Etymotic ER4p vs Shure SE310

ilikebananafudge

Hey y'all,

So I have some shure se310s, but I was wondering if getting a pair of ER4ps would be an upgrade. I hear that the etymotics are rather bass shy, but I'm not a basshead, as long as I can hear it and its nice and tightly controlled.

Here's some other information. I'll probably be using the phones mostly in my dorm room from my home rig so that I don't bother my roommate when he is trying to study (my HD650s obviously leak a lot). I listen to all kinds of music, rock, indie, metal, jazz, classical, and reggae. I value clarity more than almost everything else.

I also listen at pretty low levels, especially on IEMs. I really don't like the 310s if they're turned up, they get an odd tonality, but when they're on quiet volume, they're not so bad. I also would like better isolation, even though the shures are great, I hear that the etymotics are better for this, is that true?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Also, they isolate better, no?

When I use my ER4S in the metro, I don't hear the metro. That itself is a good reason for me to keep them. They sound pretty good also, but they do lack some bass if used straight from an iPod, which is what I do most of the time.

I've never heard a Shure model I thought competed with the Etys, but it depends if the top or bottom of the spectrum is more important to you. If you come from the ER4S-side (which as you mentioned is bass shy in comparison), Shures (and most UEs for that matter) sound a bit muddy. Think of the dyna/stats rule.