Leaving potrable hifi - it's too silly

Luminette

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have an inferior portable system and a superb home setup instead of a two so~so systems.

I can respect that. But I still dont regret spending a significant amount of money (compared to what I earned at the time) on aftermarket speakers and a subwoofer/amp for my car during college. Some of my best memories from those years are going up and down I 95 with the car I had at the time, listening to music.

Had I had spent that money on a home setup, I'd have some pretty nice stuff, but I got a lot of mileage out of that system. And now its been transported over to my newest car, which I commute to work with. :)

Leave it to head-casers to actually make portable rigs worth their salt....

I think its now safe to assume that many user's portable rigs on that other site have gotten out of hand and that its largely become a pissing contest without a prize.

ipod foto (with complete lolcats collection) -> koss e90 wif battereez -> stax zomega 2

my portable rig

• 1 month later...

My opinion about all that is yes, portable hifi is silly, as long as you use a mp3 player as source.

Even the Imod + Icap hardly beats the best discman, and is smoked by the Sony Pro Walkman WM D6 playing a good tape (yes of course, because of analog superiority).

Yes i do agree that portable amps are not that good, but try the best ones (Iqube, Pico) with a great home source i.e and efficient good headphones and you'll hear that the overall result can be great, even if it's miles behind a home amp.

So the problem is the MP3 source which is too limited (playing only uncompressed files of course, compressed ones being not listenable

at all). Mp3 is the most convenient, but what you win in convenience, you loose it in quality.

I'm sorry, a WMD6 is not a better source than an ipod if you use a decent amp with the ipod. That doesn't mean portable audiophile rigs aren't silly, tho.

It has nothing to do with the amp. I've got the Imod and the Iqube, whatever the amp used, the WM D6 smokes the Ipod/Imod/Imod + VCap.

The WM D6 even smoke quite a few CD players, linked to a home system.

Because it's analog!

We'll just have to disagree. The inherent problems in cassette aren't improved with a D6 (yes, I've owned a few), and an ipod with good source material can sound a hell of a lot better than anything the D6 can manage. The only "portable" cassette that comes close is the Nak 550, and well. That thing was a monster. The Marantz PMD430 can sound VERY good, but it's still not going to outperform an ipod with good source material.

We'll just have to disagree. The inherent problems in cassette aren't improved with a D6 (yes, I've owned a few), and an ipod with good source material can sound a hell of a lot better than anything the D6 can manage. The only "portable" cassette that comes close is the Nak 550, and well. That thing was a monster. The Marantz PMD430 can sound VERY good, but it's still not going to outperform an ipod with good source material.

Yes we disagree. IMO, the WM d6 is more everything (more matter, more dynamic, more low and high) than any mp3 player, just like a good home deck (Naka 1000zxl) smokes many Cd setups.

I find the Imod to be thin, and badly lacking extension in the highs.

I have heard about that Naka 550 ( reel to reel, isn't it?), i've been interested in this PMD430, but it's a Mono player if i remember well.