Twisted Pear Buffalo DAC

thrice

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction is that you'll waste a lot of quality listening time waiting for a 32 and given my own Buffalo experience thrice's DAC will sound outstanding. And I also think you'll have a hard time finding a well built example with the options that you're looking for in the ~$1200 ballpark. I wouldn't do it.

I know it'd be difficult to hear the difference between the Buff and Buff32 but I always have the new-stuff syndrome. Hopefully the 32 will sound great with the SR-007.

Yeah, you might not even get a chance to order a 32 (although I think they're currently in stock) before there's a replacement in the works.

Yeah, they're currently in stock for now, but won't ship until July 1st.

Yeah, you might not even get a chance to order a 32 (although I think they're currently in stock) before there's a replacement in the works.

Yea I think the only reason they lasted as long as they did this time is because of the holiday weekend and the fact that many want to wait until the "tweakers" model, or whatever it's gonna be, is released. That and the placid power supply, for me anyway.

I just saw pics of naamanf's build. It looks modular enough that I'm interested in attempting much the same thing, though I doubt I could match the casework at all. What I'd like to know is, how hard would it be for an amateur like me to build something much the same? My level of technical literacy extends as far as knowing what components are, and how circuits work basically. I can handle soldering well enough and I recognise the TP modules. Also, what would be the $$ for the innards? Less than $1k? I reacall someone saying they'd spent $700 already on building one.

Beefy gave a post with a price list for all the components, came in close to $1k. I forget where he posted but I think it was HF.

With the 32s/ESS9018 you have onboard IVY II, so you wont need a seperate module for that, just power supplies and whatever input module(s) you want.

My semi-educated guess is that one could easily spend the better part of a grand or more building a Buffalo 32. The base module kit is $569, then you'll need a chassis ($100 easy), ins, outs, potentially source selection of some kind, trafos, wiring, etc, etc.

I think I've got my head around it now, using the internal pic of naamanf's. I don't know what the modules are on the far left for power, nor the black box, but I got a total of $1061 for built boards, including the re-clocking board, and assuming I only need 3 power boards and three transformers, two included with the Buffalo board in dual-mono config, and one for the rest of the boards. Then I'd need help figuring out wiring for the power input to the transformers. Does this sound about right?

I think I've got my head around it now, using the internal pic of naamanf's. I don't know what the modules are on the far left for power, nor the black box, but I got a total of $1061 for built boards, including the re-clocking board, and assuming I only need 3 power boards and three transformers, two included with the Buffalo board in dual-mono config, and one for the rest of the boards. Then I'd need help figuring out wiring for the power input to the transformers. Does this sound about right?

The buffalo board is in back right. Just left of it is a 4:1 MUX SPDIF board for switching between digital inputs. In front of those two boards are two LCBPS and one LCDPS board. Then the three trannies, all 15VA load, 2 with 15+15V secondaries (for the LCBPS's) and one with 9+9 V secondaries (for the LCDPS). On the back panel is the small toslink input board and underneath he is using the board from an M-audio transit for USB input. The black box is a relay for the power switch. That's about $900 and then there is the casework and connectors plus I probably missed a few other pieces/parts so $1000 is pretty minimal. $1200 - $1500 is not an unreasonable cost estimate. I'm not sure what you mean by the reclocking board as the ESS chip does the reclocking.

Oh and it is even more impressive seeing it in person. I can only aspire to such build quality.

Edited by morphsci

morphsci: Thanks for that summary, it helps. So the Metronome ASRC isn't needed? I'm guessing not if it isn't in that build.

Some of you will be amused to know I'm contemplating gutting my Compass to use the case as a box for one, if I go ahead with a build, after I've recovered from the double-punch of HD-800s and HF-2s.

• 7 months later...