Leaving potrable hifi - it's too silly

Luminette

I put this up on the other site as that's where the epidemic lives - maybe it'll help a few people. Toss your 2 cents in if you agree? Maybe they'll listen.

I know, I'm being pretty optimistic :palm:

Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Edited by Luminette
I goofed the thread title.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look what you did :(

As I said in another post, I'm sure the Pico is top-notch both subjectively and objectively (although Luminette's post questions that assessment). But I saw that the Pico's DAC and oversampling chip cost about $20 combined, wholesale (I don't know about the amp parts).

Hi-Fi for $20. In a $499 product. That hurts.

A set of electrolytic output caps makes any turd sound great and you could say that it was OTL... :palm: I really don't see why you wasted time to design the PICO with built in battery charger when you could have some massive external unit and tell everybody that it sounds better that way. :rolleyes:

You're joining the club a little late, don't you think?

And as a reliable source told me some time ago, almost all portable amps are relative sidegrades from each other technically (or downgrades, as some cases might be). Doesn't really take a genius to figure it out either. The best portable amps in the arena are either DIY or produced by HeadAmp. :)

As for portable hi-fi, I think it's patently absurd to amp from a DAP. Most DAPs don't have enough storage space for uncompressed files, and amping MP3 is just plain stupid. That is why I personally use just my IEMs from my DAP, they're more than revealing enough without an LOD & amp (and I hear plenty of MP3 artifacts as it is anyway with 96-256 VBR MP3).

A set of electrolytic output caps makes any turd sound great and you could say that it was OTL... :palm: I really don't see why you wasted time to design the PICO with built in battery charger when you could have some massive external unit and tell everybody that it sounds better that way. :rolleyes:

Piggy-back the batteries on the line-out cable (sold separately) and refer to it as an "active" line-out which obviously provides superior sonic performance to those flawed "passive" cables made by everyone else.

I somehow doubt that the mercury would pass the RoHS mandate... :o Not much of an issue since most of the crap sold in this hobby would never be UL or CE approved.

Hopefully nobody will try to reterminate my mercury cables.

How about nitrogen filled insulation around a nitrogen-treated copper core?

(air)

Your nitrogen insulation has too much impurities in it. :mad: