how low can the 650s go?

crappyjones123

ive been messing around with the following dvd http://www.rotarywoofer.com/demodvdwebpage/eminentdemodvd.html

the gear is as follows.

laptop (ibm t43) -> single ended beta 22 -> hd 650.

all generic cables.

i tried that bass test with the 650s and the lowest i could hear was the 30hz clip. at lower freq. i knew the driver was moving but it was just a bunch of distortion as if the driver wanted to do something but couldnt. i dont know if the source was prohibiting it from going even down to 24hz...it very well might be the case or is it freq. range listen for ideal conditions/theoretical under lab conditions?

i ask because i just tried the crossroads iems i gave away to a friend and with those i could hear down to the 20hz clip. below that, there was a lot more distortion. did they seem to go lower because they are iems and closer to ear drum while the 650s movement of air is not severe enough to be noticed by my ears? chances are my ears arent the same as they were last year (i have noticed an increasing loss in hearing) but the fact that i could hear the freq. with the iems removes the ears as a probably culprit in the problem.

oh and the iems were plugged in directly to my laptop (no amp), but the beta was used with the 650s.

-cj

edit: am i talking about getting the last few % out of the headphone with a much better amp + source with upgraded cables? i know the source needs to be replaced before i make any complaints against the sound but just wondering if theres an answer given the current rig.

Lots of psytrance has sub-bass basslines that are designed for large dance-floor systems that can replicate it. Listen to early Hallucinogen and Cosmosis on a generic system and you'd swear there isn't any meaningful bass, but then put it on something with actual presence in the deep bass region and whoa :o

While this is theoretically interesting I am unsure how much music even exsists in the sub 30 area practically speaking.

It may also be possible that the impedence of the 650s factor in at that level.

Well, if one happens to be a fan of organ music or piano pieces played on the B

Why not just end the debate,

and use a software tone generator, say like ►►Test Tone Generator Software for Windows / Function and White Pink Noise Generator

and generate tones of the exact frequency you desire, or a series so you can find the threshold of interest.

Or, in case your computer hardware is the limiting factor, get a real hardware tone generator, for some real "old school" analog sine waves. You must know some one with access to physics / electronic test gear?

Failing that, do you have a Theremin handy?

no offense man but thats sounds really really boring...cool but i dont think i could sit here and just listen to that for an hour.

dreadhead, the volume was raised higher than normal.

Yeah I can understand that. But I'm a big drone fanboy ;D (sunn, Earth, Ocean, Soriah, etc)

Though I became hooked the first time I heard Sunn O)))'s White1.

just a little warning note...dont try that dvd at relatively high volumes for too long. it says so at the beginning of the dvd but being young and impulsive i forwarded past that portion and now ive had a massive headache for the past 3 days with a pretty bad earache to go with it. hope i didnt do any damage to my ears...couldnt do any more damage to my brain so not worried about that.

a good amount of information, actually. I'll agree with aerius on the "bonus black key" pianos.

I played one of those once. One that was badly repaired/restored by some idiots at Bob Jones University (I have a past fundamentalist Christian life). It had some freaky feedback issues. There was some satisfaction to be gained from sounding like Jimi Hendrix playing classical music, at BJU.