recommendations for closed phones

diebenkorn

The HD201s do sound pretty damn good for the money, but I didn't feel they isolated particularly well.

I've been fairly happy with my K81 DJs. I use them on bus trips when coaching, and often at track meets before or after the vault is done. Neither situation is particularly quiet, and while they don't isolate as well as IEMs, they do quite well. I should also note that I did swap out the Senn velour pads on the K81s to great effect... Redued bass a bit, resulting in a far more balanced phone at the expense of a bit of isolation.

Are you ruling out IEMs? Etymotic ER4S, when properly amped, sounds better to my ears than all the closed phones I've heard, and that includes Denon D5000. It also provides much better isolation, perhaps too much in certain situations. Closed phones have a weird resonance that makes the bass somewhat boomy and I'm really not a fan of that type of sound.

Are you ruling out IEMs? Etymotic ER4S, when properly amped, sounds better to my ears than all the closed phones I've heard, and that includes Denon D5000. It also provides much better isolation, perhaps too much in certain situations. Closed phones have a weird resonance that makes the bass somewhat boomy and I'm really not a fan of that type of sound.

Never got comfortable with them and might be too much isolation but headroom has them so will keep them in mind. Also not going to use an amp for these. I will check into the other suggestions as well, even the rotary phone though i prefer this http://www.boygeniusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/image/cell-phone-booth.jpg