HE 1.2B and Buffalo Loaner Program.

naamanf

Sweet! Thanks for putting me on the list, and thanks for doing this! It's unbelievably generous. Also, these cans could very well be very important in the high-end market if they really are good, and it will be very helpful to the community to have a solid base of impressions right at release time.

No problem. I figured I would just share the love instead of having the gear sit around. Also in the case of the 1.2Bs I think it will be good for others to hear how they sound and what the build quality (or lack there of) is like.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I wish could take part in that, but there's no way I'm risking someone else's sub with two kittens around.

Whoops, I was just being a smartass. This SVS sub is huge and costs ~$70 to ship. :D

heh, just realized I'm sending another headcase loaner thing to postjack

just grab my address from your rolodex. ;D

Guest sacd lover

I have a Buffalo and the Buf is a very good dac. That said, I like my Opus/ zap filter or Zhalous (2.0c/ 2.5c) dacs, also with zap filters .... better. I think the Buffalo is slightly lacking in the bass regoin, the tonality is lean vs what I prefer and the treble is not as refined compared with the zap filter sources.

I have found an amp that mates beautifully with the Buffalo. But, that amp is inately rich, fuller and more refined sounding. The amp in questionn, a PPX3 SLAM with blackgates sounds a little to restrained and slightly dark with my usual sources. However, the brighter and leaner sound of the Buf wakes this amp up completey. The Buf works well with the Bottlehead too; for the same reasons.

I surmise the IVY output stage is holding the Buf back. If the Buf had a zap filter or some other disctrete tube or MOSFET output stage I would bet the Buf would come out on top.

I am very interested in trying the Buffalo with some other output stages. TP is coming out with a discrete I/V stage and I am also (when I get time) going to make a tube output stage for my Pass D1 clone that I will try with the Buffalo. I also have a Zapfiler that is currently unemployed that I can try out when I get home. I wasn't a big fan of the Zapfilter on the Opus though.

I got the chassis for my buffalo yesterday, or at least the chassis that I was hoping to use. Turns out I was a little aggressive in thinking just how tight a space I could cram all this into and it's not going to work. :palm: But I guess this will allow me to select something larger that might accommodate additional modules and features in the future.

If/when I get the Buffalo done I might be willing to send it around to meets like I've done with the Hertsens in the past.

I have a couple of chassis' knocking around I don't currently have a use for, what size do you need?

I should be all set really, I think I have a Context Desktop chassis that is definitely large enough. Feel free to shoot me a PM with what you've got though, I might be able to use it for something else.

Hey, it will be great to have you back in town! Will you get to stay in Colorado Springs or will they be shipping you out somewhere else after this?

I look forward to inviting you over again to listen to stuff - since you were here last I got the HE60 drivers replaced, and added a Woo GES maxed and SR-007 Mk2. I think it's very nice of you to loan out stuff for others to hear.

Hey, it will be great to have you back in town! Will you get to stay in Colorado Springs or will they be shipping you out somewhere else after this?

I look forward to inviting you over again to listen to stuff - since you were here last I got the HE60 drivers replaced, and added a Woo GES maxed and SR-007 Mk2. I think it's very nice of you to loan out stuff for others to hear.

I should be in CS for at least a couple months after getting back. Look forward to giving the new stuff a listen.

For those of you on the loaner list if you could just shoot me a PM when you receive the item and ship it to the next person so I can have an idea where it is.