Headamp GS-1 - Or..

UWisconsin77

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these, and as of right now, is the only amp on my list. I've gone through and done "research" on many other amps close to this price, and the GS-1 seems to be extremely flexible with the headphones used (ie wide variety) and seems to be a top-notch amp. The GS-X, despite how badly I want it, can't afford it. Maybe I missed one, that you guys can recommend. And what's your opinion on this amp, for those who have listened or owned it.

Any other recommendations on amps at/very close to $1,000?

I'm not totally set on which HP I want, but am considering both the RS-1 and Senn 650 w/upgraded cable, or SR100's w/HP1000 drivers. And I plan on collecting some OOP HP's too, down the line, which keeps bringing me back to the GS-1 for it's flexibility.

Thanks for your help.. :dan:

the GS-1 is pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's what I keep reading. I hadn't really read anyone with a negative opinion on it, although I do understand we all hear differently, and have different ideas on what is a good value, and what-not. But this seems to work wonders with just about every headphone, performs excellent, and has beautiful casework to boot.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give this thread a bump as I've had the GS-1 in my system for a few days now and I'm very happy with the results. It sounds superb hooked up to the Duet, whether feeding my speakers or headphones. I don't find it at all dry or cold or solid state-y as I thought I might coming from a tube amp. The only change so far is that I'm listening to my 650s more again, as I think they might shade the 600s in this particular combo. It's nice to hear those extra bass notes when they are well controlled.

Must admit, I pulled the trigger on this amp in a rush of blood and then was a little bummed when Ryan's Zana came up shortly afterward, because at the back of my mind I half expected to still end up there anyway. Now, though, I have to say it's really hard to honestly see myself needing to step up much from this level of performance. Such an elegant little thing, too.

I'll stop gushing now. :)