E500 Cable Cracked

penger

So after two long years of service, the cable above the left ear bud of my E500's has cracked. Because it is outside the two year limited warranty, I was wondering if it would be worth looking for someone to recable them or to send them to sure and pay for the repair.

For anyone who has sent their 'phones into Shure beyond the 2 year mark... did you have to pay a $145 service fee as listed on their website? (http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_us_pa/documents/web_resource/us_pa_doc_service_fees.pdf) Or is it likely that the repair or switch (by most accounts that's what they do) will cost less than that?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old models = conduit that dries, cracks.

New models = supposed revisions to conduit.

So you're saying that in the old model, once the cable has kinda molded into its shape from wear, it cracks from drying out? The sleeving/tubing can dry? Sorry I'm an idiot, I know.

I've just sent my second pair in for repair. The first ones lasted 6 months the second ones a year. :( At least after the first one they "upgraded" me from a S500 to SE 530 (I know they are the same drivers).

We shall see how long it will take them to return them. I'm trying to decide if I will sell them afterwards but I think I will. I'm tired of them doing this and they don't sound as good as my new Ety ER4S (to me) anyway. ;D

I've just sent my second pair in for repair. The first ones lasted 6 months the second ones a year. :( At least after the first one they "upgraded" me from a S500 to SE 530 (I know they are the same drivers).

We shall see how long it will take them to return them. I'm trying to decide if I will sell them afterwards but I think I will. I'm tired of them doing this and they don't sound as good as my new Ety ER4S (to me) anyway. ;D

Yep, same thing happened to me, the first pair's cable broke after 8 months, sent them in. On 2nd pair one side sounded muffled after 1 year because a filter fell out somehow, sent them in again. Sold the third pair to a guy in the Netherlands, his wire broke and they were only weeks old, but Shure Europe replaced them. So I will be staying away from Shures for a while and I agree the ER4's sound better.

that's markl's website, if you couldn't tell.

He used to write pretty good reviews (compared to Head-fi standards anyway), but my opinion of him went downhill very fast in the last couple of months.

He went from "sharing his knowledge about modding Denon headphones" to "help a couple of guys who didn't want to do the mods themselves", to "start a new legion of fanboys" and now "having a fugly website and selling overpriced Jena cables". He even took time between all that to display some asshatery on Head-case a few months ago. :palm:

Oh gawd... I'd seen this a couple of days ago but hadn't actually looked at his website. I like the "Sale" items section Sale Items. I'll give you $9.99 for that pair of W5000s, but please take that fugly Jena cable off and put the stock one back on :palm: And he even uses those really fugly cable pants from Qables or PartsExpress (made for speaker cables). Pure win on that one...

What, no testimonials yet? :rofl:

What's up with the shitty model names? I thought the Lamborghini LP560-4 had a pretty ridiculous name... MD7000 DE sounds like a cheap OEM part number.

This is also beyond confusing:

A MD2000 will outperform a stock AH-D5000.

A MD5000 will outperform a stock AH-D7000.

All MD Deluxe Edition (DE) Series will outperform all MD Series.

A MD5000 Deluxe Edition (DE) will outperform a MD7000.

All LA Series will outperform all MD Deluxe Edition (DE) Series.*

A LA7000 will outperform all the rest.*

The stock D5000 & up would have to sound pretty different than the D2000s for me to even consider using them as the starter phone. The whole thing reminds me of Darth Beyers, where most seem to end up happier starting with a better headphone to begin with. The D2000s are probably the least neutral phone I've heard.