Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC

thrice

Guest sacd lover
Buffalo owns my panties. I miss the one I put together.

I cant imagine how good this one you built would be with a better output stage. I know some of you seem satisfied with the IVY .... but I think the IVY really handicaps the Buffalo compared to my dacs with zap filter or similar discrete output stages. I like the Opus / zap filter FF build better. But, I think the Buffalo has more potential.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I discovered about the Zapfilter though, is that it seems to impart it's own sound sig. on everything it's connected to. Not sure that's a bad thing, because it sounds good, but I'm wanting to hear another discrete output stage to judge.

Good to see you over here Brian!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm trying to find the Buff32.

I thought this thread is about the Buffalo.

My prediction is that you'll waste a lot of quality listening time waiting for a 32 and given my own Buffalo experience thrice's DAC will sound outstanding. And I also think you'll have a hard time finding a well built example with the options that you're looking for in the ~$1200 ballpark. I wouldn't do it.

I have to agree with Nate, I have put in about $700+ in parts and I do not have any casework, USB input or controller/display pieces/parts yet. Unless someone grossly undervalues their labor it may be hard to find someone to build one for you for that price. That being said, this thing has an astounding level of flexibility and potential from my rather simplistic viewpoint.

My prediction is that you'll waste a lot of quality listening time waiting for a 32 and given my own Buffalo experience thrice's DAC will sound outstanding. And I also think you'll have a hard time finding a well built example with the options that you're looking for in the ~$1200 ballpark. I wouldn't do it.

Of course you wouldn't. After all, you're retired. :P

This thread is about the buffalo, yes; but it's not quite about purchasing a pre-built one though :)

That's ok, we don't need to have new threads created for simple questions. You don't need to worry about controlling things like that.