So what's this about ALO breaking HP jacks?

omendelovitz

I'm not surprised this is linked to KB. Honestly, the man is all marketing IMO. He knows that bigger is better in most people's eyes (especially newbies) and takes advantage of the information assymetry. I'll be the first to admit that the mini-mini LOOKS top of the line, but also know that it is wayyyyy overkill. Justin, does the jack break itself or does it actually rip the solder joints? Either way I don't envy your situation. Best of luck with that - given the nature of the business, it's better to eat the cost and move on than have some peeved customer trash your work and your quality (baseless as it would be).

I'm not surprised this is linked to KB. Honestly, the man is all marketing IMO. He knows that bigger is better in most people's eyes (especially newbies) and takes advantage of the information assymetry. I'll be the first to admit that the mini-mini LOOKS top of the line, but also know that it is wayyyyy overkill. Justin, does the jack break itself or does it actually rip the solder joints? Either way I don't envy your situation. Best of luck with that - given the nature of the business, it's better to eat the cost and move on than have some peeved customer trash your work and your quality (baseless as it would be).

The metal contacts inside get slightly bent from up/down/left/right force the bending of the cable puts on it and its enough to break the jack. The insides of the jack still look the same, it doesnt take much.

Forgive my density, but these ALO products are just line out docks, right? The straight ipod LODs don't bypass anything internal to the iPod, correct? And the iMod LOD has Black Gates in it. Why does it need caps?

Someone please 'splain.

The imod removes the caps in the ipod and moves them out to the dock.

I've had rare channel cut-outs from using my ALO Ed9's (w/18AWG Jena cable) through the Predator. Though for me that's understandable. The stiffness of the cable, plus the *thick* Canare 1/8" plugs pulling it at whichever angle doesn't bode well with the sockets so all I had to do is to realign the amp. I mean the Canare jack is half the damn size of the Predator. :palm:

That said I've never heard of Ken's cables damaging headphone jacks :o

Btw I lol'd at the Rocco analogy ;D

So in order to use the 5/5.5G iMod, you must purchase an ALO superblingLODsilverwhosit? And this is not a violative tying arrangement how?

I think it isn't violative because you technically could use an appropriate dock made by someone else. S2 Audio was making them for a while I think.

I just read the Red Wine Audio website because I was curious about what they are selling these days and I came across this.

Red Wine Audio iMod

Do NOT use any other dock cable with your 5G/5.5G iMod or damage *may* occur to your amplifier and/or headphones/speakers. We are NOT responsible for any misuse.

LOL? *may*... they're pretty tricky. I almost didn't catch that.

So in order to use the 5/5.5G iMod, you must purchase an ALO superblingLODsilverwhosit? And this is not a violative tying arrangement how?

I think it isn't violative because you technically could use an appropriate dock made by someone else. S2 Audio was making them for a while I think.

I just read the Red Wine Audio website because I was curious about what they are selling these days and I came across this.

Red Wine Audio iMod

LOL? *may*... they're pretty tricky. I almost didn't catch that.

There is no antitrust violation for the reason Nate said -- the fact is that Vinnie couldn't come up with an iMod for the 5th Generation iPod until Ken had the idea to put the caps in a dock and so ALO came out with the first ones. Others have made them and you are not required to buy one when you buy the iPod so there is no tying or other violation, lawyer Monkey.

The language Nenso quoted doesn't have anything to do with damage to headphone jacks that this thread was about, it has to do with using a regular dock without capacitors in it because doing so can fuck over the speakers or headphones connected to the iMod that way. LOL? :palm: