Ultimate Disc

blessingx

• 2 months later...

So, let me get this straight...

Music ripped to a computer from one of these discs sounds better than music ripped from a run-o-the-mill cd, right?

They currently only sell these in blank disc format, right?

You would need to first burn music to the computer, to be able to burn it back onto the magic disc, right?

:asshat::asshat::asshat::palm::asshat::asshat::asshat:

Speaking of snake oil like products. Has anyone tried using one of those demagnitizers or anti static (Zerostat) on their cds to see if there was a noticable sonic difference? Note I said sonic difference not necessarily an improvement, and yes I know cds are made of nonmagnetic metal but that dosen't necessarily mean that using one of those degausser thingys may provide some improvement.

Come on fess up, I know you all have thought about it at some time. :P

Speaking of snake oil like products. Has anyone tried using one of those demagnitizers or anti static (Zerostat) on their cds to see if there was a noticable sonic difference?

I got a demonstration of the CD demagnetizer at my local audio dealer, much to my surprise it worked. It shouldn't work, but on that particular CD of mine it did. It didn't work on CDRs though, so I guess a solution would be to copy all your CDs to CDRs, and for the cost of the demagnetizer you could buy a hell of a lot of CDR blanks.

Speaking of snake oil like products. Has anyone tried using one of those demagnitizers or anti static (Zerostat) on their cds to see if there was a noticable sonic difference? Note I said sonic difference not necessarily an improvement, and yes I know cds are made of nonmagnetic metal but that dosen't necessarily mean that using one of those degausser thingys may provide some improvement.

Come on fess up, I know you all have thought about it at some time. :P

I confess - I use a Zerostat on my LP's to get rid of built up static. In case your wondering, yes - it does work. It does indeed get rid of static.

Evidently there's a reason why it works on vinyl, but they don't seem to advertise it. You can build up a magnetic inclination of some sort on any surface simply by passing a magnet over it in the same direction multiple times. The surface itself doesn't have to be ferrous.

This is what my wife tells me, and while she is infinitely smarter than I, she was also dumb enough to marry me, so take it with a grain of salt.

did you DBT it?

No, since at the time we only had one copy of the CD. For a DBT we'd need 2 copies, and make sure they're both properly magnetized or whatever to screw up the sound, and DBT them to make sure the sound is equally screwed on both CDs, then demag one and DBT the damn things again. No fucking way I'm going to do all that unless I get paid for it.