America...

postjack

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you get past the emotion and pageantry, this election was seriously a case of really shitty candidate versus really shitty candidate. buckle in, boys.
Listen I'm as suspect of some of the glowing Obama commentary I hear out there, but that's an amazingly cynical notion to imply all Obamas support and voter expectations comes only narrowly from emotion and pageantry.

i can't get excited about a president who, only a few months back in his role as a senator, promised to not vote for a measure that would give telecom companies immunity in illegal wire tapping cases and then turns around votes for a measure to give telecom companies immunity in illegal wire tapping cases. when you get past the emotion and pageantry, this election was seriously a case of really shitty candidate versus really shitty candidate. buckle in, boys.

I agree.

blah, blah, and blah :asshat:

Cynical is an understatement on an undeniably historic evening. Fuck yeah, indeed!

Democrats have greater control of the House and Senate, too. Obama himself, aside from the FUCKING RIDICULOUS force-feeding one receives in the Chicago area, would be a giant meh to me with a balanced legislative branch, but that combo is legitimately making me nervous. I used to mock the anti-Bush fanatics, but now I understand that mindset a tiny bit better.

I can't get over how a lot of people fawn over Obama and his campaign around here. Seriously, people going around like "Happy Obama Day", "Did you vote for change?", etc. obnoxiously in public today. If a bunch of Christians were like "Happy Jesus Day" on Easter, they'd be lampooned for being scary, primitive fanatics. Wonderful double standard going on there.

I certainly wasn't voting for someone this election, only against.

But my point isn't who people supported or what their beliefs are, but how they went about it. I don't know how to describe it, really, other than fanaticism.

Eight years ago I looked at the TV screen and turned to my wife and said, "George W. Bush is evil". Nothing in the last eight years has made me rethink that assessment. Today is like the sun coming up on a new day. I am very, very happy and I do not care who knows it. My guess is a lot of other people feel the same way.

George Bush wasn't either of the candidates in this election. I honestly hope that Barak turns out to be what his supporters hope he will turn out to be. What scares me is he's never done anything but run for office. He reminds be of another bright shining beacon elected for his charisma who got us into vietnam, the bay of pigs, the cuban missile crisis, and who was then assassinated. It's historic that America voted a black man into office. I hope that turns out to be enough. That he rises to the occassion. I believe his supporters are generally sincere. I'm not so big on charismatic politicians, but I do get the appeal. He's a great blank slate for people to pin their hopes and dreams on.

Edited by grawk

George Bush wasn't either of the candidates in this election.

But unfortunately, policy-wise, McCain/Palin was more a clone of Bush/Cheney than I was comfortable with. So whether he was a candidate or not, his past eight years certainly had a huge effect on how I voted. In reality, the main cause of the Republican demise in 2008 is Bush 2000-2008.

I was really saddened by McCains decisions in this election. As far as I'm concerned this was not the John McCain of 2000. This was someone who sold his reputation, integrity and ideals for his party's nomination. Palin I will not even comment on as she is beneath notice.

In other news, the good citizens of MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts also voted today to legaliiiize eet if that's your thing (OK, not quite, but decriminaliiiize eet is a bit of a mouthful). Come for the weed, stay for the gay marriage. Or vice versa, I guess.

I always wondered what the Founding Fathers would think of the Drug War, and many other current policies besides. Seriously, if you want to power all of DC, all you need to do is attach a turbine to their graves.