Genital Pictures....oh, and pens

naamanf

After a two month back-order, I received my Pelikan M805 Stresemann. I like it, a lot. Work still necessitates use of a ballpoint often so I laser-engraved my Zebra F701.

John, putting a new nib on a Pilot Metro should be as easy as pulling out the nib and feed with a bit of strength and swapping in another from a cheaper pen. I've done this by putting the nib from a $9 Plumix onto a Prera. All the same fit.

So everything really DOES come back to phallic symbolism!

No.  It really doesn't.   Just because the observer and 99% of the observees agree, doesn't make it so.  You have to establish a causal relationship, and test for the actual causality, rather than just statistical correlation.  May I remind you:  sausage factory here.

• Like 1

I went though a pens phase a year or so ago, and still love and use them at my desk.

A boxed late 1940s Parker 51 Vacumatic plus matching pencil in blue

My Dad's early 1950's Parker 51 Aerometric in black

A  1988 Parker 95 Insignia

A Sheaffer PFM in blue - actually to eventually replace my original which was stolen when a student in the mid 70's

A Sheaffer 1001 Targa - actually to replace my original, bought for me by my wife in the late 70's and stolen last year.

A green marbled Conway Stewart 75 circa 1950

But I've stopped now - it is a small collection that gets used and gives me great pleasure.

• Like 1

I went though a pens phase a year or so ago, and still love and use them at my desk.

But I've stopped now - it is a small collection that gets used and gives me great pleasure.

I love the bolded line. That would be a great place to be at for a lot of the hobbies/interests I have had over the years.

**BRENT**

• Like 2

No. It really doesn't. Just because the observer and 99% of the observees agree, doesn't make it so. You have to establish a causal relationship, and test for the actual causality, rather than just statistical correlation. May I remind you: sausage factory here.

Not sure if you're joking, but I was ...

Sorry, shrink humor there, probably only funny to my shrink friends. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2014, 1:25:01, nikongod said:

So I have had this pen for just under 3 weeks now, and have been using it as my primary pen, with the Zebra F-701 with Fisher refill as a backup. 

My impressions are as follows. 

The good:

The pen its self is great. I was not sure how I would take to the hexagonal barrel, but I find it quite comfortable. It is slightly slimmer than the barrel of the 701, which I knew going into this, and was also a little apprehensive - the 701 was always quite comfortable to write with and this pen is too. I have had Rotrings and the 701, which are both on the heavy side since just about forever and really got used to them. After a few days writing with the 849 it became pretty easy. Although the Rotrings & F701 have a more substantial feel, I think they kind of develop momentum and "get away from you" moving whichever way they feel like... The lighter pen is very controllable. 

The "silent" clicker is pretty cool. "Silent" is in quotes, because you know, but if you are a habitual pen clicker this pen will probably save your co-workers some aggravation. 

This pen has what could be the most badass pocket clip EVER put on a $25 pen. Like wow. I'm not sure how durable it is (I don't use pocket clips) but the way the angular band wraps around the hexagonal barrel is really cool. 

The pen will take a Parker style refill. I got them both to work without any mods (fisher with the little adapter thingy they include) although some reports on the internet say the plastic tops need to be filed down a few mm to fit.

The bad: 

The Goliath refill that the pen comes with is kind of blah. It does not write as dark as the Fisher refill without serious downforce (it might work better in a heavier pen) and it has more drag than the Fisher - which is about the highest I'm willing to put up with. They claim it will run 8000M (600 pages!), but if it writes like this who cares?...

The finish on the pen does not feel quite as durable as my old Rotrings. It has not scratched through (yet) but it went from flat black to shiny black in spots within a day of putting it in my pocket with more spots getting shiny since. The pen would look great in gloss black - if it were uniform, but of course since this is wear it's not. The pen is apparently available in "raw" aluminum which may look nicer. 

Hello Head-case. 

It is with great happiness that I type some more about my pen. 

As you can see, I have had this pen for a bit over a year now, and have used it daily. I did some reversible mods to it (sort of) which I reversed and am actually pretty happy with the pen's overall performance - out of the box!

My previously mentioned concerns about the finish of the pen were largely unfounded. The finish has held up QUITE nicely - it did indeed get a little shiny (and has *still* not gotten uniform...) but has not scratched through, except right at the tip where the pen has been dropped onto the floor countless times. I was also concerned about the pocket clip, and it has stood up well. I recently started clipping the pen into my man-satchel, so the clip is getting used, and it is holding up well.

As previously mentioned I put a few standard parker refills in the pen. They fit without modifications if you are careful to align everything well. I started with a few refills salvaged from free pens you get at trade shows.... This was a mistake & I am happy to say that there are worse refills than the Goliath :P . Then I had the pen using a Quink refil for a few weeks. This was a HUGE mistake, as the Quink is verry non-waterfast, and a few drops of water erased some work I was working on at work. Oops. I reverted to the OEM goliath cartridge. The cartridge is still a bit on the "stiff" side, but for a cartridge that has run for basically a full year I gotta give it some credit. Please make no mistake, I am anxiously awaiting the day it finally fucking dies so I can put a Fischer refill in without being wasteful but I'm not so disgusted that I cant use this one up. 

All in all, I am happy with this purchase. My only complaint is that the Goliath cartridge lasts too long, and is not bad enough to just throw away. Even it has its merits. 

Edited by nikongod
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

My best friend gave me a sealed Pilot Kakuno pen, for my birthday.  This is the one that's really made for children, and has a smiley face on the nib.  It's adorable, in its packaging, but I finally wanted to use it, so I dug into my pen box to find the CON-50 converter I knew I had.  I found the converter, but I also found my 1977 fine nib Long Murex.  I swear I sold this, last spring.  I guess not, since I have the pen but don't any bad ratings on eBay.  I had dropped it, at some point, and a plastic piece inside the cap (which keeps the cap from spinning, when the pen is closed) had broken.  I'm thrilled to find it, as I didn't want to sell it.  It goes off to the pen hospital at Pilot in Jacksonville, Fl tomorrow.  My guess is that it ends up going to Japan, but I've waited this long on a pen I didn't even know I still had!

The Kakuno writes much better than it has any right to.  Better than my Waterman Kultur Phileas, and about on par with my Lamy All-Star (which is my benchmark for inexpensive fountain pens).

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...