Genital Pictures....oh, and pens

naamanf

Not ink, but I've been using these for note taking at work:

And to get a perfect point, use one of these.

Awesomest pencils ever. 

I dont know if anyone is interested, but I found this kickstarter for what looks like VERY cool BIC pen holders while looking for a metal jetstream body. 

http://kck.st/XKqXKc

Only a few days left. 

I have been using a Pentel Graphgear 1000 mechanical pencil (0.7mm, H or 2H) for the last 10 years or so. I love it because the retracting tip means you don't poke holes in stuff. The latest revision even fixed the issue with snapping clips that plagued the design.

That said that Blackwing pencil looks pretty awesome....

Edited by Dreadhead

I have seen those but the non-retracting tip is a no-go for me. I've become too used to that now. You can just clip your pencil to your notebook and there is no maring on the page.

Edit: I see the 800 has the retractable tip.... Interesting

Edited by Dreadhead

Speaking of mechanical pencils, Tombow Zoom 505 was my favorite one while growing up in Japan (I permanently borrowed one from my mother).  I had lost mine over two decades ago during a move and I figured I won't find one again, with Tombow not exactly a household name in this country.  I guess I was wrong - Tombow Zoom 505 Mechanical Pencil.  Now that I've found it, I probably will end up with one, along with its rollerball sibling (which is called Ultra for some reason in this country).

Chris, I have been poked hundreds of times and more than half blood has been drawn but the pencil is just so perfectly weighted, it seems like a shame to make the tip retractable. It's the perfect weapon as is. To write and to fight. However, with a small person around the house with you, i dont know if it would be safe. I've had mine for over 10 years now. People still ask how I get by with just 2 pencils and not lose them.

I'm not that into writing instruments, but I happen to have a Mont Blanc Boheme fountain pen and a Mont Blanc Starwalker Rollerball/Fineliner pen. They are gifts from my parents. I find weight distribution more important than anything else, and Mont Blanc does it very well. I never felt the need to press down for the ink to flow smoothly and never had sore hands after hours of note taking (unlike when writing those awful generic pens..) I haven't tried Lamy's or Pelikan's pens, so maybe they work just as well at a fraction of the price?

As for pencil, I'm still using those yellow wooden ones. ;D

Didn't even realize this thread existed.  I spent about 10 minutes today trying to get a stuck ink cartridge out of my Vanishing Point.  After I managed to get it out, I realized that my box of ink cartridges was empty.  I guess I'll be ordering them along with more of my favorite pen - Pilot Precise V5.

Oh, and love the photo, Ari.

Salty - I have a Decimo (slimmer version VP) and have used a cartridge adapter exclusively. If you end up going the adapter and bottled ink route, the latest CON-50 converter has a sliding metal tube inside the body that really helps with ink flow (prevents vacuum, maybe?). There are so may colors of ink out these days; it's half the fun. Try Goulet Pens for parts and ink; they are great folks.

Favorite mechanical pencil - Uni Kuru Toga Roulette .05 - it has a ratchet in the tip so it rotates the lead a tiny increment each time the tip touches writing surface (more effective for printing, obviously...). Even with HB lead, have never boken the lead while writing. Section is knurled with a decent diameter; very comfortable in hand.

Favorite (fountain) pen - Nakaya black urushi Piccolo with broad cursive italic nib. This zen-like instrument is in my shirt pocket every day for work and on keyboard on weekends. It is a joy to use; absolutely effortless writing and ink flow with very cool line variation.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just spent about 15 min trying out both pencils in usage with various leads and the Rotring is superior to the Pentel in both comfort and control. I switched the lead to 2H but I also tried the HB and the H and I think I may end up at H after this is done. One thing that always was a bit offputting about the pentel was distance from the grip to the tip seemed long for how I write and it would irritate my supporting finger, the Rotring decreases this distance by 5-8mm which is long way and much more comfortable.

The Pentel is officially retired as of today and will become my backup pencil (too bad I just bought spare parts and a backup of it is sitting at home).

Very happy with the purchase :)

Now I need to find a package of eraser refills (which are 800 only and I can't put my own eraser in). I don't use the erasers except in emergencies but I want to have spares.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have just noticed that I am out of fountain pen ink.  Any recommendations or favorites you all have?  I am looking for bottles of ink not cartridges.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Edited by Augsburger

I have just noticed that I am out of fountain pen ink.  Any recommendations or favorites you all have?  I am looking for bottles of ink not cartridges.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I spent years using all the saturated inks (noodlers and private reserve), but these days I prefer an ink that easily washes out of the pen, even if it means it doesn't look quite as bold on the page.

Don't get me wrong, noodlers and PR make great ink, and they look awesome on paper, it just takes a little while longer to clean them out of your pens. And since I procrastinate heavily on cleaning when swapping pens out of my rotation, I prefer an ink that is less bold.

Sheaffer Skrip Blue is my new absolute favorite. Its what Mottishaw & Co. use at their shop (nibs.com). It has fantastic flow, looks really nice on paper, washes out of pens easily, and as a bonus it washes off your hands easily as well.

Another alternative is Diamine. They have struck a great balance between richness of saturation and flow/cleanability. 

I also use Aurora blue, keep a bottle at work for when my pen runs out in them middle of the day. 

Sheaffer Skrip + my Onoto Magna (f nib) is about as good a writing experience as I've had. I also love my Omas Bronze Arco Milord (traded my Nakaya Portable for that), but the Onoto nib is a better writer.