The sickness has spread - the vinyl rig begins...

n_maher

While helping my older brother move a couple weeks ago he mentioned that he was going to ebay his TT. I had remembered it being a decent player so I offered to keep it in the family.

So as of today, I'm the proud owner of a pretty mint Thorens TD 160 MKI.

large.jpg

It has the original tonearm and cartridge, the latter of which will be replaced as soon as funds present themselves. Also, tomorrow I'll be ordering up the DIY version of the Hagerman Bugle which I've been told should fit nicely into my mid-fi vinyl plans. Best part is the TT came complete with 30 albums or so including some original Zeppelin and other stuff my brother had picked up along the way.

Nate

The cover is in decent shape, I think with a little polish I can have it looking mint. One of the pivots is broken on the cover (the only permanent blemish) but for the price it was too good to pass up. I also rescued my old Marantz TT while I was home today, might try to fix that one up and then show it to Jahn and torture him with it. It'd fit right in with the Tower of Power >:D.

the gary coleman love doll you won on ebay is finally arriving?

My wife and I go to a local restaurant that Coleman frequents. I so desperately want to say to him "what you talking about Willis," but I don't think with his temperament he would respond too well. So I give the former kid star a break.

Yeah I'm too lazy to even change a cd... computer ftw! :P;D

yeah me too

anyhow I noticed how a basic TT system sounds much better then my Shanling s100 mkII , and somewhat better then the Wadia 301 too . Yes .

I might very well take the TT road too .

My TT is rotting on top of a shelf right now - I have to admit, computer-as-source is way too easy to have to reach for vinyl as an alternative. but for looks, you gotta have a platter on top of your tower!

Yeah, I'm hold no illusions about going completely vinyl or anything like that. The opportunity was too much to pass up though, plus it gives me an excuse to build a phono stage. Yay, more projects (I need more of those like I need another whole in the head).

And this is what my Marantz TT looks like:

6300.jpg

Hey congrats!! I hope you derive many hours of joy from that TT!

The way to go (IMHO) about vinyl is to solely buy used. It can be inspected on the premises for warpness, scratches or even some places will have a decent TT to test for noise level.

The ammount of warped records and high background noise I've found in recent producing bands (read current productions) basically has turned me away from buying new. Absolutely crazy.

Of course the downside of that is the limited availability of contemporary material....

I really enjoy my TT, but I also agree that it is not for everyone. I guess I am old enough to have actually bought some vinyl when there was only vinyl to be bought. That gave me somewhat more of an acquaintance with the media, I guess. As an aside, my first record ever was "Flick of the switch" by AC/DC :P

bah, that marantz TT pic is blocked at work, i'll check it at home.

btw, the virgin megastore here in nyc carries tons of vinyl, even albums of contemporary artists and audiophile reissues. they cost a ton but it's nice that the option is there. they also carry the DJ discs of course as well.

Good move, Nate. That was a well respected turntable in it's day; I once owned one (in the early 70's).

Wait till you go to buy a new cartridge. That's where I am with my own TT. Sticker shock. I still remember buying a Shure V15-II for $49. Can't shake that :)

i was sooo lucky to find a NOS ortofon OM10 stylus for 25 shipped on ebay since the cart was just fine. i admit, it sounds nice, but my TT's quartz tracking is broken so i have to "figure out" the correct speed on my own using the pitch control...too much hassle!

Hehehe, if I wanted a boring thread discussing the various plusses and minuses of the TT I'd have started it over there!

diff23.jpg

And with that the thread is completely hijacked! O0

Who the fuck cares? Well, I could think of at least one person... :P