So what's this about ALO breaking HP jacks?

omendelovitz

I'm not a lawyer, I just play one on the internet!

I always found it just a bit shady that you had to buy a special dock (regardless of who made it) in order to use the later-gen Imods. It just struck me as a) slightly dangerous since from the outside there's no real way to tell if you're looking at an Imod or not and B) the added cost was not insignificant.

One other thing to keep in mind with these things is that pots don't like DC on them (particularly the conductive plastic ones such as Alps, TKD, etc.) So even if you're preamp has coupling caps in it, make sure they happen before the signal hits the pot if you are thinking about using a straight LOD and cable with an iMod. In my Counterpoint tube pre, that is not the case.

The problem isn't the connectors, it's the force exterted by bending cables that thick. They try and straighten out, putting pressure on the inside of the jack.

I see. See...you always learn something new. Maybe it's the new stuff as the dock I have is flexible and has caused no damage at all. I wonder if he is using new materials and if that may be the cause.

I'm also wondering if the people who's jacks are breaking are/are not molding the cables like Ken suggests (or do they already come in the 'U' shape?). I think there is a video on his website showing how that's done.

It would be better if they came with right-angle plugs, but that probably wouldn't sound as good because the electrons would be forced to make a hard turn so they'd have to slow down from the speed of light

It would be better if they came with right-angle plugs, but that probably wouldn't sound as good because the electrons would be forced to make a hard turn so they'd have to slow down from the speed of light

I smell a business opportunity for Platinum ArcJacks. We make them out of cocaine and orgasms, which is a time-consuming -- though not particularly meticulous -- process.

um...Justin, actually, electrons only travel @ about 10% the speed of light - which is why Ken used 18AWG cryologically treated Oxygen free 24K gold large gauge non-stranded wire soldered with 99.999999999999% silver. Only such a high quality connector can handle the 90 degree turn. After all, the signal impedance imposed by a RA plug is much greater, relatively speaking. ALO's optical cables, in contrast, can warp around 90 degree turns unbuffered.

As it turns out in the end, Ken used the straight Canare plugs as he found it helped relieve the signal bottleneck caused by the narrowing on RA plug openings...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Justin isn't the only one to have a problem with ALO cables:

Posted here by Ray Samuels:

Combining this little amp with any NANO Video with a good mini dock cable & lossless files make this little gem one of the greatest companion when traveling.

Please stay away from the very heavy SOLID adaptors that convert

Ray has had ALO cables and docks for a long time. I remember him extolling their virtues in Florida the first time I went there (whenever the hell that was!). Is that relevant to anything, though?

no, I just thought GPH was implying that RSA was having issues with ALO cables, and was pointing out that this isn't the case if he actually owns and praises them... probably my misread (again)

also, looks like Ray owns and uses an ALO cable. continue reading to the next page.

The one Ray is using doesn't look too bad, it seems more flexible than some of the other ALO "designs". I've never used an ALO dock or cable though, so I could be wrong. I just thought Ray was referring to ALO in particular because there are not many companies that I know of that make extravagant docks like them.