Leaving potrable hifi - it's too silly

Luminette

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cohorts and I have invented a way to suspend a "super" conductor inside special vacuum-sealed shielding WITHOUT any loss from dielectric interference and (get ready for this) ANY resistance.

I know your thinking "too good to be true" but it isn't! Our "super" wire uses 100% solid stranded niobium and titanium superconducting alloy that is continuously cryogenically treated at near absolute zero to ensure absolutely NO RESISTANCE!!!! If you wish, you can also install one of our patent-pending Josephson junctions to make one source passively feed as many devices as necessary with absolutely NO LOSS!

Once you have one of our cables connected to your terminals, never again will it be questioned what exactly is lost in tow from your precious iPod or other audio equipments outdated connections.

Together with my "super" friends, SARC industries have been created to exclusively sell the entire line of lineout docks, headphone cables, and protection. Products include the Mr. Freeze iPod dock, Frosty the Snowman RCA cables, Yeti XLR, and last but certainly not least, the Frostbite headphone cable line. Once you stick your headphones on your head with these works of physics and art, we promise that you will forever dread the moment you must remove them.

Visit us now and rest assured that your audio equipment will never need another cable ever again.

WARNING: SARC Industries not responsible for any condensation damage on non-SARC products or accessories.

My huge wire company has developed the worlds finest cable. First we start out with 12 gauge steel wire, with the finest in rubber cement insulation, all in a pvc tube stuffed with cotton balls (cotton's a great insulator, right?). Of course it would be nowhere without proper interference, so we wind copper wire around the tubing, with a mini transistor radio hooked up to an am station, and to shield that from outside interference, we have another pvc tube, with an entry point - For liquid Nitrogen. Since Liquid nitrogen wouldn't do much while it's a fluid, we wrap the whole thing with Nichrome wire, which takes an external battery pack ($29.99) and propriatory batteries ($19.99 each, requires 12). Can't have it looking terrible now, with how awesome it sounds, can we? We glued on strips of led's all around, then sheathed it in ers paper, and duct taped it.

I really think we've made the finest wire money can buy. But how flexable is it? Surprisingly so, for a 4 inch diameter cable. Patents pending.

Portable rigs don't suck!

.. as long as the source is good, that is.

IHP120w/32GbCFmod -> iBassoD1w/AD744Dac,AD797L/R,LME46900Buf -> E500 sounds okay to me :cool:

Believe or not, with high detail opamps (most in my stock aren't but the above combination rulezzz!), my hearing got better. Not only I can make out conversations better, I have better pitch. That does not say much about where my hearing was before, right.

Dap outputs are mostly muddy, inarticulate, and lack detailed low end, in my experience. Maybe the Trekstor VibeZ is okay in that regard, but nothing compared to the rig above.

I want a dap with usb out so I can buy a PICO!

Portable rigs don't suck!

.. as long as the source is good, that is.

Portable rigs suck compared to home equipment, but they can be pretty good as long as you don't invest a fortune. Something like iPod > Mini^3 > Etymotic ER4S costs around 500$ and sounds excellent. Which leads me to the question: why do you use a 300$ Nordost interconnect in your portable rig?

why do you use a 300$ Nordost interconnect in your portable rig?

I was originally using it between my microdac and sr-71. nowadays it is mostly collecting dust.

and I paid $175 for it. Still hefty, but back then it was not too much more than the CablePro cable

Tennis balls can produce music? :confused:

I like the soft tapping sound they produce when you bounce them on the court.

And yeah, spending tons of $ on portable rig is teh suck! Waste of $ IMO.

I just plug my iM716 into my Creative MuVo2 FM 5GB when I'm on the go and I'm oh sooo happy.

Whenever I get PMs from newbies on the other site regarding a portable setup, I just tell them to save their money and focus on a good home setup instead.

Anyone here does critical listening while on the go? :P

No? I guessed as much, so yeah, expensive portable setups are the suck when it comes to value for money. 8)

No! How has this thread been derailed by debate!

Portable is teh sux. I listen to bare wire out of a tennis ball.

My only experience is with the Dunlop Grand Prix although they're a bit bright for my tastes. I'm thinking of splashing out and importing a Slazenger instead. I really don't understand why Penn is so popular, just a muddy mess IMHO.

Many dozen hours spent with an ipod + HD650s and amp between classes at a commuting college say otherwise. :)

Does your HD650 serve double duty for home/non portable use too? If so, then you're cheating! :P

Cut the budget by half...

Personally, I think having a headphone to serve double duty is a good way to go.

I'm saying it is "teh suck" when people start compromising on their home setup so that they can have two systems that are roughly the same in performance. I'd rather have an inferior portable system and a superb home setup instead of a two so~so systems.

But in the end, it all comes down to where one does his/her listening. I prefer to have the better setup at home where I can have uninterrupted listening time all to myself. In Uni I'm bound to bump into friends/someone who has something to say, and it sucks having to remove my headphone/IEMs every now and then. >:(

I guess its a moot point. Each person has his/her priorities and compromises. So yeah, whatever floats our goats.... uh boats. I meant boats.

whateverfloatsyourgoat.jpg

Many people use transportable and portable interchangeably. My current transportable rig is EeePc --> Pico --> HD-25. I upgraded the RAM and HD and now have a single rig for portable computing (i.e. away from my desk and phone!!!) and music listening. Since it has multiple functionality it is actually quite cost effective and provides very good SQ to boot. Does it sound as good as my main rig? No. Does it sound as good as my desktop rigs at home and work? Right now I would have to say yes, with the same phones (i.e. HD-25's ) but the desktop rigs can drive more demanding cans (AKG 340's) much better. The reality is that I currently spend my listening time as Transportable = Home desktop > Work Desktop >> Home Main Rig so I'm willing to spend the bucks for it right now. Next year? Who knows.

Many people use transportable and portable interchangeably. My current transportable rig is EeePc --> Pico --> HD-25. I upgraded the RAM and HD and now have a single rig for portable computing (i.e. away from my desk and phone!!!) and music listening. Since it has multiple functionality it is actually quite cost effective and provides very good SQ to boot. Does it sound as good as my main rig? No. Does it sound as good as my desktop rigs at home and work? Right now I would have to say yes, with the same phones (i.e. HD-25's ) but the desktop rigs can drive more demanding cans (AKG 340's) much better. The reality is that I currently spend my listening time as Transportable = Home desktop > Work Desktop >> Home Main Rig so I'm willing to spend the bucks for it right now. Next year? Who knows.

portable == hand-held battery powered source

:)

My only experience is with the Dunlop Grand Prix although they're a bit bright for my tastes. I'm thinking of splashing out and importing a Slazenger instead. I really don't understand why Penn is so popular, just a muddy mess IMHO.

It's pointless to go with the Slazenger unless you have a ball machine.