ALO M3?

Pars

I would just like to think that with all the effort you put into the community as a whole, you (and other substantial contributors) were getting a big chunk of that cash/profiteering.

No, I don't. ALO buys blank PCBs and some parts from me at the same price as everyone, and that's it. There is no profit sharing of any kind. I am not looking to make money from this. As you are probably aware, I put in more than I get out of it, not only financially but also in time and energy. It satisfies me enough to know that my work is out there being enjoyed by many people, whether they are DIYers or just music lovers.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, don't get me wrong, I completely appreciate the enjoyment you get out of the work and that you don't do it for the money. It just really, really bugs me that someone else is using your efforts purely for cash.

And not sensible cash like MisterX and Rockhopper, but snakeoil salesman cash.

But ALO is not MisterX or Rockhopper, just like RSA or Headamp is not MisterX or Rockhopper. I already said that as a commercial product, ALO's pricing doesn't seem out of line. I don't know what their overhead is, but the profit is probably smaller than you think. And face it, they are a for-profit business, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Whether they are "using my efforts purely for cash", well, that's a rather cynical view of the situation. Like I said, I do get a kick out of the fact that my stuff is out there being used by many people, and that's worth something to me. If I was seeking cash, I would've negotiated for some sort of payback, but you know, that's not what I am looking for.

Even though I don't agree with the price, I'll have to agree with AMB, he's the designer and he should negociate with Ken the terms.

However I will love to read the reviews of this amp when compared to a DIY mini3 from mister x or rockhopper!

ps: AMB, I don't think that the price includes a LOD, Ken will have packages, but the 285 is for the amp, 9v battery and a charger.

Correct, with the exception of the misleading customers part. Nowhere in his announcement of the double M3 or whatever he is calling it does he spell out that this is a proprietary version (or whatever) of the Mini^3 from Amb Laboratories. I agree that once Amb weighed in, that whatever Ken can sell the product for, etc. is his business. I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not his target market. Many people probably will buy it... good for him.

Incidentally, it'll likely outperform most of the $300 portable amps on the market, so in that sense it will be a success.

Really getting down to the nuts and bolts of this thing, there's little he did that I don't expect out of almost any manufacturer of mid-fi gear. Real legitimate theft is not off the table, and this is hardly that bad. I'm certainly not buying his version, but I can comprehend a real market that would and their decision is fine with me.

KB has renamed the amp to "Double Mini3". This is reflected in the title of his Head-Fi thread and on his website. The initial batch will have "Double M^3" engraved on the front plate because they are already made and is a large investment. Subsequent production will be changed accordingly.

Maybe the first batch will become collectors' items. Hah. ;)