEMs) if they are custom fit. This is true for driving both cars and motorcycles. I wear custom fit earplugs. However, I don't know of a single person who has gotten a ticket for wearing generic earplugs.

I think that all of the outputs are routed to the 4 channel passive mixer (just to the right of the GPS) and I'm guessing that he has a cable going from that terminated with a female mini so that when he gets off the bike he doesn't unplug anything from the mixer.

Yeah, whut he said. Well, sort of: the output from the mixer goes to the amp, and then the output from the amp goes to a shot 1/8 inch headphone extension cable that goes under the tank bag. Then I plug my headphones into that.

I used the Q-Jays because they are so small they don't interfere with putting the helmet on and off. I tried my UE11s and found I couldn't get the helmet on and off without dislodging them enough to unseat them and break the seal, and it's impossible to get my fingers in there to re-fit them with my helmet on. A good fitting helmet is VERY snug.

Lot's of motorcyclists use ER6 IEMs, but frankly I'm surprised they can successfully use them inside helmets. Q-Jays with ER6 baby blue tips seems the way to go for riders, it seems to me.