HE 1.2B and Buffalo Loaner Program.

naamanf

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the HE amps work at 600v but 580v seems to work fine.

I was expecting that they'd be easier to drive than they are. Volume with my KGSS is ~10% less than the SR-007. I cannot get a good seal at all with them. If I push the cups all the way down towards the floor it's not bad, but I still get leakage at the bottom of my ears, right between my jaw bone and and whatever is not hard that's behind my jaw bone ... deepak? :)

I always said they were pretty hard to drive but everyone else seemed to say the contrary so I just let it go.

As for the seal I never really got one either but they still sounded fine without it, unlike the 007.

probably no one wants a running commentary here, as I've listened to them for all but 1 hour.. but.. they sound kinda "dynamicish", especially in the mid range. Not as much so as the ESP-950 and pretty much opposite of the SR-007. There's a lot of extension and it's reasonably controlled, which is a bit surprising. That's with the KGSS, we'll see what the BH does and it's pretty much built for extra oomph in the last octave or so. Things sound a bit recessed and the sound staging pretty much sucks.. by this I mean the center imaging I'm getting is between my ears, it's not really extending out much "in front of me". The other complaint is they sound a bit slow... attacks don't sound as well defined as they do with the either the SR-007 or ESP-950. Maybe they're just warming up :)

Guest sacd lover

I dont know if my Buffalo needed break in or what but the sound has improved noticeably. The Buf still doesnt have the bass punch and overall dynamics of the zap filtered dacs but the overall refinement is so easy on the ears and the realism in the midrange is spooky. THe Buf sounds fantastic with the Millet Starving Student driving Alessandro MS2s .... with an Enigma Audio digital cable and Enigma Audio Copper ICs providing the connections.

All ESP's I've had love the BH except for the He90 since it shines a big, fat spotlight on all of its flaws. As for them being easy to drive, all those comments came from the same crowd that thinks that the He60 is easy to drive as well as the 4070. Couldn't be further from the truth...

The only technical specs on the 1.2b is the bias voltage of 600v and since the Stax adapter doesn't have any inline resistors then the charging resistor should be in the 5M range.

I was expecting that they'd be easier to drive than they are. Volume with my KGSS is ~10% less than the SR-007. I cannot get a good seal at all with them. If I push the cups all the way down towards the floor it's not bad, but I still get leakage at the bottom of my ears, right between my jaw bone and and whatever is not hard that's behind my jaw bone ... deepak? :)

You're making me really dig :o

Let's just call it the fleshy part underneath the mastoid process, sternocleidomastoid muscle is one of its attachments, but I can't remember much beyond that ^-^

More impressions please

You're making me really dig :o

Let's just call it the fleshy part underneath the mastoid process, sternocleidomastoid muscle is one of its attachments, but I can't remember much beyond that ^-^

More impressions please

Yes, more Buffalo impressions please; please mention the music you are playing and which cans you are using since most of you guys own at least five or six pairs.

I dont know if my Buffalo needed break in or what but the sound has improved noticeably. The Buf still doesnt have the bass punch and overall dynamics of the zap filtered dacs but the overall refinement is so easy on the ears and the realism in the midrange is spooky. THe Buf sounds fantastic with the Millet Starving Student driving Alessandro MS2s .... with an Enigma Audio digital cable and Enigma Audio Copper ICs providing the connections.

Any of that grain present and about how many hours has it gone through?

Tyrion, shoot me your addy so I can forward on the he 1.2b.

My impressions were pretty similar to Marc, but even when listening with the BH, the 1.2b still lagged behind the HE60 (my bias) and the Koss (which I did not care for before), in speed, imaging, and darn near every aspect. The good news is that I liked it better than the OII, which means my observations from meet to meet are so random as to be worthless.

I will say my next purchase will be a Koss 950, not a HE.

But the build quality, especially the (bamboo?) earcup holders would keep me awake at night waiting for them to pop apart with the most minor drop or ding. I simply could not buy a pair for that reason alone, and the sound simply could not overcome that.

Disclaimer: My musical 'taste' ranges from Radiohead to Tool to Drowning Pool to Alison Krause to Hoobastank. Not much range, but I know what I like, and, for what I listen to, I didn't like these very much, and the OII not at all. Probably says more about me than anything.

I received the Buffalo today but the post office mangled the box pretty badly. I will go out this week and pick up two boxes to double box this puppy for you guys next in line.

There is one problem though, something is loose in the case and I can see and hear it rattling around inside. It appears to be a small nut but I won't know until I open the case. Since Naaman is offline do you guys think it would be OK to take a look to ensure nothing major is wrong? It would not be a good idea to fire this up knowing something is loose rattling around inside. I feel awkward because this is not my unit and there is no way to reach Naaman for permission first. Obviously if it is something major I will repack the Buffalo and ship it to Naaman in CO.

Yes it appears to be a Pars Metals chassis and it would be a pretty simple procedure for me this evening. I was just uncomfortable in opening up someone elses property and needed you guys to say it's OK.

Fingers crossed it is not something major, you should see the box.